Sport Bikes banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damage protection is your best insurance I have had one of my bikes knocked over by my dog in the garage, he was scared $4itless of lightning and tried to hide under it. Fortunately He was not hurt and the bike had frame sliders, oversize spools on the swingarm, foldaway levers and heavy clear number plate film on places the fairing might touch down. I also replace the bar ends on my sportbikes with high density poly ones and have a habit of folding my mirrors in when parked (that one can be a pain in the ass) As far as parking lot stuff I suggest an alarm with motion sensor and remote notification (either key fob or phone) where I live kids climbing on your bike is a problem.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
He's in Canada. It's a whole different ballgame there.

PhilB
He's also 22. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the same thing here in the states at that age. When I bought my ZX6 I was quoted over $5k a year, which is the same amount I paid for the bike. Needless to say I went liability only. Now at 32 I pay $400 a year for a Ducati 1098s. Well worth it IMO with how much those pretty plastics cost.

Bottom line, if you're worried about it get insurance. If you cant afford to drop $1000-1500 on repairs, get insurance. If you cant afford insurance either, get another dirt bike, this hobby is too expensive for you.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There probably is a ktm 690 in my future as a second bike, but in the mean time I'm not parking this thing in public parking lots. Could I afford to fix it? Yes... but at that kinda money it's not worth the risk and the insurance damn sure isn't worth it. After the deductible I would have to drop it four times in a year to get my money's worth.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
He isn't in Canada.

PhilB
Thanks, I couldn't read that. Regardless, insurance is insurance, cost is cost.

Also, to be specific, SK is different. Other provinces use a more "normal" insurance system. Although I maintain that if anyone can complicate ANY insurance system beyond comprehension, its an american.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I dropped my Tiger in my driveway today, total cost of repair, $10 for a indicator lens. Yay for crash bars. Somehow the crash bar itself has no marks at all. Got some scuffs on the side case, but I already had some scuffs there from the last time I dropped it so no big deal there. =) That was lucky, the last tipover in my driveway was about $100. I really need to get that driveway fixed, it's all warped and wavy with tons of potholes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

21 - 27 of 27 Posts