Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take a ratchet set with extensions, reducers, and sockets for replacing, adjusting the chain and removing the calipers, plus the oil drain plug.

Oil filter wrench

Pliers - Vise Grip, needlenose, standard size

Screwdrivers - Phillips and flat, plus an interchangeable one (handle with bits)

Electrical tape

Bailing wire

Wire cutters and strippers

Fuses

Tire repair kit

What should I just not bother with on a '98 F3 that has so far been nothing but reliable? Or should I add more stuff? At least my '94 EX500 had broken down once or twice on the street, lol.

I am trying to cut down on cargo so that it's just essential tools, some clothes, and my camera gear. In other words, Givi topcase and a small tankbag.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You've got a pretty good list there. I'd add an extra rectifier to the list and 2 adjustable wrenches (or 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 22, and 27 mm wrenches) and you should be ok.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
fotocycle said:
I take a ratchet set with extensions, reducers, and sockets for replacing, adjusting the chain and removing the calipers, plus the oil drain plug...
Dude that's a ton of tools. Are you putting them in the passenger saddle compartment?

I'm only fitting the OEM tool kit, extra fuses, disk lock, clean rag, a first aid kit, owner's manual and my registration.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention an adjustable wrench and a few open-ends, like a 10, 12, 14... Also a set of Allen keys, chain lube, WD-40, and a quart of oil.

Thanks for the rectifier idea, nc! I'll pick one up.

I actually have an improved tool kit in the compartment in the bike, and where the owner's manual goes (the other little compartment) is the tire repair kit. The tool kit has a tire gauge, adjustable wrench, the Allens, small pliers, small ratchet tool with interchangeable bits, fuses, interchangeable screwdriver... the other stuff is thrown into a roll and taken only on longer rides, and in the saddlebags (soon to be the Givi).

But I see some people don't carry much of anything at all. I only carry what I may need out in the middle of nowhere (my fave place in the world :) ) and that I actually know how to use it. Actually, the stuff to work on the chain is semi-useless as I don't have a centerstand - and I've no room for a rear wheelstand!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I carry the tools that came with the bike, plus a couple extra allen wrenches and screwdrivers, 1 spare light bulb, fuses, tire repair kit, electrical tape and gas siphon.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
When you guys say extra fuses, do you mean more than the extra ones already in the fuse box?

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
I carry the OEM toolkit, some zip ties, a reflective vest and a poncho in the trunk

·
Registered
404 Posts
enos said:
When you guys say extra fuses, do you mean more than the extra ones already in the fuse box?
yes, because on a few occasions I've blown the same fuse more than once on the same trip.

One trip I blew the headlight fuse 4 times and went through two headlight bulbs, I had an electrical problem of some sorts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Geez....you carry an extra rectifier? Why not carry an extra rear tire. Just kiddin...but really...I like my extra space used for clothes and really needed tools..or laptop computer ;)

Keith

·
Registered
143 Posts
The older the bike, the more tools I carry;) I go nowhere without my 18" breaker bar, I'll be damned if I'm struggling with the crappy tools you get in the kit. I would love to see someone try to appy 75 ft/lbs to lossen a axle nut. I carry alot of tools and spares parts, bulbs, fuses, oil, lubes, long nose pliers, cotter pins, all the standard metric wrenches and sockets, duct tape, zip ties, first aid kit, tire inflation kit with plugs. I carry both the larger blade fuses for older bikes, and the mini ones for modern bikes. The day Vivid had electrical problems I didn't have the mini's so now I carry them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
tt600khatf said:
Geez....you carry an extra rectifier? Why not carry an extra rear tire. Just kiddin...but really...I like my extra space used for clothes and really needed tools..or laptop computer ;)

Keith
Some of the really hardcore distance riders do carry spare rubber. I wish I could I have an 18" rear, and rubber is uncommon for it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For the time being I'm just keeping the stock toolkit and the stock spare fuses. The way I look at it, there are few problems that I could have that I could actually solve at the site without replacement parts available. Perhaps the first time my bike leaves me stranded I'll feel differently. However I think the extra fuses and bulb are a good idea, so perhaps I'll pick up a few of those.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
My tire repair kit consists of a can of fix-a-flat. I tried to use the spoons to take the tire off, and I just made it worse. Theres no way I could change a tube on the side of the road. The hole repair(tubeless) kits still need an inflation device to get it back up, so the FaF does the trick for me. At least enough to get me where I can get a tire fixed properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts