Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealer today picking up some oil when I got to talking with one of the salesmen. I was looking at the new cruisers when the salesmen mentions that that particular motorcycle should get about 100k before it craps out. I told him that I had and fz6 (he gave me a dirty look for some reason :eek:nfloor ) and he then told me that I probably wont get more than 20-30k miles before I have to look into an overhaul or replacing the entire motor. I told him he was ridicules and walked out and went to another dealer to buy my oil. I exspected to get more like 75k+ before having to even think about a major repair. Im I mistaken or was he right.

:fiddy

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
jesseyo said:
I was at the dealer today picking up some oil when I got to talking with one of the salesmen. I was looking at the new cruisers when the salesmen mentions that that particular motorcycle should get about 100k before it craps out. I told him that I had and fz6 (he gave me a dirty look for some reason :eek:nfloor ) and he then told me that I probably wont get more than 20-30k miles before I have to look into an overhaul or replacing the entire motor. I told him he was ridicules and walked out and went to another dealer to buy my oil. I exspected to get more like 75k+ before having to even think about a major repair. Im I mistaken or was he right.

:fiddy
Only time will tell for sure. I think there are some guys in the 25,000 mile range already and I haven't heard of any major motor melt-downs or anything. I do know that your maintenance will make a big difference. Take care of it, change the fluids, don't rev the snot out of it when the engine is stone cold, give it a chance and it'll last a whole lot longer than if you neglect it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
It'll last forever if you take care of it.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
its all in how you take care of it. do the regular mant. and dont beat the crap out of it and it should last forever. got a buddie with an 03 gsx600 and he has 30,000 miles on it and looking at replacing the motor on it cause he doesnt mant. like he should. went riding with him one day and he was pulling whellies when he could to show off. i was behind him and his chain was making an awfull rattle sound and when i looked at the chain it was all rusted and loose as hell. mant. is the key on anything that you want to last.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Lol, if the valve interval is 26,600 miles, don't you think the engine will last a shit-load longer? Think about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm at 25,100 on my Triumph '98 Daytona T595. I've had no problems with it and I know a guy who has about 70K on his and it still runs like the day he bought it. As long as you use the right oil, change all the fluids, no hooligan riding, and you're golden! So many dealers have told me that it won't make it to 50k. Give me a break. I've seen sport bikes make it to 100k. Like they said, dealers will tell you anything to sell you their bikes.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
ANY modern Jap bike should easily last 50k HARD miles (ie: beating on it EVERYWHERE you go). Don't ride it at redline everytime your on it, and it'll last longer than you care to own it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought he was full of crap to. Your right when it comes to the valve change intervals. Why would they tell you to adjust the valves after 25k if it would only last a little bit more than that.
I take great pride in my vehicles and change the fluids after 3k miles no matter what. My Buik has about 190k miles and still going strong so I don’t see why my motor cycle shouldn’t get at least 75,000 if I religiously change the oil. I also ride pretty conservatively and don’t do any burnouts/wheelies/stopies, nor do I plan to. Thanks for the help guys. It be interesting to see who has the most miles without any problems.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
TRaGiK said:
ANY modern Jap bike should easily last 50k HARD miles (ie: beating on it EVERYWHERE you go). Don't ride it at redline everytime your on it, and it'll last longer than you care to own it.
Another good thing about the FZ6 is that it has a rev limiter. Unless you take it off, you won't be able to ride it at red line. It works great as a blipper.:)

·
On 2 wheels...
209 Posts
segue00 said:
Another good thing about the FZ6 is that it has a rev limiter. Unless you take it off, you won't be able to ride it at red line. It works great as a blipper.:)
Where does the rev limiter kick in? 14k?

·
Registered
732 Posts
From what I've read, the FZ6 shares engine internals with the R6. That means that it's cylinders are directly coated with a ceramic composite that reduces friction and wear, and also improves heat transfer for better cylinder cooling. While it may be possible to burn your valves with extended high rev's (still highly unlikely), it is doubtful that you'll wear out the pistons/rings on this bike before 100k. Use a full synthetic oil, and the sky's the limit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Repeat after me, it's a YAMAHA

I've been riding Yammies since I was 8. They've never left me walking, never. My Interceptor did, two of my Harley's drove me to the brink of suicide. I'm anal about service, oil, tire pressure, chain tension, chain lubing, and fluid levels. I absolutely ride at the limits unless I have a girl on the back. I see triple digits nearly every ride out and she just keeps begging for more. It's a I-4 they beg to be rev'd, built for it, love it, don't like it if you don't. So don't think by riding around at 5k rpm you'll get all these extra miles out of her. I'm over 24,000 miles and she'll be on one wheel frequently until I trade her. If you don't like rpm's get a V-twin.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm at 27020K now and my biggest problem is work interfering with my riding time :lao
I do maint at or before recommended and don't live at the red line, so I'm guessing this bike is gonna last a long time. I've been usin dyno oil and change at 2500 and am switchin to syth blend soon.
Granted I'm a little over the valve clearance check milage so I need to do that. But I figure since I don't red line the bike but maybe a few times and shift near 10-11k rpm for the most part on the highway I should be fine till I get to it.
It's the same engine as the R6 which is a proven engine. That moron was just tryin to be funny, badly I might add.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
MTNBYKR said:
Where does the rev limiter kick in? 14k?
Not really sure where it kicks in ... but when it does you'll feel it :eek:nfloor
Feels like the entire bike bumps a bit, kinda startles you if your not expecting it or it's the first time it happens.
First time it happened to me I was pullin outta a gas station with a friend onto a highway. He was ridin a 996cc (i think) ducati monster and I tried to keep up with him. Did fairly well but hit the limiter in first before shifting .... felt kinda cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts