Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get a new Pirelli Sport Demon rear tire put on tommorrow morning. This will be my third rear tire in about 11.K Miles. Should I be getting better mileage from these tires? They are very soft and sticky and I am constantly leaning on my way back and forth to work. I mostly use the bike for my 4 day commute of 8 miles. And then lots of riding around town during the weekend. These tires are perfect for the EX500 since there are very few tires that fit our rims. Bias Ply instead of Radial though.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wouldn't use that soft of tire on that bike used for those things. Unless you are doing really fast trackdays, you won't outride a sport touring tire. Even for spirited riding on the street (which, from what you say, you don't do much of), you don't need anymore than a sport touring tire.

I don't know how many miles that tire should get on a 500, but that sounds about right. Just make sure you keep the tire pressure at the right level as too low of tire pressure can cause the rear to go fast and the front to cup.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
I usually get anywhere between 1500 and 2000 miles per tire

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only problem is that I do get out to the roads every once in a while and this bike needs all the help it can get. The suspension is pretty mushy as it is. I touched my knee down very smoothly the other day for the first time ever and I don't want to be messing around with hard slick tires when I'm out in the country following my buddies 954.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i run a bto10s on my bike and have about 3k on it and its not even close to the end of its life. lots of tread left and its a nice tire. i run it pretty hard and i dont feel anything but grip.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I run sportec M-1's and get about 2500-3000 miles out of them, if you are using you bike mainly for commuting you might want to look at some harder compound tires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well... Since you have to run bias-ply tires on the EX instead of radials, your choice of rubber is pretty limited. That seems like pretty reasonable mileage for current sportbike rubber, but your EX shouldn't eat tires quite that quickly...

What pressures are you running??? Try keeping your tires in the low 30's, if you're not there already.

Scott :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
you should be getting more milegae from your rear tire on that size of a bike. Typically the torque of the b***** bikes eats up the rear tire. My zx12 and hayabusa can get 5000+ miles on a rear tire and I ride moderately. You should get at least that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mantis said:
I usually get anywhere between 1500 and 2000 miles per tire
Yeah, I can't afford a new tire every month...

I'm happy with my Avon ST 45/46's that are mounted on the XX. My bike is heavy, has a soft suspension, and a lot of power... not a good combination for tire life. Yet I find no lack of grip when railing through curves.

If you have chicken strips on the front or rear and the burnished area from getting on the throttle is closer to the middle of the tire than the edge you really don't need super sticky performance tires... sporty touring tires will still give you more than enough grip and last three times as long.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I now have a new rear tire. I have already gotten the strips down to about 1/2 inch just on the ride home. Gotta love new tires.
So I am going to look at some Sport Touring tires, maybe a dual compound.
The main issue is that I cannot find matching sets of front and rear, everybody has the 110 70/17 on the front but nobody stocks the 140 70/ 17 rear. Two questions.
I have already gone up to a 140 rear from the OEM 130, can I go up to a 150 if I have the room in the swingarm?
Is there a major difference between a 140 70/17 and a 140 80/17?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
see what the minimum rim width is for that size tire. (may vary by mftr). I will not help handling but if fitment is your primary issue and it safely fits-go for it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have an EX500. When I bought the bike, it had a relatively new Bridgestone BT-45 rear. Now, almost 3000 miles later, it has plenty of tread. I would guess that it has another good 3000 miles left.

Also, I do the same sort of riding… commuting everyday to school and spirited street rides during the weekend.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i got 18k out of the bt-020 that came on my bike. but i ride like a pu$$y.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well, I get 4 track days out of my tires, if I push it maybe 5. $450 for a set of tires evey 5 track days isn't too bad, that's about once every 3 months for me, I wanna say it's about 500 miles depending on the track. But would I trade traction for longevity? HELL NO!

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
RSRCR said:
i run a bto10s on my bike and have about 3k on it and its not even close to the end of its life. lots of tread left and its a nice tire. i run it pretty hard and i dont feel anything but grip.
yeah, i had bout the same tread wear on my 207rr's, 3000 miles and they had 80-85% left

1 - 18 of 18 Posts