Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is considered high milage on a bike? Looking for a starter bike and found a few with ~25-40k miles on it, didn't say rebuilt or new engine or anything. I guess it depends on how well it was maintained also. But what is avg for a normal bike?

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've put over 20k on four different bikes and they all were in good condition when I sold them. As long as the regular maintence is done a bike should be able to go for 60-80k miles or more. I have two friends w/over 50+k miles on their bikes and they are fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also depends on which area of the country you are buying the bike.... what make, model and year the bike is.... a 2002 R1 w/ 10,000 miles on it might be in better shape than a 2004 R1 w/ 30,000 miles on it... places where people ride year-round vs. places that are only summer toys makes a difference too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J0HNK said:
Also depends on which area of the country you are buying the bike.... what make, model and year the bike is.... a 2002 R1 w/ 10,000 miles on it might be in better shape than a 2004 R1 w/ 30,000 miles on it... places where people ride year-round vs. places that are only summer toys makes a difference too.
What is the highest milage bike you would ever consider buying?

·
Registered
304 Posts
My 1988 Kaw Ninja ZX750 is just hitting 50,000 mile on the oringal engine. An she still hit 145 mph without a problem.

Just depends on how the previous and the new owner take care of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i got 22k on my Ninja 250. I have a theory that's never been tested but seems to me to be pretty reasonable: The more powerful the bike, the more stress on parts, the faster the death (for the bike fo course)...i suppose thats why mine's lasting...so far

·
Registered
813 Posts
kinda like asking about high milage cars.. in general people use 100,000 has a bench mark on cars.. it's not to say a car can't go beyond that.. but there might be more maintenace issues..

On a bike it's 1/2 that.. I'd say 40,000 - 50,000 is the bench mark BUT you shouldn't let milage decide if you're going to get a bike or not.. just like a car, condition of the bike is far more important than milage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts