Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I am a new user to this forum and this is my first thread after creeping around and reading through a few threads, mostly the ones about what bikes to start with. I am taking the MSF course in a couple weeks to start of my bike experience.

Let me start by saying thank you, this forum pretty much made up my mind for me, and I 100% am going to start on a smaller CC bike (either the ninja 250r or the new 300) after me thinking to myself that a 600 is small enough for a guy "my size" (6'3" 260lbs...trying to bring that down :p). I am in no rush to move up and want to make progress on my riding skills properly.

Anyways here is my real question - I know this bike that I am going to buy is only my first bike and won't be my last, but how many miles (or hours) did you all put on your first bike before ditching it and trading up for a b***** one? My end goal here is to become a highly skilled rider, and move up the chain of CC's, and i just want to get a general idea of how long it will take to make the jump safely and comfortably from a 250 to something like a zx6 or higher.

The only reason I say maybe the new 300 as my first bike instead of something used is because I have buddies who I know will want to get into riding right after me and i figure if I can learn and move up bike sizes fast enough (not racing to move up sizes, taking my time) I can keep it in the family with them and allow them to learn without having to take this step like me. I will have a fairly big amount of time put aside for riding this summer and i plan to take full advantage of it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i have put just under 6,000 miles on my first bike, will probably keep it for one more season then move to something different.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I will say, I started on a 600, and still ride a 600. Good job on you for actually heeding the advice of these bastards around here :p

I put about 12,000 on my first bike before moving onto my current street bike.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
The way you talk about moving up in size brings up the fact that I think it's utterly ridiculous how people put a completely skewed value on a bike's CC's, thinking b***** MUST be better.

I started on a 600... then went DOWN to a 500... then up to a 1000 (still have)... then back down to a 650 (still have)... then a 400 (still have) and the last few weeks have had a ton of fun blasting around on my girlfriend's 250.

I like them all and can say without any doubt whatsoever that b***** IS ABSOLUTELY NOT necessarily better.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
The way you talk about moving up in size brings up the fact that I think it's utterly ridiculous how people put a completely skewed value on a bike's CC's, thinking b***** MUST be better.

I started on a 600... then went DOWN to a 500... then up to a 1000 (still have)... then back down to a 650 (still have)... then a 400 (still have) and the last few weeks have had a ton of fun blasting around on my girlfriend's 250.

I like them all and can say without any doubt whatsoever that b***** IS ABSOLUTELY NOT necessarily better.
+1 to this! SOme of my favorite rides have been on a 250 :)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
To answer your question, 47K+ on an sv650.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I put a little over 8,000 mile on my EX500 before getting my '99 ZX6r (which I still have since new) and putting over 180,000 on it. Every bike can be fun for a long time, don't always plan on replacing it.......you may miss out :)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I put 1k on my 82 Honda CB50k before buying my 08 ZX-14 Then put 60k on that before buying my S1000RR.

·
Registered
848 Posts
8k in 2 years on my Nighthawk CB750. then moved up to vfr800.... 20k miles in 16 months

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

While I did say I like the size and do want to move up, quite frankly I`ve never even ridden a bike, so who knows maybe ill say f*ckit and quit. But I really dont see myself like that. And I think I will be keeping my first bike (either 250 or 300) to let buddies ride who are new and see if they like it without having to put the amount of money into I am going to!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You must ride for 18,924.1 miles or more on a 250/300/500cc bike in no less than 745 days before being permitted to ride a 600RR. Those are the rules.
har-har :D I get it haha, just looking for a general idea on how long im gonna be looking at. How long it is going to take me doesnt worry me, knowing what im getting myself into is always better though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts