Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising along US 25 yesterday and saw a state trooper in a weird new car. Looked like a focus. He was heading towards me then stopped and pulled into a business. I travel down the road another mile and half and here the guy comes with his blue lights on whizzing over the middle double yellow line forcing us all to get over.

I drive up the road just a little more to the 1st traffic light in town and then I see a black bike, maybe an r1 or GSXR. Loud as crap. He lane splits and goes through the light roaring like a tidal wave of machine and fury. He was going maybe 70 through that red light. I assumed that state tropper was chasing him and right behind the bike coming through the intersection was two city police and another state trooper blasting past through.

Drive up the road just another few hundred feet and then I see an army of red and blue lights. I just go ahead and pull all the way over. County, City, State cops follow pursuit. Start to wonder about how much money this costs to send so many cops after one bike. I keep driving home and yes, another cop, city guy goes whizzing past us. I think it was 8 cops all together after this guy on a motorcycle, and since he was leaving town there were so many options he had for side roads and back roads.

I looked up the jail inmate list and couldn't find "him" I think he got away.

If you had to run, would you rather be out in the country or in a deep congested city? I think I'd rather be in the city and make use of the small size of the bike. You could lane spilt your way to getting a LOT of distance on them and then find a place to shut it off.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Once upon a time the cops found some folks in a stolen car outside my apartment building. There were a minimum of two police cars with a minimum two police officers out there for 14 hours. Cops do things in packs, sort of like wolves and orcas.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Maybe they had a line on that elusive "Kirby" that escaped "To Catch a Predator".

Reactions: Dem0nDuck and jk750

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It is a combination of all the nearby officers wanting to get in on the action/help out when the initial call goes out.

Once things settle down, we continue to arrive because we are bored/curious and want to see what is going on and get the story straight from the source...... that is until our Sgts and LTs arrive on the scene and kick all the extra officers out of the area.....and continue to mill about and BS themselves.

So how many cops does it take? Usually about 2-3, and a half dozen supervisors.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I wonder why jk750 chose his career path

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I was cruising along US 25 yesterday and saw a state trooper in a weird new car. Looked like a focus. He was heading towards me then stopped and pulled into a business. I travel down the road another mile and half and here the guy comes with his blue lights on whizzing over the middle double yellow line forcing us all to get over.

I drive up the road just a little more to the 1st traffic light in town and then I see a black bike, maybe an r1 or GSXR. Loud as crap. He lane splits and goes through the light roaring like a tidal wave of machine and fury. He was going maybe 70 through that red light. I assumed that state tropper was chasing him and right behind the bike coming through the intersection was two city police and another state trooper blasting past through.

Drive up the road just another few hundred feet and then I see an army of red and blue lights. I just go ahead and pull all the way over. County, City, State cops follow pursuit. Start to wonder about how much money this costs to send so many cops after one bike. I keep driving home and yes, another cop, city guy goes whizzing past us. I think it was 8 cops all together after this guy on a motorcycle, and since he was leaving town there were so many options he had for side roads and back roads.

I looked up the jail inmate list and couldn't find "him" I think he got away.

If you had to run, would you rather be out in the country or in a deep congested city? I think I'd rather be in the city and make use of the small size of the bike. You could lane spilt your way to getting a LOT of distance on them and then find a place to shut it off.
since when do they get paid per call they are on?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
till ya know exactly WHY they were after him, you cannot really have a good idea on whether or not the level of force was appropriate.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
well at least they were doing what they get paid for. I'd rather them be doing that than sitting in a parking lot chatting it up. I see plenty of them doing that.
You'd seriously rather them hand you or a fellow biker a ticket/jailtime for speeding? And waste all that gas as if they have a better chance of catching him than the 2 already on his ass?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
You'd seriously rather them hand you or a fellow biker a ticket/jailtime for speeding? And waste all that gas as if they have a better chance of catching him than the 2 already on his ass?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
How do you know it was all for speeding? I wouldnt want anyone cage or bike to get a ticket/jailtime for speeding unless there was more to it. And by what the OP said he was going very fast and splitting cars which would in turn endanger other people on the road not expecting a bike to suddenly be right next to them passing.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The real danger of a bike lane splitting through traffic stopped at a light is not to the vehicles he is next to. It is to the pedestrians crossing his path at the intersection that he can't see, and they can't see him coming.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
It costs the same as if they didn't chase him at all. They're on duty and getting paid either way.

Most cops I've seen on one pulled over car has been 5. I believe the reason was there was the initial guy who pulled him over, a back up car, the supervisor and then the K9 unit. Not sure if the 5th was just an extra patrol guy or not but the car was stopped and being searched for drugs(found out from a friend who works as a county sheriff).

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've heard of cops chasing bikes around here for up to 60 miles...just for speeding and not catching them. Fill'er up with 93 please. I am not so much worried about a 600lbs GSXR slamming into me as much as I am a 4,000lb crown vic.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Gas isnt cheap. So 8 cars after a bike is a little excessive. Im surprised there wasnt a chopper
around here if the cop is on duty the car is running. They never shut them off, even when they walk into a store or go for lunch. They sit there idling in the parking lot the whole time. What's more wasteful, using gas to chase someone breaking a law, or wasting it sitting in a parking lot while the cop eats donuts?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts