Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a survey, for myself (and everybody else), to kinda judge really how dangerous riding is. i want to know

how long have you been riding for?

have you ever crashed badly? if so what were your injuries? was it your fault? or bad luck? or another drivers fault? what happened?

have you ever been thrown/had to go into the opposite lane but lucked out because there was no cars coming from the other direction?

if you havent fallen bad/put in a bad situation and lucked out, i still want to hear from you! how long have you been riding for?

i would like to hear from everybody, thanks!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've been riding for 22 years. I raced motocross from the time I was 4 until I was 22. Now at 26, I simply ride street. I have been down, but not on the street. I paid a lot of dues on the race track to learn excellent throttle/brake control. I also don't feel like I need to impress anyone when I ride street, so I ride conservatively. I've already proven all that I need to prove to anyone on the race track. I've been hurt quite a bit, but again it was while racing. I have been pushed into the other lane or lawns by other cars and gotten lucky. I can't say that it was anything else other than luck that kept me on two wheels.
Shane

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've been riding 25 years. I've had two crashes, both were on the race track. One was the result of an unavoidable mechanical failure. The other time was my fault.

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
I've been riding for almost a year, August 7th was the first day of my motorcycle safety class and the first time I had ever sat on a motorcycle. I have never crashed or dropped my bike. I've been pushed into an opposing lane (my own fault, I'll admit it) on a turn but luckily no cars were coming. I have had several close calls, most involving deer or asian women drivers. My closest call was when I was straigthening up the bike coming out of a turn when my left foot peg all of a sudden just came out. My left foot hit the street and I almost fell off the bike with my left leg also almost going under my rear tire. Somehow I managed to get myself back on my bike and I pulled over, found the peg and that was that. Riding street is dangerous for sure and you'll need luck but in my opinion it is totally worth it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
poulsen said:
dang eye spy, you like your r1's don't you?
Yes, and a lot of other ones too! :beer

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
jon341427 said:
25 y.o. 7 Years Street 15 ORV

have you ever crashed badly? if so what were your injuries? was it your fault? or bad luck? or another drivers fault? what happened?
No badly but I was rearended by a Big Truck when I was 18 and he didnt even stop.

have you ever been thrown/had to go into the opposite lane but lucked out because there was no cars coming from the other direction?
once or twice only, getting ready to pass and they slammed on the brakes

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I've been riding for 31 years and have been down only once on the street.Had I not had on full gear it would of been a really bad wreck for me.What happened was a flock of spruce hens flew into me and one lodged between the front wheel and fork long enough for the bike to endo.It laned on top of me and we slid about 70' into a blind lefthand turn.

As far as going into the other lane because someone want's to share with me,it happens all the time,Three times last week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm 20, been riding on the street for 3.5 years. Other wise, been on 50cc-250cc dirtbikes my whole life.
I crashed my 929 last fall, hit some sand in a corner. just minor road rash. This year , june 7th, I crashed my 600rr rolling a stoppie and looped it at 40mph. First time I have ever broken anything (collar bone, fractured scapula, and road rash). So, I will not be riding this fall. Got it on tape though! Both times I wasn't wearing gear (except for helmet) because it was too hot. think i'd learn by now. And both times I was pushing my riding limits hard. But that is something I will always do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In California in 1965 you were allowed to operate a motorcycle with a learner's permit at the age of 15 1/2. So of course I went out and bought a well used 250 Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler with a single seat, a Ducati tank and a Royal Enfield tailight. My Dad popped for a full face Bell helmet for me...the pinnicle of protection back then.

Good thing.

I had five speeding tickets and a half dozen offs before I turned 16 and got a real license. Never got injured! Somehow you just bounce off shit when your young.

But my favorite was making a left turn in the burbs one afternoon. A senior citizen in a Rambler wagon just plain didn't see me. He was at the stop sign on my left and pulls out to turn left himself and bloody hell runs smack gob square dead center into me.

Here's the cool part. My bike had solid pegs (one of the last), so instead of crushing my Keds encased foot, the impact had the effect of Rossi cutting under Sete in Catalunya. I went instantly from banked over to straight up and across a front lawn to stop just at the base of the front steps into the house on the corner.

I turned and watched as the geezer continued on his merry way. I'd of been pissed but the save was so incredible I just laughed.

Knock on wood (every morning), no major injuries on bikes. This includes riding around Asia sans helmet in flip flops way too often (I know, flame away).

Don't ask about the other sports. I've paid dearly.

·
Registered
791 Posts
<== damn am I on my 3rd or 4th month. hmmmmm

I have close calls damn near every day im riding my Bike or Car. None of which are my fault. Simply because i scan the area i havnt been run down, yet.

I've had 2 close calls. Once an old lady, that actually has almost hit in 3 times in the same spot, she pulls out in front of me while i was in a curve. I jumped unto the grass/gravel and went around. Felt good to NOT crash.

2nd close call - mind just went blank, dont rmemeber what happened or where at. Wouldnt help that im lookn at these hoes on soul train, AFD.

I low sided on a right hand turn from target fixation.
BTW, no MSF class yet for me. Taught myself with books and school lot training.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Riding for 3 years street, 12 years on dirtbikes.

All I have to say is watch out for stupid riders. A lot of times it might not be your own fault you crash, get maimed, or die.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 21, I've been riding off and on since I was 13. I ride a ZX9R, I've never laid down a bike so far thankfully, but my experience always happens to be a near death experience. My best advice which is common sense but has saved me every time, is not only being cautious of what your doing but try to be prepared for what everyone else might just do. I've been pushed within an inch of a guard rail at 80 mph on a bridge because of someone not looking when they switched lanes. I’ve almost been side swipe in the front and rear of my bike by two cars at the same time. Almost rear ended by a person not realizing there was a red light. My worst call recently was when I had my friend’s mom on the back. We were coming up a residential hill and an oncoming driver in a truck decided to turn right in front of me into his drive way. Some how my natural instinct kicked in and I was able swerve right, in front of his truck and I slide all the way up over his side walk and through his front yard dogging a fire hydrant and a bolder and some how came to a stop standing up. If I would have went left I would have collided face first into the bed of his truck. His apology was, “I’m sorry I just didn’t see you or realize what was happening.” That’s the moral of the story, always look out and be prepared for other people!

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
I've been riding for about 3 years now, this year, I've strictly ridden the track w/1 or 2 exceptions. I've crashed on the street and the track...on the street, it was totally my fault. crashing on the track doesn't count, but I lowsided trying to get a good drive out of corner. When I crashed on the street, I broke my collar bone. Common sense has kept me alive more times than I can count.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
25 years

I have never crashed.

Yes

That doesn't mean I haven't had close calls -there have been quite a few -but I don't believe in blind luck either.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Been riding on and off for about 1 yr 2 months

About 13,000 miles.

No crashes so far and no close calls. I usually pray before every ride.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Riding street for almost 10 years now and countless miles. Been down twice. 1st was my fault, after only riding for a short while I caught some fresh cut grass (on my own driveway!) and lightly put it down...oops. 2nd was a force of mother nature when I hit a deer (8pt buck) at about 60mph. Killed the deer, totalled the bike and gave me a nights stay in ER receiving 20+ stitches in my chin. As for having people want my spot on the road more than me, not uncommon but it has a lot to do with were you place yourself too so they know you're there. Of course, this doesn't always apply to blue hairs, soccer moms, erratic drivers, anyone in a cage... LOL

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
jon341427 said:
Street bikes about 16 years. As a child I rode a Honda trail bike everywhere for about 4 or 5 years, if you want to count that.

jon341427 said:
One mild crash on in traffic, which was my fault for not replacing my front tire sooner and not paying attention to the condition of the road when the front end slid out around a corner. And I dropped it at a near stand-still twice, due to lack of experience. All in the first year I was riding. (I think I posted this same story on here somewhere already).

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
I'm 35 and been rideing off and on for 10years but only 5 years is solid time. I learn something new everytime i ride. I have had 3 crashes. 1st mechanical (tire went flat in 89'), 2nd in 03' someone turned left and stoped in front of me, 3rd in 04' i went in a curve too hot and a car cut into my lane at the last moment i pointed it at the ditch and stood it up in there. If I kept my head in the game i think I could have cleared the car but i didnt risk it.
I have moved in the other lane but not blindly, if i couldnt see I just lean more.
I have had several close calls, someone bump at red lights, or a few target fixtation when tired and i suprize my self. one of the worse scare i had was a slide thru cinders, tire catch and whellied and slamed down for a tank slapper. but i never lost it, thank god. because the bike was only 2 weeks old.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts