Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im 17 and have just purchased my first sporbike, a 2005 ninja 500r. now i've been riding off road since the age of 8 and am finding the torque and hp of the 500 pretty underwhelming. im just wondering how long i should keep this bike before i move up to a six hundred. any opinions and input helpful - thanks

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Its hard to put miles or months to it because riding styles and skill growth varies. Since you have plenty of dirt experience I say go for it. Just remember that crashing at higher speeds hurts more.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
It also depends on the 600. A fz6 is better than a 500 twin but not exactly a monster. Any supersport 600 is going to be a monster but at higher rpms so it shouldnt surprise you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I started on a Ninja 250 when I was 15 and when I turned 16 moved up to the 01' GSXR 600 I have now...I'm 17 right now and started racing my 600 last year at Mid-Ohio and Jennings GP and I love it.... I say if you feel like the 500 isn't enough power move up whenever you feel comfortable with everything about riding a motorcycle on the street....Be careful and watch for stupid drivers!

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I could outride most people I know on a ninja 500... they aren't exactly slow.
Good point and I speak from experience having been spanked by 500s while I had "beasts" but with that much dirt experience he should know whats up. Being fast in thw canyons or the track isnt the same as habing that GO on streets.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
9000.1 miles. You don't do it and every more powerful bike you touch will kill you instantly.

...and your family.

...and your dog, Koko.

...and your goldfish, Fred.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At your age I think your money will be better spent doing track days and learning riding techniques. Insurance is gonna kill you at 17 on a 600. Nobody really needs anything more that a 4-500 on the street, we all just WANT more. I'd say save your money until you can buy a 600 with cash and then start thinking about it.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Can't really put a number on it. Even when you think you are ready you might not be. A lot of crashes happen in the 2nd year because guys start feeling like they are great riders and end up riding beyond their limit and crashing.

If the 500 is boring you then try riding on some tight twisty roads where straight line speed doesn't matter. You'll have more fun and you'll also get better.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
If it's highway/commuting miles, 30,000. If it's canyon carving/backroad miles 10,000.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It's been over six years and I still have my first bike. She won't win many drag races, but she's still plenty of fun to toss around. I can still get plenty of grins per mile, even on my dingy, dirty, beat-to-shit old thing. And hell, that's about all I care about.

If you're bored with the power, try finding some roads with actual turns. I find that far more fulfilling than twisting the right grip in a straight line. If you're just an acceleration junkie, chances are any bike you get will become boring in due time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's been over six years and I still have my first bike. She won't win many drag races, but she's still plenty of fun to toss around. I can still get plenty of grins per mile, even on my dingy, dirty, beat-to-shit old thing. And hell, that's about all I care about.

If you're bored with the power, try finding some roads with actual turns. I find that far more fulfilling than twisting the right grip in a straight line. If you're just an acceleration junkie, chances are any bike you get will become boring in due time.
My first bike was a 1992 Seca II. Looking back that was one I should still have in my garage. Absolutely fantastic bike.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts