Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure you have all seen it before over the years, my ol 02 R6 with all the goodies. Here is the thing: I have owned this bike since 04 with 1,800 miles (now has almost 17K, as I only ride in Summer & have other bikes). I have been through so many good times, I am never going to sell it, ever! I have put so much $$ & labor into this bike, to keep it perfect. This thing runs excellent and still tears it up. I am going to replace it as my regular sport bike next Spring though, but the sentimental value of this bike is worth more to me then any $$ I could get. it will just become a garage piece that I take out once in a great while to keep it fresh. I want to do this before it hits 20k miles so it will stay forever young, lol.

Anyone else get so attached to an old bike that they will never sell, even when you upgrade?

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've only had one bike, my 2006 Ninja 250. I'm about halfway through my second full season with it, and I'm not really in a hurry to get rid of it. It goes everything I need it to do (highway commuting, weekend bends, multi-day trips). I don't really want to sell it but I don't have much space to keep motorcycles given I'm in a condo so it's really what I can fit in my parking space along with my car and the space in front of it. If I knew I'd always have space for it, I'd probably keep it forever. But, I want to move on to other bikes, so I'll have to get rid of it at some point.

I know how you feel with your R6 though, as I've kept my first car that I got when I was 16, even though I have my second car now (that I bought a couple months ago). It has almost 170k on it now and I'd like to put a trailer hitch on it for towing my motorcycle(s).

·
Registered
495 Posts
If the bike is still in good order, and serves my needs, I will keep it.

The insurance eventually drops to liability-only.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i always intend to keep a bike for a long time, but things always happen that i get rid of them... finances, job, wife (cause she doesn't like the ride). my current ride, my wife tol me i had to keep it til at least the warranty runs out (5 yrs), but since i retired, took a $10k pay cut, and have more bills now (since i have to pay for dental, health, vision plans), the 750 is up for sale. well, we both have interviews on Monday. if either or both of us gets hired, then i'll be able to afford to keep the bike longer. We both agree tho, we want to ride together and the 750 will not work for her, so it'll be sold or traded some time in the next yr or 2. :( BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, we may be getting a bike we used to own and loved so we can ride once again. THAT one we'll probably keep for a long time. either a VFR800 or Busa. I'm leaning more towards the VFR and she is leaning more towards the Busa. oh darn... decisions....

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I don't have a good track record for keeping bikes a long time.

Got my first bike ('09 KLX 250) in May of 08. Ditched it and got an '05 Kat 750 in Jun/July. Rode the Kat for a year and sold it to buy my wife a Ninja 250, and took over the 08 ZZR600 that she got the previous year as a starter (Hey I never said we were real smart ;)). I rode the ZZR until last summer when I sold it and bumped up to my current bike, the Z1000. I've no intentions of selling the Z, but who knows. The wife's all but given up riding, so the Ninjette may be on the selling block before long.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I got the 848 almost 2 yrs ago with 4k miles, now sitting at 19k and change (would be more, but this past winter refused to die). Wrecked it twice (once on street, once on track). It's taken me from the Beg thru Int and into Adv at track days. I also started racing it this season in CRA.

It has gone thru a few different looks and a few mods. I've torn it down to the frame and reassembled it myself. All mods (except for the ECU reflash) done by me. I'd never even thought about doing this much hands-on to my previous bikes, as I honestly didn't think I had the skill to do it.

The beginning & bone stock (except for a carbon front fender and a tank protector)-late Aug '11:

'12 Winter makeover:

Back to classy in late '12:

Street dress '13:

Track dress in its natural habitat:

Honestly, it is such a good overall package that gives me what I'm looking for in a bike at this point in my riding tenure that even when I eventually do move on to an RSV4, the 848 will stay with me in track/race-only form. But for now, I'm enjoying everything 2wheels on the same bike. :)

-Christian

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
Anyone else get so attached to an old bike that they will never sell, even when you upgrade?
nope. a bike is a bike. when i get to the point where i feel that i need a newer model, the old one hits the bricks. no machine is sacred to me anymore...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
848 Posts
I kept my 98 ninja ZX6E new off the show room until 3 years ago when I got the 848.

Bone stock and in perfect running order, just like the 848. Had at least 12 years of fun on her.

·
Supersquid
1,127 Posts
I keep my bikes until I wreck them beyond repair. as far as plans go right now my zx10 will be buried with me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got into bikes late in life, but I'm very sentimental about the first car I bought. I've done a bunch of mods, and learned to do my own alignment with that car. It is unique enough and classy enough to keep forever, so I will.

The cars I bought later, though very nice, don't have the same allure -- they are just property to me. Like wise the bikes, though they are cherished property, they are still not at the same level as that car.

If I had started with bikes earlier, I could just as easily have developed that same affinity for a bike instead. So I see where you're coming from with this. I'm betting if you ever lose that first "love of your life" bike, you won't feel the same way about a bike again.

- John

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I kept my first street bike, a Ninja 250, for about a year and a half. My second and current bike I've had for going on two years.

I was looking for an inline-4 600, but found a good deal on a R-titled SV650, so I bought it. I didn't love the bike at first, and really only planned on keeping it long enough to find the 600 that I really wanted. I bought it January of last year with just under 2,000 miles. About a year and half later, it's now got 40,000 and change on the odometer. This bike has taken me from the farthest point east in North America to the Pacific Ocean in California, it's my daily commuter during the week, and my dirt bike when I'm feeling stupid.

Above the tree line at over 12,000 feet (and running like shit):

Stupid winter riding adventures:

July Nevada desert heat:

In the Pacific Ocean:

At the Atlantic Ocean:

I've wrecked this bike once, dropped it at least a dozen times taking it offroad, and it takes it all in stride. Even though I wasn't crazy about this bike when I first bought it, I absolutely love it now. I plan to keep this bike until I just can't keep it running any longer. She's ugly, has cracked plastics, is always dirty... But she's got some character and a great personality... Kinda like my latest ex (minus that last point).

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kept my 98 ninja ZX6E new off the show room until 3 years ago when I got the 848.

Bone stock and in perfect running order, just like the 848. Had at least 12 years of fun on her.
Hey, I just noticed your in Auburn, I'm from Grass Valley (what 15 miles North.)
I used to ride the canyons at Foresthill all the time back in the day on my gsxr 750. I sure miss that area, except it is hot as hell there.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My SV is nearing 40k miles, and I am keeping it until it stops running. I turn my own wrenches on it, so I know it. I know how it should feel and how it shouldn't feel. We have a familiarity. If I do end up getting the 600 I've been wanting, the SV will get race plastics.

·
5,455 Posts
i have a pretty good turn over rate....

2006 Ninja 250: 1.5 years, 12k miles
2005 SV650S: almost a year, 7k miles
2008 GSXR 600: 2.5 years, 17k miles
2009 Tuono: 1 year, 6k miles
2005 R6: 6 months, 5k miles
2008 848: 3? months, 5k? miles
2008 600RR: 1 year, 5k miles

i got rid of the 250 because i wanted more power. Then ditched the SV for better suspension. Sold the GSXR to get the aprilia for something more comfy. went back to a 600 since the Tuono was a little tall and hated city riding. the R6 was just boring and i got a killer deal on the 848 while trying to find a Monster 796. it started acting up (engine cutting power while accelerating) so i traded it for my current 600RR.

the 600RR is a great bike and i know i'll regret it if i ever get rid of it.

i also had a 2007 SV650S that i never rode since i flipped it for an easy profit. hopefully the FZR 600 will be gone before the season is over.

problem is that there are too many low mileage bikes around here and everyone thinks they're junk after 10k miles, so if you keep something for a few years, you pretty much have to give it away.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Where's Philb when a thread needs him?

Not sure about the stop riding it @ 20k before it gets too old thing but I do have a bike I'm highly unlikely to sell, having said that I do tend to keep vehicles and run them, on the flip side I see no point in having something and not running it.

The bike I brought 14 years ago is a 1994 Moto Guzzi 1100 sport admittedly in this day and age the use of the word sport to describe the model is a little optimistic. It had 16 000 kms when I brought it and it had never been ridden in the rain. It now has 135 000kms and has been ridden in the rain quiet a bit toured on, done a few track days. Commuted on tweaked tuned and modified to suit me and what I like to do with it. As you do I have poured a fair bit of money through it the total spent on tyres alone no doubt excedes the value of the bike several times over.

There are some things I would like it to do better and i kinda brought an aprilia RSVR to take the pressure off the Guzzi the compression is down a bit, not that a top end rebuild is particularly expensive. Guzzi never really replaced the model after the 1100i ceased production its got the to point people now tell me they don't make them like that anymore, there is probably a good reason for this too. I guess the biggest problem it is quiet unusual bike it never was in a market place where three or four different companies all via-ing for their share so there is a couple of different bikes to choose from.

The other problem is my riding style has probably changed to suit the bike the suspension is tuned to me the brakes work the way I want them too so when I get onto another newer bike it won't be the same. On top of this I expect a newer bike to be better in every single way after all 19 years of bike development has passed the Guzzi wasn't exactly cutting edge when it was built, yet newer bike struggle to impress.

Sure they'll run better the gearbox will be slicker the engine smoother (although I'm not entirely convinced this is a good thing). Much faster in a straight line the big fat rubber however tends to slow direction changes and give a disconnect between the front and rear ends on tip in. Although I dunno what happened but why do we have such stupidly small fuel tanks on bikes these days, a vehicle is transport it should function as such not spend kms after kms will I actually make the next service station?

The old Guzzi will spit and snarl mainly because the racing carbs don't have choke so cold running is not its thing each gear change sounds like a brick been thrown into a skip bin from four stories up, thats when you get it right, and yes you can get it wrong. There is a whole technic to riding it even if you have ridden other bikes a take no prisoners I'll grind you into the ground without hesitation feel. Yet bombing through a big sweeper in top gear with the throttle nailed against the stop and the tacho up round the 8000rpm redline you wouldn't swap for another bike.

I think its a bit of a case there are things it doesn't do well it hates heavy traffic so when you do get it in the right environment it is a little more rewarding. The Aprilia is faster and easier to ride from a performance point of view, it is also for sale I find it about as much fun to operate as my washing machine.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hey, I just noticed your in Auburn, I'm from Grass Valley (what 15 miles North.)
I used to ride the canyons at Foresthill all the time back in the day on my gsxr 750. I sure miss that area, except it is hot as hell there.

hard to tell the forum members here just how great the roads are here.

Just about as good as it gets imho

I dont think the dragon has anything on us here.

·
Registered
848 Posts
got me thinking of my mileage...

1992 Nighthawk - 2 yrs and 8k miles
2002 VFR800 - 2 yrs? and 20k miles
2002 Busa - 4 yrs? and 28k miles
2004 GSXR750 - 1.5 yrs and 3k miles? owned while owning the Busa
2007 FJR1300 - 2 yrs and 8k miles
2011 GSXR750 - 1+yr and 2500 miles (up for sale.... unless my wife gets her new job. then we'll trade it for something more ST)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts