Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been riding for about 8 months and feel I have become pretty proficient on a bike and have an above average skill set but am still extremely weary of riding others bikes. I went to kawi demo days, and while I had a good time I was always nervous about wrecking a shiny new bike. When a friend wants me to ride their bike, I'll usually decline with the exception of a few select occasions. To the more experienced riders, did you ever have reservations about riding a bros bike and did it subside when you gained more confidence/experience?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have as many reservations if not more than driving someone's car. I have done it out of necessity but I find it hard to relax on others bikes. In a few days I will be starting my 24th year riding (10-22).

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I've never had a problem with it. When I started, my friends and I all had beat up scooters and garage sale bikes, and we swapped and traded and rode each other's bikes, and it just didn't matter. Later, I generally didn't let others ride my Heinkel, partly because they are rare in North America, and mostly because it is a hand-shift bike with a non-synchro gearbox at the ends of a 12-foot cable that runs from the transmission to the handlebars and back again -- it takes a fair bit of practice to shift it. By the time I started riding something that was worth anything, I had a few years experience, and felt fine with trying other stuff out. I love a good testride on something different; I've taken testrides on over 40 bikes in the last few years, just to see what they felt like, and what I might buy if something happened to my bike.

PhilB

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I don't really.

I like everything on my bikes just so. So unless someone sets their levers, shifters and pegs exactly like I do I have near uncontrollable urges to bust out tools and mess with things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been riding for 3 years now, never comfortable on someone else's bike. Just don't want something to happen out of my control.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I started riding this season. Have just over 5k + miles and do feel comfortable riding my friends bikes. But of course when i do i'll be alot more cautious to make sure i minimize chances of anything happen. (lane splitting, speeding, taking corners too hard on a bike i dont know etc) ... and Remember if they allow you to test ride there bike they can also ask the same. Other than that taking another bike around the block is nothing to be that paranoid about it. IMO

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I really don't like riding other people's bikes, I do make an occasional exception if they want it checked out mechanically. I just don't like the idea of being responsible for the property of someone else. Plus, if they were to crash on my bike, I'd be pissed, and I don't want to add that burden to a friendship.

Personally, I believe you need to ask yourself a couple of questions before riding someone else's bike: 1) Can I control and ride this bike in a safe manner, 2) can I deal with the knowledge that I messed up another's bike (if a crash were to happen), and 3) can I afford to make it right for the other person?

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
i think if u have to ask then its too soon.

i really dont have a problem with it. the problem more lies with people with questionable skills wanting to ride mine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hello Everybody,

A bike is a super efficient conversion of human energy in to forward motion. But it only works well if your muscles work well, and some time spent setting up your bike can work wonders. If you are not sure what to do phone your local CTC group who will recommend a suitable shop, or invite you along to get set up on one of their rides. If you are buying a new bike CTC has information on types of bikes. Saddle position is most important. The saddle should be horizontal, and not tipped. The old rule taught children to put both feet on the ground from the saddle, but this leaves the saddle a bit low for adults.

Best Regards,
Anthony Martello :)
This!

But more seriously, I never feel completely comfortable on someone else's bike, but I love riding other bikes. You just need to be careful.

You have been riding for 8 months, that's not a lot of time, and I guess it has been on one bike only, no? Take it easy, it's normal to feel uneasy about riding other bikes right now.

nico

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I only ride a few friends bikes. I normally wont ride someone's bike unless i know the person rather well.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I don't know WHEN I became comfortable with it.... but I can tell you that I don't even bat an eyelash when doing it these days. I can just hop on and ride whatever.

I probably wouldn't want to take it to some really twisty roads, just in case something happened.... but if we're just riding around town I don't see anything going wrong.

But I've been on dozens and dozens of bikes over the years. I'm always the guy that gets the phone call when a friend is thinking about buying a bike and wants someone to test ride it to make sure it's in good shape.

Anyways, I DO remember being nervous when I moved to Illinois and I borrowed a friends bike while mine was down. It was an 06 GSXR600 with like 800 miles on it. Brand new at the time, obviously... maybe 2-3 months old. He borrowed a friend's busa and let me ride his bike so we could ride together.

I was nervous for the first few miles, but after that I got used to it pretty quick. I never rode it again after that, but mostly because I finished my bike the next weekend.

You'll know when it's time, though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I ride friend's bikes here and there, but in truth, I really don't like it that much. I feel, like a poster above said, that my bike is set up just right for me that I always feel uncomfortable with another bike. Recently, while my bike was in the shop, I borrowed my friend's GSXR 750 for a few days including one day blasting in the twisties. That day, I also rode an MV Agusta through the twisties too. It took me some serious time to get comfortable on the 750 but later, I was wringing it out. The MV was a blast too, but those two bikes are so different... and they're both very different than my own bike. I'd say that was the first time I really rode someone else's bike like it should be ridden and it took me most of that day to get comfortable with them.

Still, while both of those bikes were so much "better" than my own, I couldn't wait to get my baby back.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I'm going on 2 years and about 33,000 miles of experience and I don't feel comfortable with it. I've ridden probably a dozen friends' bikes now, but I just never feel at all comfortable and can't wait to get off of them, even if I should be having a great time.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I think it has more to do with the friend than the bike.

I was really nervous riding my friends bike- but I finally kind of got over it and actually rode the thing (nothing crazy but stopped being a bitch on it).

I am always cautious about it- but I'm far less likely to say NO if the opportunity arises.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i don't like riding other people's rides. more than likely, i can't afford to fix it, jic, something bad happens. i've had people with way more experience ask to test ride mine and i've turned em all down, because i didn't want to ride theirs for fear of murphy's law (which is just waiting to nail my ass one of these days). i have rode other's bikes, but usually when they needed it taken to the shop to drop it off or a test ride before buying. and dealorship bikes, i REALLY don't like riding them because i might get buyer's itch and have to trade in my ride. Buddy of mine that was a salesguy for Yamaha spent a good 30 mins trying to get me to test ride a new 04 R1 in my FAV color and was getting nowhere quick. well, i'm hanging with my wife while he goes off to "take care of something", comes back with a dealer plate, slaps on the R1 and then tells my wife,"now he doesn't have an excuse." which my wife then tells me to go for a ride. WTH??? it was a quick ride, had fun, but took it easy. it will always be a bike on my list of bikes i some day might have in my future garage. :) needs to be regeared tho. ;)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I only have 1 friend that rides and he won't ride my bike. It's too big of a departure from his Magna 750. I've ridden all of my father's bikes except for his Goldwing and I don't like any of them, and don't feel comfortable on any of them.

I like my bike and don't ask to ride anyone else's. It's my father that wants to ride my bike and he switches off with me. Even if I did know more people I still wouldn't ask. I'd hate to fuck up their bike. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I turned 16 and got my license I worked at a motorcycle shop and it was my job to test ride bikes. I crashed one buddies bike hard back in the late 90's in a race but took care of it. Last spring I traded all my friends while riding in WV. I did get a bit nervous cornering my buddies new BMW 1800 as the bike cost 27k but the huge bike handles like a 600 and I loved it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts