Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to street riding and will be picking up a new 05' Kawi Ninja 500R in a week or two. I'm from the Northeast (massachusetts to be exact) and was wondering how much of the year I'll have left to ride before it gets too cold? Thanks for any help you can offer!

:hshot

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i usually put my bike away sometime in November or October, but i'm in Indiana. you may need to do so earlier :dunno. i think last winter it got warm enough to ride a few days in December.

as long as your comfortable you can ride anytime. i think some people on here ride year around regardless of weather. the main thing you need to watch for riding in cold weather is cold tires. braking and acceleration become 'slippery' on cold tires, and with the weather being cooler than in the summer it will take your tires longer to warm up too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm from Mass. If there wasn't any snow, I would ride all year long. I would say until late october/early november. Most people like to say the Halloween runs are their last rides of the year but I don't like to rule out the idea of riding later than that. It will be 30 degrees out but you just have to bundle up. As long as you enjoy riding, the cold weather really won't bother you. You just have to remember it takes longer for your tires to heat-up.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Florida...We ride almost every day of the year...The rain during the summer is the only thing that keeps the bike in the garage...Although I did get caught in a little shower today...Not by choice, I REALLY don't like riding in the rain...

·
Registered
912 Posts
All yeAR IN az

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Gets a little nippy (65 degrees) in Los Angeles every now and then, but basically can ride all year except for the couple of days it rains.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
stephygee said:
Gets a little nippy (65 degrees) in Los Angeles every now and then, but basically can ride all year except for the couple of days it rains.
No offense but it's funny when peeople call 65 cold. That is perfect in Pa for a good ride but it's very cold here in the winter. I put my bike away in Oct or Nov when ever the temp drops below 35* or when the first snow falls.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
dennisred69 said:
No offense but it's funny when peeople call 65 cold. That is perfect in Pa for a good ride but it's very cold here in the winter. I put my bike away in Oct or Nov when ever the temp drops below 35* or when the first snow falls.
Yeah, I know :) We're spoiled here in Sunny Cali! When it's 65, I go lookin' for my earmuffs :lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it best to take the insurance off the bike if you're putting it away or just keep it insured until next season? Btw, thanks for your insights so far!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Back when I lived in Seattle I just had a 8 month insurance policy, for the other 4 winter months it went to a simple "storage" insurance, which cost $3 a month and covered theft and fire damage.

·
Registered
501 Posts
yearly insurance figures in the climate for your region. the company knows you will be taking winter off from riding and that factors into the yearly price. here, most people ride april to november with a few nice days over the break, but not really worth going through the hassle of taking the bike out of storage/winterization.

this might be different for different insurance companies and vehicles. I have state farm and that is how they work for bikes. my dad insures his corvette the way firefighter does for winter and he has state farm, so check with your insurance to see how they work it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Should be till late October though last yr was stinking cold around end of September. Up here in Western Cdn. Still that is quite rare.

Only problem is dressing to stay warm & if you are riding around town or short commuting runs still if it is intended long hwy runs then the cold will creep in to make it miserable UNLESS you have electrical vest, gloves & all ther est.

Many do not feel extra money is worth just possibly a month of cold weather riding & will call it quits early in October.

Mind you I just picked up my Honda 954 to-day & it is unfortunately insured till Nov 6th & know I will not be riding then. Still the shortest I could get on the bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i live in mass and i stop once its uncomforable to ride in jeans and a sweat shirt cause when its cold u get no traction. so id say end of sept at the latest

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
we rode until early november last year, winterized the bikes and actually was able to ride on christmas eve and new years eve/day. occasional days but overall, we were done from november until mid/late march.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I decided to get the damn 05 ninja 500r afterall and will try to ride through oct. and possibly into december if i dress warm enough :) thanks for your input guys! :)

peace! :)

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I started riding last fall and I haven't ever purposely put the bike up more than a few days. I ride all year long, biiiish! :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Pretty much most of the year in Cali. Even when it's raining, i'm out riding. Come to think of it, I put more miles on my bike in the rain this past winter than I have all summer so far. WTF is up with that?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts