Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the saddle, and have been spending the afternoons riding through the country, practicing. Unfortunately, I can only make it about 2 hours before my body is on fire. Of course, it's practice, so I'm moving around a lot more than most people commuting would be, but groin and neck pain are rather significant. I know my body will adjust with practice, but I was wondering how long our senior members can go on a bike for fun before they need to ice down their delicates.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're doing it wrong.

A typical east county "swing" for us in San Diego is maybe 250-300 miles. That's considered a comfortable day's sport ride with no particular pressing involved.

KeS
Wrong? Well I know any wrist or palm pain is "wrong" because you're not supposed to hold your weight up with your hands, but I don't know what I could be doing wrong to cause soreness in my inseam. I used to ride horses, and that was simply a reality until you got used to it. My toes were also slightly numb yesterday, since I was holding up most of my weight with the balls of my feet. And my neck just hurt all over.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think you're doing it wrong. ;)

A typical east county "swing" for us in San Diego is maybe 250-300 miles. That's considered a comfortable day's backroad sport ride with no particular pressing involved. Slabbing - 5-600 miles.

KeS
I have to agree. 22yrs old and your body's "on fire" after only 2 hrs on a non-SS?? Another factor at play here, my friend.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I'm 47, overweight and out of shape.

I put in 6 am to 11 pm rides, with only gas and food stops

Man up!! You young'ens today............

you near Charlotte?

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah..... it depends on the bike, but 2-3 hours is no biggie if the roads are interesting. I start getting a little buttsore after about 4-5 hours on a supersport.

But after 2 hours I'm normally more bored than sore. How would you describe yourself physically? Tall, short? Long arms, short? These things matter....

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I had no issue doing 10 hours a day on my SV or VTR.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you wear gear? That can make a difference 2 hours with my heavy icon helmet and my neck is killing me I can do about 4 hours with my more expensive helmets before I get sore on a ss

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Sounds like you're using the wrong muscles for support. You shouldn't be pressing into the pegs so hard, and you should be using your abs more than your arms or legs. Neck pain is from a combination of the wind, and the weight of your helmet. That will get better over time as your neck muscles strengthen, but a light weight helmet is always money well spent. I'm loving the Bell Star Carbon I just picked up.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
While there are many similarities in rising machine or beast.... Being an "active" rider isn't one of them.

Sure you will be moving around on the bike but you don't need to have an active leg on the bike so if you are constantly gripping you are definitely going to be tired.

If you are new... Then you about be tired and sire after two hours but after two or three weeks if adjusting if you still feel super tired after two hours your working too hard.

I can personally have a few rough sore tired rides at the start of the season. But after a week I am good- I can do about 8 hours and I am sore and ready to be home..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've ridden 10 hours, but not on my current bike, it was a 2008 CBR600RR. I have ridden over 8 hrs on my 'Tona. In leathers.

That's why you spend the extra dough and buy an Arai, Shoei, Suomy, Bell.
Actually I found speed and strength helmets to be nice for a cheap helmet the ss1000 is only 180 brand new and is just as light as my arai. Now it is louder and moves a little more at high speeds so you do get what you pay for but the noise level doesn't bother me because I wear earplugs and unless your going over 100 the helmet doesn't really move that much either now for protection I think the speed and strength will do its job but those other brands are used by pro racers for a reason

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I've ridden 10 hours, but not on my current bike, it was a 2008 CBR600RR. I have ridden over 8 hrs on my 'Tona. In leathers.

Are you going to "sire" him? LOL
Lol as he is already in existence... No. Were he hypothetical and not yet here... I could conceivably do so... If we.go off the premise I am indeed a 16 year old boy... And he doesn't exist yet... Yes.

If we do not assume 16 year old boy status... Then no. I cannot sire him. :neener

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Being as my ride is a Laz-E-Boy on wheels, I can easily put in 12-16 hour days before boredom or my ass going numb forces me out of the saddle. This is without a windscreen and a stock saddle.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
6-8 hours I've usually had enough depends where you are going what you are doing, turning around and doing it the next day thats a little different. Max I've done was about 1300kms in a day, I haven't felt the need to repeat it. We don't ride much in the dark (ie not at all) around here the grass hoppers are big, brown, nocturnal and will ruin your day if you collect one.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Good topic.

For me, average 5 to 6 hours. The first 3 getting there is awesome---the last two hrs coming home always kinda sucked if I took the same route home.

Any more than that for me, and I'm not enjoying the ride like I should.

Oh, plus I'm a smoker, so i make excuse to stop and look at the scenery more than you cushy bottom riders on your Goldwings :twofinger

RC

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
It helps to work up to that, get used to it, get your body acclimated and in shape for that. And to ID any real ways in which your bike doesn't fit your body or vice-versa. I can do about 10 hours a day on my bike easily, for several days in a row. 12 takes intent; 14 was a bit painful.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts