Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my (KBC VR-1 Blk Chrome) helmet last year and it's already starting to get loose and push up on my head at high speed. It definitely had a much tighter fit when I bought it and didn't move around at all.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there any way to correct it (without buying a new helmet)? Do the more expensive helmet's last longer (fit wise)?

This is my fourth helmet and they've all done the same thing eventually, but I've never spent more than $150 on a helmet.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'd be happy to hear recommendations on a new helmet.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I've had 3 Shoei helmets. The first 2 did loosen up a little, but not enough to be a concern (just enough so that my cheeks appreciated it). The third one is still in break-in. If your helmet came with removable pads, you could replace them. Getting a helmet that does have removable pads may remedy this in the future. Also, make sure of the fit in the beginning. The helmet should feel snug (but not overly tight) all over when new. It makes sense that more expensive helmets may have denser foam pads that hold their shape better/longer, but I couldn't prove it.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
Also, don't let people with big heads put your helmet on.
do you mean physically or physcologically? :lol

Merlin509...if you get a new helmet just get it on-line. you can get some pretty good deals (probably not much more than your $150) on some real nice helmets sometimes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My first helmet lasted one season. My second I am still wearing. I know the padding will "settle in" so when trying on helmets, I make sure the padding is very, very tight. Haven't a problem using that technique on my current helmet and it after a few weeks, it fits just as well now as it did when the padding worked itself in.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My helmet hasn't losen at all. I got a KBC Euro

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I've gotten new cheek pads from KBC you should try contacting them. The entire liner is removeable on the VR-1, you can see if they'll sell you a whole new one just to be safe.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The problem is that the padding in your helmet has shrunk down due to wear. You're probably buying one size too big. When a helmet is new, it should be as small as possible but yet not hurt you when wearing it. The reason is because (as you've noticed), the helmet will break-in and loosen up. All helmets do this to some extent.

You can try getting replacement pads or liner, but you might still have the same problem as the stryofoam might have compressed a little as well. If that's the case, you might need to just get a new helmet.

Snell recommends replacing a helmet every 5 years as the shock absorbing properties of the helmet are diminished at that time because the materials inside the helmet start to break-down and become brittle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.