Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to hear how long people go before replacing their gloves. Not including damage due to crashes, what's the lifespan of a set of gloves in your experience?

When indicating how long your gloves lasted, it might be helpful to provide the following relevant information:
  1. Brand and model - because some gloves are better than others.
  2. Description of use - daily, seasonal, dry weather or all weather, etc.
  3. Why replacement was necessary - ripped stitching, or otherwise worn out, etc.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I started using Held in 2012, haven't had to replace either pair yet. One is heavily vented for very warm weather, the other is for general use. I also have Cycle Gear brand cold weather gloves but they don't see heavy use so they last forever. The Helds are still holding up really well. I usually replace gloves when seams start to go, which has been as long as a year and a half (Frank Thomas, Icon) or as short as 3 months (Alpinestars SP2).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I've never had to replace a pair of gloves due to wearing out. I've only replaced gloves to upgrade to better ones or due to crash damage. Currently, I'm using Held Air 'n Dry gloves, which are awesome. I think I have about 20,000 miles or so on them, and they show no signs of giving up. I think this will be the first pair of gloves that I'll actually wear until they're worn out.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm curious to hear how long people go before replacing their gloves. Not including damage due to crashes, what's the lifespan of a set of gloves in your experience?

When indicating how long your gloves lasted, it might be helpful to provide the following relevant information:
  3. Why replacement was necessary - ripped stitching, or otherwise worn out, etc.
There is no "lifespan", it all depends on how much you ride and what you do with your hands. I've seen bikes with less than 10,000 miles that have WORN grips, I have no clue what the rider does, but he chreates enough friction to wear the grips and therefore his gloves must be worn too. In my case I don't have a car and I ride daily, but I dont move my hands a lot, the grips on my bikes look just like new, so my gloves last a long time...

I had one glove that did wore through, a long time ago, and replaced it. The rest of them have been replaced due to wreck damage, losing them and one pair was screwed up as I put them over the bike's exhaust to dry them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My sp2s lasted 3 get offs, worn in various weather for about 18k miles. A seam busted in a finger and a small hole devolved in the palm from the edge of a metal bar end. Both happened well after all 3 lowsides. Guess I got lucky. Bought some heroic sprs in black, love them so far

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My Alpinestar SP1's are still kicking. This year will be the third year for them, and about 15,000 or so miles including some pretty wet ones. I do have rain gloves, but some times didn't get them on in time before the A*s were soaked.

That said I was looking at a pair of Helds to get during the riding season. Toss up on Agadir, Air N Dry, Titan or Phantom IIs. (Granted that's a pretty broad spectrum...)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
AlpineStars SP2
- 4yrs and counting. Mixed Street and also used for trackdays. Still functional but the A* logo fell off a couple of years back.

Icon Street (short mesh design)
- about 2yrs it started having holes on the fingers and palms. All from street use.

My suggestion: Buy a good namebrand leather gloves from A*, Dainese, etc as it will last you many years of good use. Spend at around $100 or more as it is worth every penny.
Then have a backup cheaper street gloves for casual short rides.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
AlpineStars SP2
- 4yrs and counting. Mixed Street and also used for trackdays. Still functional but the A* logo fell off a couple of years back.

Icon Street (short mesh design)
- about 2yrs it started having holes on the fingers and palms. All from street use.

My suggestion: Buy a good namebrand leather gloves from A*, Dainese, etc as it will last you many years of good use. Spend at around $100 or more as it is worth every penny.
Then have a backup cheaper street gloves for casual short rides.
I don't understand the point of this. If you have a good pair of gloves, why put on something cheaper and inferior for short rides? Why not just wear what you already have?

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Any pair of gloves I've had has worn through on the left index finger and the middle finger is usually thin/thinning(?). I two finger the clutch. Shortest time has been 4 months (about 8-10K miles) or so and longest maybe 2 years? The four month were some short JR, mesh gloves. Somebody gave them to me because they were too big for his dick beaters.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I don't understand the point of this. If you have a good pair of gloves, why put on something cheaper and inferior for short rides? Why not just wear what you already have?
Because on weekend rides I'll spend most of the time over triple digits while during the week, within the city, I will never get close to triple digits?

I have touring gloves, sport gloves, city gloves.

·
Believe It or Not........
5,338 Posts

I still have the very first pair of real riding gloves I ever purchased over a decade ago.

They are Alpinestar GP Plus'. They have held up relatively well. I only have a small hole in the left thumb. I think it's from my fingernail when using the signal. I now cut my nails really short.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts