Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how is your state and local economy doing in terms of business and financial wise? Name your state and city! people outside of USA are welcome to contribute too!

I live in Bakersfield, CA and the economy here is terrible!! No one is spending money here. Especially because this city's enconomy is based on oil. Since there are lots of oil fields here. Many homes are being foreclosed and business shopping centers like Mervins and Linen Things are going out of business. I hope things get better after the elections!

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
I personally see no abnormal change whatsoever.

·
Florida Flat
1,779 Posts
Sales are down a little. Holiday hiring is crap. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'm doing fine personally. I don't know anyone who's struggling.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work in the medical field so I am not complaining about the economy. Mostly because people still get sick regardless of the economy. I do watch the local news and all they have on are about how the local enconomy here is doing so bad. I feel said for other people than anything else.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
Salt Lake City seems fine. Gas is getting cheaper, I know a recent college grad who will be buying a home soon because they're pretty cheap and myself and several of my buddies got interviews and jobs with the first place we each applied to. If I were to have gone this whole time without reading the paper or watching the news I wouldn't even know we were in a crisis.

·
ALL weather rider
207 Posts
Local economy isn't doing that great... seeing a lot of small businesses going down. My current company just posted 18 job openings. But, as the other guy said...I work in the medical (Pharmaceutical) field...so job security is great for me...Hel, I just got a promotion too...

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
I live in Bakersfield, CA and the economy here is terrible!!
I'm sorry, I don't understand the connection oil has to Bakersfield's terrible economy. My family lives in the Houston area and has for almost the last ten years (Houston is the Mecca for oil in the US) and it seems fine. In fact, I just moved to SLC from DC and the Washington Post had a front page article in June about how Houston was feeling the economic crunch less than anywhere in the US.

I do hear that car dealerships all over are taking a punch though.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Vegas is fine. Tons of foreclosures and home values have fallen 40% or so. But gas is cheaper, job market doesn't seem horrible. I don't know anyone having any problems other than home/foreclosure related. Paychecks seem secure.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
In fact, I just moved to SLC from DC and the Washington Post had a front page article in June about how Houston was feeling the economic crunch less than anywhere in the US.
+1

I live out in the middle of nowhere in a farming community, closest town is 6k peeps and its been hit hard, Restaurants and Small Shops, closing their doors. etc.

However, I work in Houston and everything is "normal" here with exception of the National Chains that have chosen to close their doors.

·
Registered
157 Posts
each of my selfserve car washes were grossing averagely 33k a month in 04-06. went down a lot since then. this year they've been hanging out about 10k a month. Doesn't bother me though since I dont have a mortgage.

imo the economy is no where near as bad as the media makes it seem. Typical US new companies blowing stuff out of proportion and getting everyone scared shitless

·
"Mindbottling isn't it?"
4,573 Posts
imo the economy is no where near as bad as the media makes it seem.
Yea, the best thing for our economy is for everyone to turn their TVs off.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It seems like the lower middle class is getting pretty thrashed out here in the PNW. The upper echelons seem to be doing alright. We just don't have very many poor people out here, so it is hard to gauge the impact overall. Most people won't notice it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Most people won't notice it.
I think this is the key point.....

Hard for some to notice how the peeps are doing who are "hard up" when you speed by at 80mph, or when you avoid certain areas of town, or cross the street to avoid that "dirty person", etc. etc. etc.....

Its not the fkn media overrating things. Most need to take off their rose colored glasses...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
It's not great here, but it's not that bad either. Having a hard time finding a job - going on two years post Bachelor's Degree and I'm still answering phones and doing data entry for a living. Life here is pretty affordable though and at least I have a job, so no real complaints.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts