Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I pulled my tank off a month or so ago with the switch on off gas was still leaking out slowly on the off position. Then I've drove it around, got off and reach down to turn the switch to off and realize I never turned it on in the first place. Will anything bad come of this?

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
You're dripping fuel. Not a good thing. You should have it looked at.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
If it doesn't shut off when the bike is not running you could possibly overfill the floatbowls. Then it could run into the intake ports into the cylinders and finally into the crankcase and oil pan and into your oil. Not a good situation. You need to make sure its working properly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hagios its only dripping when I disconnect the fuel line from the tank. I'm guessing fuel might still be somewhat going through the fuel line when its off though. I'll probably buy me a new petcock switch whenever I get my paycheck as I don't want the engine filling up with gas. I wish my bike was fuel injected, don't think I'd have too much to worry about then, plus I just don't care for carbs and the choke.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jim schmidt said:
Gas will only leak if you have an open petcock combined with another problem (like a stuck float valve as mentioned above. The vast majority of riders never turn it off.

However, if maximum safety is your goal (and you use it) you may want to replace it.
Whats the chances of it getting a stuck float considering I drive it almost every day?

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
LittleTex said:
Whats the chances of it getting a stuck float considering I drive it almost every day?
Very low. (Insert the appropriate disclaimers here) I would not be reluctant to ride it, if it were me. I've never turned off my manual petcocks, except during transport or storage. If a float does stick, gas will run out the vent tube till the tank is empty and your bike will run like crap if you happen to start it.

I would be reluctant to light a match if this happens, though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jim schmidt said:
Very low. (Insert the appropriate disclaimers here) I would not be reluctant to ride it, if it were me. I've never turned off my manual petcocks, except during transport or storage. If a float does stick, gas will run out the vent tube till the tank is empty and your bike will run like crap if you happen to start it.

I would be reluctant to light a match if this happens, though.
Oh ok, well I had the idea that I was supposed to cut the petcock to off when I got off of it. :rolleyes

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
ZXLNT said:
If it doesn't shut off when the bike is not running you could possibly overfill the floatbowls. Then it could run into the intake ports into the cylinders and finally into the crankcase and oil pan and into your oil. Not a good situation. You need to make sure its working properly.
your f3 has a fuel pump so it is unlikely that you will have any of these problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts