Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished reading some websites on spinal injuries and it seems many are caused by motorcycle/auto crashes.

How many of you wear it and is it that helpful in a crash?

*what about armor that protects your chest and kidney area?

thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I use a velocity gear upper body suit that includes a back protector underneath my jacket. It's good peace of mind but statistically very few accidents involve spinal injuries. that said there are a lot of variables on the street and it only takes one situation to become quadraplegic for life. wayne rainey became paralyzed from a freak accident on the track, watching the replays of that crash I dont see how he hurt his spinal cord.

I think it's worth wearing. when it's hot I just wear the back protector.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Wear as much armor as you're willing to. It's all important. A back protector will shield you from a direct hit to some reasonable extent, but lots of spinal injuries are caused by bending (imagine doing a superman and landing on your shoulder). You can't protect from every injury, but you don't want to end up in the hospital with a preventable one either.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Back protectors shield you from both impact and bending the places are set up to bend in only one direction.
Its kinda hard to say how many times mine has saved me , but its worth the 100 bucks of insurance . Besides it could be the difference between walking out of the hospital same day VS a week Vs a month or more vs never walking again and of course VS death . Moral its cheap insurance and could very well save your life .

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I low-sided last year. Minor crash that I walked away from. Picked up my bike and drove another 30 minutes home. I was a little sore for a couple days, but my back started hurting more and more. About a month later it was to the point where I couldnt get out of bed in the morning. I finally went to the doctors in september of last year. It is now 11 months later and I am still seeing doctors. I have improved slightly, but still not 100%. I was not wearing a back protector. If I had been, I might not have had to go through all of this. I cant say for sure whether it would have helped or not, but I can say that it couldnt have hurt any. I wear one now, every time I ride. Even a simple lowside could equal years of pain.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I think I'll get one this weekend from teh local dealer

thanks!

mysubaruimp what was wrong with your back? I hope you feel better soon

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Many people call them "spine protectors". I think it's a probability of injury/consequences issue. The probability of back/spine injury may be small, but the consequences can be huge.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
MT Wallet said:
mysubaruimp what was wrong with your back? I hope you feel better soon
Depends on what doctor you talk to. I still dont have a 100% diagnosis. I have had multiple tests, xrays, etc to see what is really wrong. Everything from bulged disc, torn muscles, stretched muscles, hamstring tear, the list goes on and on.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
GreenZED said:
wayne rainey became paralyzed from a freak accident on the track, watching the replays of that crash I dont see how he hurt his spinal cord.
Whenever I hear "back injury" I think of Wayne Rainey. At least he made it out alive.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
It's as important as any other piece of protective gear, but here are some injury numbers and limitations explained according to injruy data and CE regulations:

Back protectors and lumbar protectors (EN 1621-2) are intended to provide protection against impacts against edges such as kerbing. However, while some 13% of motorcyclists sustain back injuries in crashes, the majority of these injuries are due to blows to the head or to bending and twisting of the back. A back protector will not prevent these types of injury. Less than 1% of injured riders suffer serious injuries from direct blows to the spinal area, however back protectors will provide protection from more minor injuries such as bruises and strains (EN 1621-2, p. 4).

So keep in mind, even the best and highest rated pieces are not made to limit bending or the typical injuries that cause paralysis or levels of force that cause major damage to the spine or rib cage.That's something that we might be able to change in the future, but it is still a worthy purchase, and purchasing a the highest-performing, properly certified products will lead us to those ends.

Here's a thread with more info on back protectors and options:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6675&highlight=protector

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
MT Wallet said:
yes I think I'll get one this weekend from teh local dealer
Post some pics of it when you get it. I was thinking 'bout getting back/kidney protection too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I always ride with my dainese back protector. It fits like a vest, I don't even notice it when I ride.

Attachments

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
It's a good idea to put padding over every bone that isn't covered with muscle. Like the spine for instance. Or place padding over every joint. Either way the back is included. I just wish there was some way to protect the collarbone because that's the most common injury I hear of.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good info everyone and thanks

yes I will post a pic when I get it...hopefully the ones at the local shop aren't too pricey but I guess it'll be worth it!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
There are two levels of CE back protection. Look for a level 2 protector like Tpro or Velocity Gear.

·
Registered
140 Posts
how much was it
kneedraggers.com has it for $199. I got mine from ebay for $90. Wearing the back protector has really increased my confidence while riding.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
nig said:
Wear as much armor as you're willing to. It's all important. A back protector will shield you from a direct hit to some reasonable extent, but lots of spinal injuries are caused by bending (imagine doing a superman and landing on your shoulder). You can't protect from every injury, but you don't want to end up in the hospital with a preventable one either.
That's good advice.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks every one and seebeerrrr (CBR) I get it :D

I would like to buy a back protector on ebay but I'm afraid I 'll get ripped off especially because I live in Hawaii

What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts