Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently come off of two separate day trips, each 530 kms over the same route (mountain twisties). The actual road time was 8 hours, with 4 hours more for rest and meals.

I just read that Fox426 has done 580 kms in 8 hours total (fast!) over similar terrain.

Post how far travelled in a day, how many days, hours in saddle, hours total (including stops), and terrain type?

(The winner gets to own this thread.)
:banana

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello!

I live in Montreal and we generally do our road trips in Vermont or in New-York. (Lake Placid, Adirondacs, Jay Peak, ...) Only moutain roads or side roads (we avoid highways as much as we can)

We usually start driving at around 8:00am and finish around 6:00pm.

We average 600km to 700km on our day trips.

We usually stop for 20 mins every 200km (fuel at same time) and a 1 hour lunch break.

My longest trip so far was a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 8 Days, 4500km total, it was just incredible.
Here is the map of the trip.

:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
926 KM (575 miles) in 11.25 hours. Solo, no goofing around, gas and go.

Vancouver to Osoyoos, across the border and south through Omak, west through the north cascades (Winthrop), north at Sedro-Woolley and back across the border at Sumas, Trans-Can back to Vancouver.

A tough ride mostly in in mountains. Had to slow down in the States because there seemed to be cops everywhere. Full throttle in Canada though.

Vancouverites will know that the hardest part of that trip was getting from Kits (where I live) over the Port Mann and out of Vancouver during the morning rush.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A couple of 500-mile days on the interstate with a rest day in between. Like someone else said, quite boring. :) I took my time and ended up with about 9.5 hours total each way. Maybe about 8.5 of those in the saddle, but I wasn't keeping track.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Has anyone ever hear of 'Iron Butts' or maybe even have a patch. Its a club that you get into by traveling and documenting 1000miles on your bike in 24hrs. You can go anywhere you want to but it has to be documented somehow. I met a guy at the bike safty course this spring that has done it 3 times. If I could ever get a comfortable seat on my bike, I think I'd like to give it a go.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Metric said:
Has anyone ever hear of 'Iron Butts' or maybe even have a patch. Its a club that you get into by traveling and documenting 1000miles on your bike in 24hrs. You can go anywhere you want to but it has to be documented somehow. I met a guy at the bike safty course this spring that has done it 3 times. If I could ever get a comfortable seat on my bike, I think I'd like to give it a go.
1000 miles in 24 hours? That's a bit dangerous. Are you sure it's 24 hours? You'd have to run 10 hours at 100mph or 20 hours at 50mph to get that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
04Fizzer said:
1000 miles in 24 hours? That's a bit dangerous. Are you sure it's 24 hours? You'd have to run 10 hours at 100mph or 20 hours at 50mph to get that.
Yup

See the official site : http://www.ironbutt.com/

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did 700 miles in 12 hours to Daytona on my old bike. It rained part of the way and we stop for two full meals (45 minutes each).

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
375 miles in a day, combination freeway/twisties, with a three hour break in the middle to hang out at the beach. It wasn't the seat that was making me nuts, it was the vibes.

I know several people who do the Iron Butt. Those are some strange men. They carry more volume in auxillary fuel tanks than luggage. Plus, they know all the ways to keep a broken bike rolling.

Did any of you see the article in Bike about the courier who probably has more miles on a bike than anyone, living or dead?

·
Registered
676 Posts
My wife and I, she on her FZ6 and me on my FJR just returned from an 8 day, 4055 mile trip.

The longest day was Idaho Falls, ID to Durango, CO. We took the scenic routed and it ended up being 710 miles. The last 100 miles was over Red Mountain, between Ouray and Durango. If you've been there you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't...you should see/ride it.

Both bikes performed flawlessly over the whole trip, including elevation changes of 600ft to over 14K ft.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Recently did 740+ miles from Littleton CO, to Bozeman MT in 24 hours, I would have gone through the Tetons and Yellowstone if I had known about the Iron Butt thing :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
MrVvrroomm- Get MrsVvrroomm on here to tell us how the bike did!

·
Registered
676 Posts
karst said:
MrVvrroomm- Get MrsVvrroomm on here to tell us how the bike did!
She says her bike rocks! Her former touring machine was a Kawasaki ZZR1200. She doesn't miss the extra power OR the extra weight.

I had to keep telling her to get the tach up in the high numbers! LOL I think she was a little afraid to "wind 'er up". We did some high speed cruising in rural areas, at or near 100mph. The bike has no trouble, fully loaded with luggage, maintaining that speed.

She said the stock seat really sucks. The Corbin that was on order for over 6 weeks prior to the trip never arrived. I've always been a big fan of Corbin, have them on all the other bikes in my garage. They gave me a big run around, actually flatout lied to me a couple of times. Enough of that side rant, Corbin can kiss my ass.

Anyway, the bike performed flawlessly. I'm really glad I wired up her handwarmers before we left. We had some cold/wet riding days.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow! I thought I was hauling in alot of miles in one day. You guys are doing up to double what I have done. (I think I better get 'er out of 3rd gear and open her up.)

Score (so far) (I am humbled by you guys and gals):
:Bd
Skeleton = 530 km / 12 hr = The standard by which all others are measured.
Drachnyen = 700 km / 10 hr = Rules the eastern mountains.
BillfromBothel = 1040 km / 12 hr = Farthest overall (close 2nd, in one short day).
jbright44 = 720 / 7.5 hr = Fastest (is this all highway?)
CorvetteBoy = 926 km / 11hr = Rules the western mountains.
fraggle1 = 800 km / 9.5 hr = Rules the heat.
Metric = dreaming about 1600 km/day.
04Fizzer = still doing the math on 1600 km/day.
apollo1813 = 1120 km /12 hr = Farthest (1st, in one short day).
5always = 800 km / day x 2= Stamina (period)
karst = 600 km / day = Best looking over short distances.
MrsVvrroomm = 6500 km / 8 days = 810 km / day = ("The Leader")
Mr.Vvrroomm = 6500 km / 8 days = 810 km / day = ("The Follower")
kevbelz = 1184 km / 24 hrs = Farthest in one hell of a long day.

Check out this guy, Nick Sanders. He is riding an Yama R1 around the world (20,o00 mi) in 20 days = 1000 mi /day = 1600 km / day.
http://www.motochallenge.com/index.shtml
http://www.motochallenge.com/rtwhome.htm
:smilierr

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
I have done several 350 mile days in 8 hours. I have also done a 325 mile day with the wife riding 2 up in about 8 hours. Mostly all backroad twisties with a short interstate jaunt to and from. The Corbin helps tremendously.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Skel- I like the way you keep score. :)

20K in 20 days? That's 20 Iron Butts in a row. Most people are content to do it once and talk about it for the rest of their lives.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts