Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike battery died on me and I tried and tried to roll start it.

Anyone know the right way? And how do you keep the motor running once it starts? Mine kept dying in idle.

:cheers

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
put it in first, second might work, and get it going as fast as you can and then dump the clutch. Dump the clutch with no sand or gravel will help also. Don't forget to turn the key on, and give it gas if it needs it. I don't know for sure, but on a carburated bike, it may need to be on choke.

BTW- when I did it when my battery died, I pulled the clutch back in after I dumped it and gave it gas if needed.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
put it in 2nd and hold the clutch in and get going at a decent speed, then let the clutch out in should start running. Mine always stayed running so I don't know why yours would keep dying at an idle, I'm sure someone will have some insight though.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I live on a really steep hill so I just rolled it down in 2nd and popped the clutch. I would hate to try it if I had to push it myself.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Pop it... all at once.

Might want to bounce down on the seat too to keep the wheel in touch with the ground - but that's more a big deal on twins.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It dies at idle because your alternator doesn't make enough juice to charge the dead battery and keep the bike running at such a low RPM. Take it on the highway for 5-10 min, or keep it revved at about 5k for a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you very much people

We're going to put it in a truck and take it to the shop tuesday since they're closed this 4th weekend

I also dropped the bike on it's side, trying to roll start it.

It sucks but like you guys said better to learn on a bike that's old. And this bike is old

·
Registered
954 Posts
MT Wallet said:
thank you very much people

We're going to put it in a truck and take it to the shop tuesday since they're closed this 4th weekend

I also dropped the bike on it's side, trying to roll start it.

It sucks but like you guys said better to learn on a bike that's old. And this bike is old
Why don't you just jump start it from a car?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Desp said:
the battery in my bike is not easily accessible...you need to take off a panel and I don't know how and had no tools.

with my ex500 I just had to take off the seat...but not this bike :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Desp said:

car batteries put out way too much voltage, they can literally fry the entire electrical system on a bike.........but if you must use a car, make sure it is NOT RUNNING.......

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BusaHaya402 said:
car batteries put out way too much voltage, they can literally fry the entire electrical system on a bike.........but if you must use a car, make sure it is NOT RUNNING.......
thank you for the advice.... I vaguely remember this when I had an ex500 eons ago.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Desp said:
+1 Just keep the car's engine turned off!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
My starter button keeps failing all the time on my F2. To get it started if its cold I turn the choke on, put the bike in 2nd gear, run with it jump on and dump the clutch.

If the motor is warm I just get it going 5mph put it into 1st and jump on. I have done it running beside but don't think its a good idea cause it can drag you if you give it too much throttle.

I had that happen once on my 200CC cause I had it full throttle and it kept bogging, as soon as the motor fired up it dragged me down the street and I couldn't get the throttle off, so I ran into a shrub and slow down enough to let the throttle out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
BusaHaya402 said:
No, they still put out 12 volts, they just have more available amps, but your bike will only draw what it needs

·
Registered
471 Posts
ive jump started lots of jetskis using cars... never any problems... 12 volts is still 12 volts....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I must push-start my bikes at least 10 times a year...

What I find works best is to leave it in neutral, gather some speed, and then click the gearbox into first while plopping my ass hard onto the seat to prevent the tire from sliding as much. I usually give it a little gas when clicking it into gear but it depends on your bike and situation. Some people prefer second gear or using the clutch, but for me they have not been as effective. Doing it my way the sportbike and supermoto tend to fire up first try.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts