Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people you know who are always telling you that.. basically you are going to die because you ride a bike and they know someone who knows somone who died...

i usually tell them yea... thats what my plans were when i got a bike, to die

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, I usually say I don't plan to die, but somethings got to kill you and if its my time, then its my time. I'm not cheating fate by buying a bike and dying early.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i usually just blow it off, but yeah, it seems like everyone that doesn't ride knows someone who got hurt bad on a motorcycle and assumes that everyone will get hurt bad that rides one.

sometimes, if i'm in the mood to press buttons, l'll tell them that it takes their attention while they are driving their cage to keep motorcycle riders safe too. i try and make them feel like they are responsible for road safety too, and it usually shuts them up. everybody has blown a stop sign or done something stupid in their cage that could've caused an accident at one point in their driving lifetime.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
chesus said:
how do you respond to people you know who are always telling you that.. basically you are going to die because you ride a bike and they know someone who knows somone who died...

Honestly? I tell them that my fate rests in Gods hands and regardless of what action I take to avoid death......it WILL find me when the time comes.

If they believe in God, then that immediatly shuts them up....it they do not it still shuts them up because people don't like to talk about religion in person, but they'll critisize the hell out of you on the net :lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
tell them death can come from anywhere, only one person knows where and when it'll be. better to die on a bike than slipping and falling in the shower. :flipa :D

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
Lok said:
tell them death can come from anywhere, only one person knows where and when it'll be. better to die on a bike than slipping and falling in the shower. :flipa :D

I think i would rather go out on a bike then in a slip and fall also.....i just tell people that im fine if i go i go its not gonna stop me from riding but they think what they say would

·
Registered
498 Posts
Better than half of all motorcycle fatalities are single rider incidents and involve alcohol. My response is to reply that I ride in a manner that works to keep me out of danger, I wear all my gear, all the time and I never, ever drink if I am going to ride. That cuts my odds in half right there.

The rest of the single bike wrecks involve rider error. Running into a turn hot, speeding, etc. That's avoidable too. Turn has a 25mph sign posted and you've never taken it? Simple: Slow down to 25-30mph and take it easy. Can't control gravel or sand in the road but a slow turn speed gives you a chance to evaluate and adjust your line if possible.

Fortunately, I know no one that says I'll be killed on a bike. If I start feeling that I am in danger on my bike, I don't ride. Those days happen. If it reaches a point that the feeling will not go away, it's time to stop riding.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My parents berated me for ages on this one.

Gear: I SAY I'm fully geared at all times. I'm a liar. Sometimes I don't wear my jacket (no excuse). Always gloves and helmet, but that saves my life and not my skin.

Training: MSF BRC, ERC, trackdays, riding with non-squids, and all the material I can find about riding (this site, keith code, nick ienatsch, etc etc). not only about riding, but about mindset, traction control, where I should be looking/pay attention, bike repair, ANYTHING.

Style: I speed AWAY from cars. most of tx is hwy driving. My objective on the road is to stay as far away from other cars as I can. God knows what the hell they're doing. Sure, I speed, but not excessively. Once I'm in a patch of open highway i take it damn easy. have yet to attack twisties.

riding mates: nobody who competes or acts like a total jackass. i don't want to crash, nor do I want to stop and pick up somebody who does

Basically I show people that I do everything I can to minimize risks. There are people who ride weaving through traffic on unknown roads with a cellphone, sandals, and basketball shorts, flying hard on an R1 they can't control.

I know my limits, and push them GENTLY when I ride. 'Cause I have to develop better skills to stay alive. Don't push that envelope too hard, though!

And I make sure I have fresh underwear on at all times. Nobody's packing me into a meatbox with skidmarks on my drawers.

/squeaky clean since '89

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I fully expect to die on a motorcycle. I've been very nearly crippled on one and that will haunt me for the rest of my life with surgeries, pills, and pain.
Never once considerd NOT riding. If I die on a bike, I'll die doing what I love.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I basically tell them that I ride my bike aways in full gear, and I am always cautious. If I die riding my bike, at least I know I die doing something I enjoyed and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I just look at um and say "Yup, your prolly right, at least I'll die doing what I love to do the most"... and leave it at that.....

·
Registered
731 Posts
I say "yup, true. I will.... wana come with me for a ride on my bike :D ?"

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i get that too. mainly from my co-workers b/c I'm a trauma nurse by profession. I just tell them when the time comes, it will come and nothing i'm doing in the meantime will change that. Either I tell them that or "oh, god, I hope so!" Then they just think I"m crazy :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
I tell them you can die in a car wreck too so they should stop driving.

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
I tell them I smoke cigars and shoot guns as well, SO WHY THE F DON'T THEY GO DEMONSTRATE FOR SOME MORE LEGISLATION, MAGGOT!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts