Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a local highway in my car, typical 6pm traffic, everyone's going 65 to 70 with little more than 1 car length of space between them. I'm in the left lane at the end of a row of cars passing a big truck in the right. At the last minute, some guy on a bike (an '05 GSX1K) flies up on the right and cuts right between me and the car in front. If I hadn't already had a rather frustrating day, I might have backed off and given him some space, but I just kept my distance from the car in front, hey, it was his decision to jam himself into that spot. I know, I know, I should have backed off, but I don't care what you're on, if you show no respect for other motorists, you can't really expect any in return. Was I wrong?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Nope. I usually do the same thing, send the message and then back off. Stuff like that happens up here all the time because people in New England (at least 90% of them) can't drive if their lives depended on it. Tailgate maybe for a second and then back off.

If you rearend them, its your fault, your insurance points, your citation for driving too close, regardless of the events that added up to that point.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Well, no question about it - the guy was a jerk and your reaction was a natural one.

That said, once he's in there you need to back off. He can still out stop you and if he had to jump on the brakes you'd have killed him. No reason to risk a guy's life (even a dipstick's) for two seconds on the road.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
You don't "handle" jackass bikers while in your car. That's called roadrage, and I hope anyone that trys to goes to jail.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did cover the brake with my left foot just incase, and as soon as he had the chance, he swerved out in front of the truck, passed the person in front of me, and cut in front of them to pass more people on the right. Did that several times until the road opened up. Just pissed me off because they're the type who justify cops hassling us...

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ershank said:
You don't "handle" jackass bikers while in your car. That's called roadrage, and I hope anyone that trys to goes to jail.
I said how do you handle them, not how do you "handle" them. I just meant how do you react to the situation - back off and give him space or let him sit between the rock and hard place he jammed himself between. I certainly didn't mean "handle" as in aggressively pursue revenge or anything.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I will back off and let them be, no reason to get myself into a situation because of someone else's stupidity.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
A loooooooooooooooooong horn blast..would probably have woke him up, then he would think about his actions after he no doubt takes off......I def wouldn't tailgate too long..I wouldn't want to run over even a jackass rider.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
a horn blast will usually get you the finger turning a bad situation into something worse. I hate that shit myself and will usually let them be as a weekend in county jail dont sound like a good time. And if i get mad and the dood says or does something stipid thats where ill end up. So i say fuck it and let the boy go, hell like others have said he'll end up on a metal slab soon enough riding like that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did cover the brake with my left foot just incase
Bad move if you drive a manual. U ever tried to push the brake with your left foot thats used to a clutch. Hello lock ups! even if you try to do it softly your foots used to wacking it onhard.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unexplained_Ways said:
Bad move if you drive a manual. U ever tried to push the brake with your left foot thats used to a clutch. Hello lock ups! even if you try to do it softly your foots used to wacking it onhard.
That's what I was thinking, my left foot has to stay away from the brake lol. I usually give them space and watch ahead for when they go down after they swerve through more traffic so I don't rearend the person in front of me.

Amazingly the people in cars that do that stuff piss me off a lot more than the ones on motorcycles.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
stealthy1 said:
A loooooooooooooooooong horn blast..would probably have woke him up, then he would think about his actions after he no doubt takes off......I def wouldn't tailgate too long..I wouldn't want to run over even a jackass rider.
That's true. I should specify that's how I deal with jackass cage drivers.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Unexplained_Ways said:
What's wrong with using the right foot to cover the brake and the left to cover the clutch?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ride... but, when I'm driving my HU some dumbass does shit like that to me, I'm thinking: NEW HOOD ORNAMENT....

Edit: that's one of the nice things about driving a HU... with the exception of Mac Trucks and Semi's, EVERYONE shows respect. No one wants to die under 9000'lbs of steel.

·
Registered
994 Posts
On some roads, if you try to leave any more than a car-length, you will find that the space just gets filled up. You would have to be going backwards to keep a safe following distance. He obviously felt he had enough space to ride in; he would rather ride in it than wait for an opening to pass. It's easy to get used to small spaces, high speeds, and weaving without even realizing your doing it (unless you make a deliberate effort like repeating to yourself...Thou shalt not weave)

·
Flyin' Low
756 Posts
I think the best thing to do is to let them go about their craziness. It's no use making the situation less safe for them (if that's at all possible). There's really nothing you can do while traveling 70 mph to make them realize they're going to hurt themselves. Tailgating is dangerous for the obvious reasons, and blowing the horn might upset they're concentration and spook them, or it could even instigate them to do even crazier things.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
i personally wouldnt have fugged with him.. traffic's bad as it seems by 6 so as a fellow biker i would probably given him the gap

1 - 20 of 25 Posts