Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
strap another helmet onto the back of your bikes while you are riding?

I ride 2^ a lot with my gf and I like the idea of being able to keep her helmet on the back, but there is nowhere to safely strap it without me worrying about it falling off. I see people ride with helmets on the back seat. How do they do it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
most bikes have a little hook for the D ring on your helmet on the underside of the rear seat or rear seat cowl. Also a good place to hang your own helmet when you are off the bike.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
and im sure he ^^^ will gladly sell you a new tail section when the helmet rubs through the paint. :D

actually, that's how you do it. it's intended to secure your helmet when the bike is parked, but there is no reason why you can't use it for a second helmet... other than the helmet may bounce around and eventually damage the bike and or helmet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've never had a helmet damage the paint but maybe their are some bike/helmet combos that do. With that said, why yes I can hook you up with a new set of fairings should damage take place!

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Tell the GF to get her own bike and store her own shit.

Reactions: stnkbg1

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I bolted a luggage rack on my rear seat so I can't take passengers. Problem solved! I ferkin hate riding with a passenger.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Tell the GF to get her own bike and store her own shit.
Eh. Some girls don't want to ride their own bike. They just want to hang on and enjoy the scenery.

OP: The ones that have it on the back seat thread the helmet strap through a strap located on the passenger seat.

This is what my seat looks like:

The Daytona does not have a helmet lock like most other bikes have. Your bike probably will though.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Eh. Some girls don't want to ride their own bike. They just want to hang on and enjoy the scenery.

OP: The ones that have it on the back seat thread the helmet strap through a strap located on the passenger seat.

This is what my seat looks like:

The Daytona does not have a helmet lock like most other bikes have. Your bike probably will though.
what does it look like under the seat?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If I had this "problem" I'd use a bungee net, but on my Concours 14 I can carry a helmet in each bag. :banana

·
Registered
743 Posts
I once left my helmet hung from the helmet lock loop thing on the rear fender and drove for about 50 yards down a driveway to park it in a better spot. That short trip had my rear tire wear a long strip down to the white undercoat and eat the edge of the liner. Luckily it wasn't on a helmet I wear much.
Make sure there is no rubbing or contact before riding your bike with your helmet on that hanger lock thing.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The only bikes I've ever had that did have the helmet lock were my two Kawasakis, my Triumph, Yamaha, and Aprilia have not had them. The Yamaha had grabrails I could hang a helmets from, but not while riding, on the Ape and Triumph I just loop it around the passenger footpeg.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
You don't want a helmet flopping around on the back of your bike; just give it to your gf and she has it when you pick her up.
and when they break up he's out the cost of a helmet.

no thanks.

the single best option has been posted and reposted. the elastic nets are the way to go. you can hook to just about anything under the tail, even wrap it around and hook it to itself if you want to. not to mention that they aren't cost prohibitive, and you can throw em under the seat while riding anyway.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and when they break up he's out the cost of a helmet.

no thanks.

the single best option has been posted and reposted. the elastic nets are the way to go. you can hook to just about anything under the tail, even wrap it around and hook it to itself if you want to. not to mention that they aren't cost prohibitive, and you can throw em under the seat while riding anyway.
HAHAHA i laughed at that one

This isn't the first time I've heard about the plastic nets for storage of things so i'm gonna look into them.

Only thing I am worried about is rubbing paint if I hang it from the D ring on the tail.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use a bungee net to secure the helmet. I don't particularly like to do it if I have a backpack on as well because it doesn't allow me to stand up tall when at stoplights, but it's quite useful. I have a sargent seat on my bike and it's got little hooks that I can extend out from underneath that will serve as hook points for the bungee net. Very useful feature. Otherwise, you can use some hooking point on your bike like the frame or something.

You could also get a bag that has a helmet encasement, but I'd hate to wonder what would happen on a get-off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you can use Stainless steel cable. The cable can be pulled forward, cinched tight around an object, but it can't be pulled out without unlocking and releasing the grippers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts