Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself riding everyday since I got the bike, and I was wondering how you guys ride the bike, like shift points, speed, etc. I find myself shifting around 8-9k in first and second gears sometimes, and around 6k after that on my F4i. I think I'm winding out first and second a little too much for just commuting and shit, but I think the bike is find. I also find myself on the speed limit, or within 5mph of it. I don't speed that much, maybe its because I'm a new rider, AND I don't need a ticket :). I think I need to stop winding out first and 2nd gear, but it doesnt even hit the red till 14.5k (which I've come NO WHERE near). People who hold their shifts out, how are your bikes holding together?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Look at it this way.I f you keep running out those gears in traffic,sooner or later someone is going to call the popo and report it.The next thing ya know,there watching your every move and making u-turns to follow you.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, 8k in 1st in like 55mph, I'm not speeding when I do it, heh. Not to mention its not all the time at all.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The speed doesn't matter,it's the noise that gets them looking.Then they just assume your speeding.

We live in the times of quick draw cell phones.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you're right, I'm not going to argue with ya :). I just find myself winding 1st out once (8-9k) everytime I'm out. I just got the bike, I need to quit that shit. I haven't really broke 65-70mph (highway) tho, so I guess I just like the sound of the little 4 pot spinning.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Take it out in the boonies and let it rip.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you see my location? I am in the boonies, LOL. It's either highway or boonies here! I love it here tho, I can't complain. Wish more of the Harley guys would wave tho, that'd be cool. Every sportbike rider does, and some harleys do too.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I did about 200 miles of twisties and canyons today,not one stop sign or red light.

·
Registered
681 Posts
1st: winding out a gear means taking it to REDLINE, not just 8k.

2nd: if you hit 55 in first and shift, unless you're on the freeway, you're speeding.

3rd: for the sake of noobies and others..slow down. shift out at 4k....and take a few turns....running WFO in a straight line can be done by any monkey......and will get you tickets.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did the same thing when i started riding,my loud pipe definately caught the cops attention needless to say I got pulled over didnt get a ticket just told me to keep it down around town.

·
Registered
260 Posts
your 1st bike is a F4i? Hows it been treatin ya?

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Knock on wood, very good so far. I haven't tried to really push anything tho. I only made one mistake, I came into a turn a little to quick and ended up standing the bike up and stopping mid turn (backroad). I wasn't really going too fast, but part of the road was flooded, and that spooked me. Glad the thing stops on a dime.

·
Registered
584 Posts
being as new rider (in training) I tend to shift around 4K, as the engine winds up to fast for me to shift faster :(

·
Registered
605 Posts
Right out of my garage I tend to go all the way through 1st...which is bad I know, I know, I just love the sound of my muzzy above 10k and shifting at high rpms. Otherwise I shift around 5k rpms in every gear

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
ZX7R95 said:
Right out of my garage I tend to go all the way through 1st...which is bad I know, I know, I just love the sound of my muzzy above 10k and shifting at high rpms. Otherwise I shift around 5k rpms in every gear

Str8 out of the garage wide open into a right or left turn onto the street.

And on cold tires,that'll get ya to kissing the pavement real quick.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ya, riding through the city or if im sick of holdin on tight, ill just shift about 5k, enough power to still go faster than passenger cars and my pipe sounds best from 3k-5k rpms.

Unless your haulin ass, theres no need for goin above 6-7k IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts