Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 R6. I just regeared the bike this past week. I went from 16 up front to a 15 and from 48 in the rear to a 50. I like the fact that the bike has awesome acceleration in any gear now. 2nd almost feels like 1st used to. The only thing im not to happy about is riding wheelies. Yes regearing helps the bike come up easier but the gears run out so much faster. With stock gearing i could clutch 2nd up and ride it out as long as i had a straight without any problem. I could keep the speed constant. Now with the regearing i feel like i have to learn how to clutch again. Everything i did before, doesnt respond like it used to. Now when i clutch up even right after i switch to 2nd, the bike comes up so damn fast scaring me sometimes. Other times i ride it out and it just ends so fast. 3rd gear has a bit more room, but it still winds out pretty quick and you also have to be up higher in the gear to clutch it. I still havent perfected switching gears while in the wheelie. What does everyone else do with regeared bikes? Yes it comes up easier but i miss being able to just ride that mile long wheelie. Now its so torquey that any slight twist of the throttle throws me off. Help!!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I had a +5 on for awhile.......I hated it on actual rides. It was nice to have around town and for screwing around (wheelies and shit like that), but on the freeway, or just around 60-70 Miles an hour, it blew. I just put a stock sprocket back on it yesterday. My gas mileage also sucked ass with the +5.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
if you were riding mile long wheelies before, than you were getting the bike to the balance point and holding it there. if you get the bike to the balance point you wont have to worry about revving out.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
boostnm3 said:
I have an 01 R6. I just regeared the bike this past week. I went from 16 up front to a 15 and from 48 in the rear to a 50.

Good God man! If you really don't like it put the old rear sprk back on. Going one down in the front is roughly the same as going 2 up in the rear and that should be more then enough. In effect you went up 4 in the rear and that is a major change! Start smaller and work your way up. :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I went +2 in the rear (from 47 to 49) on my YZF. Not a huge difference in the numbers game, the ratio wasn't dramatically upgraded.
But it was a mod that I felt everywhere it counted. Especially off stoplights. MUCH less dragging the clutch or lost rev. Just an all around more authoritive get up and go feel.
For longer rides it's still reasonable for revs at highway speeds. Makes passing a car easier now that I don't have to tap dance on the shifter to get some pulling power.
I'm putting on a -1 front to go with it. This may cause longer flatland rides a bit excessive in teh rev dept. And my gas consumption will go up, but for in town and in the twisties, I expect only good things.

Remember that most bikes are geared so small to achieve that almighty top speed rating for the spec sheet racers. With the exception of very potent bikes like the ZX-10 or torquey bikes like the twins, almost any sport bike will benefit around town with a good regearing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did a -1 front and +2 rear on my bike. I love the way it pulls harder out of the turns and on straights. How often do you actually do 160+ mph, so a top speed is not the neccessary for me.

·
Registered
912 Posts
i went up two in the back on my 1996 750. I loved it. But anything more would have been stupid

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I went from a 47 to a 49 in the rear and down from a 15 to a 13 in the front. All power with no lag anyware.

·
Registered
61 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
Remember that most bikes are geared so small to achieve that almighty top speed rating for the spec sheet racers. With the exception of very potent bikes like the ZX-10 or torquey bikes like the twins, almost any sport bike will benefit around town with a good regearing.
The 10 has a pretty tall 1st. You would be just getting into the goods at 50mph. I dropped 1 in the front to better utilize the power band. Running about 4400 @ 60mph in top gear (actual). If you change gearing, a speedohealer is a must. It allows you to calibrate your speedo to compensate for the change. Anyway, I like the change since I don't spend much time in 6th WFO :eek:

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
I have 1 down in the front on my ZX12R. It helped around town drivability and slow speed riding greatly. It did take away from gas mileage though, it's not as good as it once was. Someplace I read makes an overdrive 6th gear. That would be nice to have the stock ratio back for highway riding but still geared lower in the rest of the gears..

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a -1 on my 7R and love the "increased" low end around town. It roughly turns 500 RPM faster in any given gear, so I haven't lost much in the way of top speed or gas mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i rode the bike around some more today. I have to say im getting used to it more. The bike just has power in any gear at any speed now. I can start in 3rd from the light. I have to give it a little more gas but it isnt to sluggish. I rode some pretty good wheelies also. Its all about finding that balance point. I just hated how touchy the throttle was till i got used to it. It made it hard to ease your way up to the balance point. It pretty much shoots up there fast. I had a shop do the work so they kept the old parts. Im thinking they fixed the speedo because i had a friend ride beside me on his stock 03 gsxr1000 and my speedo was only 5 or so mph higher than his. Feels like its much faster but it was only reading 5 more. Anyways, thanks for the imput guys. Now we will see how the gas mileage is affected.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The speedo on your friend's bike could be +5 MPH or so, so you might want to check with something a little more accurate since factory bike speedos are known to be inflated fairly often. Good to hear that you are growing used to the new gearing. As with anything that changes the way your vehicles ride/drive, it will take some getting-used-to, but you may enjoy it more in the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts