Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is very newbie, but when you fill up the tank, how do you know when it's full. I don't think it's like a car where it shuts off when it's full, or does it?

Sorry, but they didn't teach this to us at the MSF.

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I fill it through the top. Seriously though, you will have to fill it to the bottom of the filler neck. You will release the nozzle yourself when you think it is full. Don't lock the handle.
Like I said just fill it to the bottom of the filler neck inside the tank.

Vic

·
Registered
130 Posts
The nozzle will shut off on its own, BUT remember how long the nozzle is. You'll only have 1/2 tank when it shuts off. So you'll have to hold the nozzle up out of the tank some. Just do what Little ZZR said & fill it to bottom of the neck.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I think you have to make sure the nozzile is in contact with the tank. Don't fill it up with the nozzle in the middle of the hole.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I never thought about it put that would ground it to the bike and stop any possible static discharge when the fuel coming out of the hose hits the fuel in the tank....
Good call.

Vic

·
Registered
336 Posts
i just learned something new after 2 years. good thinking.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I guess my question would be, is if you are standing right over the top of while you are filling it, how can you NOT know when it's full? :dunno

·
Registered
863 Posts
It's all visual. When you see it's full, it's full. My tank has a plate in the way, so I can just drop the handle in and rely on the auto shutoff deal even if I wanted to. So, I basically fill it to the bottom of the neck, round up to the nearest dime (yes, I'm anal about odd amounts), and and ride ... about as simple as that.

·
Registered
912 Posts
ZXRon said:
It's all visual. When you see it's full, it's full. My tank has a plate in the way, so I can just drop the handle in and rely on the auto shutoff deal even if I wanted to. So, I basically fill it to the bottom of the neck, round up to the nearest dime (yes, I'm anal about odd amounts), and and ride ... about as simple as that.
These days I'm rounding up to the nearest DOLLAR almost every time... Gas prices here in Seattle are getting frickin' ridiculous, and with the hurricane cutting gas production for the gulf coast area, I'm betting they're going to top $3 a gallon here.

It's almost time to start thinking about doing a pump and jump ever other fill up... haha.

I'm just kidding, of course. I would NEVER do that.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Heath3n said:
I guess my question would be, is if you are standing right over the top of while you are filling it, how can you NOT know when it's full? :dunno
+1 I always watch it and when it reaches the bottom of the neck, it's full.

·
Registered
863 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
These days I'm rounding up to the nearest DOLLAR almost every time... Gas prices here in Seattle are getting frickin' ridiculous, and with the hurricane cutting gas production for the gulf coast area, I'm betting they're going to top $3 a gallon here.
So true. I saw $2.96 for 93 octane, and that was before the storm hit. It will be that price for 87 soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You guys think that's bad, but you should see what gas prices are in Europe. No wonder why there's not an suv for miles, the cars are so small, and so many people have more motorcycles than in the US. Last time I saw a price posted it was about $1.50 a liter, and there's over 3 liters in a gallon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
prices just breached $3/gallon here in North california, at least in silicon valley. And thats for REGULAR (87 octane). And I dont even own a bike yet, but a stupid Ford Ranger!!! (17mpg).

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
There's lots more motorcycle's on the road in TO. It could be a new fad or blame it on the high gas prices.

Hey, if their taking the SUV off the road. Then I am all for the high gas prices.
:eatpop

camshaft said:
You guys think that's bad, but you should see what gas prices are in Europe. No wonder why there's not an suv for miles, the cars are so small, and so many people have more motorcycles than in the US. Last time I saw a price posted it was about $1.50 a liter, and there's over 3 liters in a gallon.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
BTW..on my ZZR 250. Regarding the fuel dial on the left hand side. The dial has "On, Res and PRI. The on and Res is easy. What is PRI? I don't have the owners manual to look it up.

Why isn't there an off setting?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
PRI stands for prime. Your petcock is vacuum operated, meaning that it's only open when the engine is running unless it's set to prime (that's why there's no off setting). When you want to start the bike after draining the carbs, you should switch it to prime for a few seconds before hitting the starter to let the carbs fill up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
camshaft said:

ive been to germany a few times and have had a chance to experience their gas prices first hand. thing you gotta remember is that most of there gas price is tax. and they get there moneys worth for that tax, public transportation over there is EXTENSIVE to say the least. here is the US we are gonna be paying high gas prices and have nothing to show for it. we wont have a public transportation system to fall back on like they do in EU.

·
Registered
149 Posts
50mpg I can't complain..The bike has been my hero this summer. Do you guys find yourself riding just ride though? I mean like you by a bike to commute back and forth to work, but then you decide to ride 30 miles of country roads to hit the twisties..Doesn't it cancel itself out?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
killahant said:
50mpg I can't complain..The bike has been my hero this summer. Do you guys find yourself riding just ride though? I mean like you by a bike to commute back and forth to work, but then you decide to ride 30 miles of country roads to hit the twisties..Doesn't it cancel itself out?

Nah, if you have a 4 gallon tank that still gets you about 43 miles a gallon, if you take into effect the 30 miles. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts