Sport Bikes banner

how do you clean old loctite?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  serpentracer 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm changing the sub-frame on my zx10r and it has a whole bunch of thread locker in the hole and on the bolts. whats the easy way to get it off with out ruining anything?

I'm kinda sketch on the torch to the frame. Any tips?

fyi i used regular allen wrenches to take it off. just a bit of elbow grease and off it came.

#2 ·
#3 ·
PB blaster would break down the substances in the thread locker. Also for future reference when using any thread lockers all it takes is a small drop on the thread of the bolt before you put the bolt in. This way if you need to take it off it won't be all over the hole and bolt forcing you to break your hands trying to get a bolt off, but it is also enough to keep a bolt from coming lose!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
heat will soften loctite so that you can remove bolts.
Wire wheel will remove loctite from the bolt threads.
for the stuff in the frame:
acetone will embrittle loctite, then you can use a pipe cleaner or wire bore brush to flake the remainder out.
Nitromethane will dissolve loctite and is what Loctite sells as their suggested solvent.
https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/AED0F682D7F5D8DF882571870000D8B7/$File/768-EN.pdf

but i never bother to really clean the holes. Just a quick buzz with a pipe cleaner, then a blast of air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.