Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me counts the bugs....

Holy bugs batman! I ended up laying on my tank last night on the way home because of all the bugs, and I still had a visor full of the little buggers.

200 miles in two days. I know it doesn't seem like a lot to almost all of you, but it's most definitely a lot for me. A large portion of it was city driving. Maybe that's why it seemed like a lot more. Throw in the 90+ degree heat and insane humidity, and it led to some serious swamp butt.

The bike faired quite well in the heat. The gauge went up to 4 bars a couple times, but I don't think the fan ever turned on.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Mr. Swamp Butt, try this: http://www.buttpaste.com/

BTW- I agree with you about city miles being harder. You're not looking just at the road, it's all the cars, peds, bicycles, pot holes, lights, driveways... Especially fun if your sight is obscured by a hundred bugs and your brain is cooking.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
karst said:
Mr. Swamp Butt, try this: http://www.buttpaste.com/

BTW- I agree with you about city miles being harder. You're not looking just at the road, it's all the cars, peds, bicycles, pot holes, lights, driveways... Especially fun if your sight is obscured by a hundred bugs and your brain is cooking.
This weekend was the first time in a long time that I haven't ridden in proper attire. It was shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers just because of the damn heat. I figured road rash would be better than passing out from the heat.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Come down to Florida and you can ride through bug city...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bumblebee said:
Come down to Florida and you can ride through bug city...
Fortunately, the bugs were the least of my concern last night. We came home through back roads where deer are quite prevalent. The funny thing is, we got almost all the way into town and hadn't seen a thing. Just before we were about to cross the bridge into town a damn racoon ran across the road in front of us. I don't think I've ever seen one of those things move that fast!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I had a buddy hit a raccoon on his SV last week...rashed his gear, and he has learned a painful lesson about buying cheap gloves...

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
04Fizzer said:
This weekend was the first time in a long time that I haven't ridden in proper attire. It was shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers just because of the damn heat. I figured road rash would be better than passing out from the heat.
We must agree to disagree. It is hot and humid here 9 months of the year. I still have visible scars on both knees from my unfortunate get off in February at the MSF course. I was wearing jeans at the time and my speed was less than 15 MPH.

·
Registered
153 Posts
04Fizzer said:

Holy bugs batman! I ended up laying on my tank last night on the way home because of all the bugs, and I still had a visor full of the little buggers.

One section of bridge on my commute to work is bug central. I've found the best way to get them off my bike is using dryer sheets, i.e. Bounce, and water. It won't scratch the screen and they come off a lot easier. As for my helmet shield, I spray it with Pledge and they wipe right off with a soft cloth. I know folks who just use the pledge for their bike and their helmet, but to each his own.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
My dad has some aviation plexi window cleaner that I use to clean my visor and shield, works very well, leaves no streaks, gets rid of bugs, fantastic stuff!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oilburner said:
One section of bridge on my commute to work is bug central. I've found the best way to get them off my bike is using dryer sheets, i.e. Bounce, and water. It won't scratch the screen and they come off a lot easier. As for my helmet shield, I spray it with Pledge and they wipe right off with a soft cloth. I know folks who just use the pledge for their bike and their helmet, but to each his own.
On my face shield, I just wet a paper towel and let it sit on the visor for a while, soaking the bugs. Most of them will just wipe off then. Then I use a little soap and water and she's good as new.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
What an honor for those bugs to meet their doom on the windscreen of the greatest bike on the planet! :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I was coming home with a work buddy who has a Harley and we went through a thicket of gnats.
My faceshield was streaked with bugs.
I turned to my Mr Cool buddy on his Harley with a skid lid and shades and his face was plastered with bugs!!
He was a mess lol. :eek:nfloor
Needless to say I laughed my ass off!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maxxacceleration said:
I was coming home with a work buddy who has a Harley and we went through a thicket of gnats.
I turned to my Mr Cool buddy on his Harley with a skid lid and shades and his face was plastered with bugs!!
I'd be laughing at him too!

My dad always had a joke..."How do you tell a happy biker? The bugs in his teeth"

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Maxxacceleration said:
Hope he wasnt smiling or he would have a fun time flossing. But then again, I've never seen a harley guy with a smile on his face... :rolleyes

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
To clean the bugs without scratching your plastic I use microfiber towels and water. You can get the towels in the auto section of Wal-Mart and pick up a spray bottle for the water. No chemicals and it works great. I will occasionally spray Plexus for a nice shine and a coat of protection.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
killernoodle said:
Hope he wasnt smiling or he would have a fun time flossing. But then again, I've never seen a harley guy with a smile on his face... :rolleyes
That's because they're pissed off at all the bugs hitting them in the face.

·
Registered
109 Posts
04Fizzer said:
On my face shield, I just wet a paper towel and let it sit on the visor for a while, soaking the bugs. Most of them will just wipe off then. Then I use a little soap and water and she's good as new.
DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS ON ANY CLEAR PLASTIC (or any plastic for that matter). Paper towels contain wood pulp, they will leave fine scratches, and they will add up over time. Trust me.

Use warm water and a nice very wet sponge, to wet the buggers and re-hydrate their remains on any plastic you are cleaning (windshield, visor, or fairing). Rub very lightly at first, using lots of water (maybe a very small amount of Dawn dishsoap, but be careful dawn will remove wax as well) take your time, and your plastic will look good for a lot longer than using harsh chemicals and papertowels.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kevbelz said:
DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS ON ANY CLEAR PLASTIC (or any plastic for that matter). Paper towels contain wood pulp, they will leave fine scratches, and they will add up over time. Trust me.

Use warm water and a nice very wet sponge, to wet the buggers and re-hydrate their remains on any plastic you are cleaning (windshield, visor, or fairing). Rub very lightly at first, using lots of water (maybe a very small amount of Dawn dishsoap, but be careful dawn will remove wax as well) take your time, and your plastic will look good for a lot longer than using harsh chemicals and papertowels.
I actually try to use the wipes we have here at work. We work with and clean very delicate and expensive (read: some run $300k) optics. I clean my visor as much as possible here, and suck it up at home. Sponge suggestion noted.

·
I like white pants
865 Posts
04Fizzer said:

The bike faired quite well in the heat. The gauge went up to 4 bars a couple times, but I don't think the fan ever turned on.
Why didnt you keep counting????? I had the most bugs this weekend did 1100 miles and the tall windshield was CAKED. . . took a good soaking to rid them.

I do believe that, least on my bike, the fan turns on at 4 bars and stays on a lil after it retreats to 3 bars. I cant hear it with the helmet on but I look down just to see if its working.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts