Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of room and came down kind of hard from a wheelie and I think I might have blown a seal on the shock. It looked kind of wet around the base.

Does it hurt it to run this way?

Thanks

·
old member
13,079 Posts
You'll notice oil leaking from the seal if blown. Eventually all the oil will leak out so, yeah, it needs to be fixed. Probably not a bad idea to replace both seals and change the fork oil.

·
Registered
592 Posts
yeay like ray said you will notice oil comign out and if it drips bad enough it will go all over your front tires and make them slicker than shit so i would recomend if you see it leaking get it changed

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
yup he said it well....change both at the same time and for sure change all the oil

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
it's been my experience that when you blow a fork seal it's not from coming down to hard from a wheelie, but usually because of something on the fork tube wether it be an imperfection or nick....
i've slammed down from wheelies so hard theat i thought i was gonna break my fork tubes but nothing happened...

but - if your seal is leaking - then like everyone said - change 'em both and change the fork oil....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil isn't dripping off the tubes, but the lower right tube was wet, and I assume it should be relatively dry.

Is this something I can do myself. I'm mechanically inclined, but do I need any special tools, etc.? Do I have to remove the forks completely?

Thanks for the responses!

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
yes you need special tool....but you can probably make the tool....

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
just make sure to check your oil height level before you dump the oil....

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd have someone do it. You have to get the fork oil level perfect, and it's a difficult job to do by yourself.. It's fairly cheap too, around $100

1 - 10 of 10 Posts