Sport Bikes banner

How Can I Talk My Girlfriend Into Getting Her Own Bike?

1K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeckyll 
#1 ·
Tired of having your girlfriend riding pillion everytime you want to go for a ride and include her in it? Tired of getting some attitude when you spend all day Sunday riding with your friends while your girlfriend sits at home thinking of how long she is gonna make you beg for sex after leaving her at home to ride the canyons with your friends? Sound familiar?

Too bad getting them on their own bike isn't as easy as getting them on the back of ours.

#2 ·
I talked my wife into taking the MSF course first.. You'll find out real quick if they want to ride themselves or not.
She took the course, and for the couple weeks before and after the course, I talked NOTHING but motorcycles.. When we rode, I explained why I do everything I do (lane position, turning points, ect) over the headsets.. When she came out of the course, she couldnt wait to buy a bike..

#3 ·
Gawd, the last thing I want is to have to wait at every corner, intersection, etc. for her to catch up. Yes, there's women who like to ride fast and are good at it, but I know my girl from attempts at skiing, mountainbiking and being driven in her car and I just wouldn't want to go on rides with her. Much more fun being able to play in the corners even with her on the back seat.

#4 ·
I have a bike for my girl, and she doesnt want to learn to ride. She'd much rather hop on the back of mine. She has no desire to become independent? :dunno I guess when I was starting, if someone simply GAVE me and f3 to ride, I would want to learn. Tried to teach her the other day, she droped it in the parking lot and didnt want to get back on.

#8 ·
When I met my girl she was riding a harley 1200 sporty....she took a ride on a sportbike and now the harley is gone and a 2005 R6 now resides in its place. The girl can ride and I love to ride with her....and yes...I consider myself lucky.

#9 ·
After my girls second time at bike week seeing all the other female riders, my girl wanted to ride her own. Let her ride the GSXR 750, she loved it. Now u can't get her off it

#11 ·
SicR6 said:
Tired of having your girlfriend riding pillion everytime you want to go for a ride and include her in it? Tired of getting some attitude when you spend all day Sunday riding with your friends while your girlfriend sits at home thinking of how long she is gonna make you beg for sex after leaving her at home to ride the canyons with your friends? Sound familiar?

Too bad getting them on their own bike isn't as easy as getting them on the back of ours.
talk her into it? dude. if someone will want to ride they'll make it happen. it comes from within. If they dont want it, theyre damn sure not ready. dont pressure her into something shes not ready for

#12 ·
Punkwood2k said:
shit.. My woman rocks! She rides faster than I like sometimes...
Its like they grew balls overnight.....isnt it?

One day EX250....then BAM!...600cc+ and keeping up to you in the corners

I love it!!!!!!

#13 ·
My wife wanted to ride ever since I met her in '00. She took the MSF course in '01 and ended up getting an '01 Ninja EX250. She still has the bike and rides very well. She pisses my friend off who just got an older FZR600R because she'll ride her's like she stole it and he's such a big pussy she'll beat him down the road. I really need to explain to him that all he needs to do is turn the throttle more than 1/4-open and he'd beat her.

#15 ·
One day I hope to get my girl on her own bike. It's going to take some time though, that's for sure.

#16 ·
From a girls point of view being "talked" into it can actually make you more set against it. The problem isn't dependence but fear, social conditioning and "guys feel darn sexy when you are on the back with your life in their hands and they're all in control and stuff"... forgot what I was gonna say :lao

What helped me decide to learn was meeting other women riders. It made the idea feel less like "I'll be the only girl out there and it will kill me" and more like "heah, I can do that". Also, falling is scary it scares men off bikes so cut her some slack and perhaps make a big point of learning about gear and what it does and then breaking open the wallet with that "it's okay honey, it costs a mint but your safety is what matters" expression.

After the class, if she is still afraid, get her a smaller bike! I am on a 600 but only because it happens to be a bike I felt grounded on. When I was on the mans bike, I felt precarious and I really was. I couldn't get over the fear, but once I had one that felt grounded the fear lessoned a LOT. I also picked my own bike and that made it something I was doing instead of something he was doing for me. It got me excited about riding even more than I already was and helped me own the choice. Sure the f3 seems good to you but maybe it just seems like a big, scary, fast death machine.

If she doesn't want to ride, you can't make her. Some people just don't like to, but if she secretly is harboring a desire that she can't tap presentation can be everything. My BF was smart and didn't snicker when I made him drive 5 miles home to get my gloves so I could bring my bike from the shop when I forgot them. He didn't tell me my helmet was too expensive or that my obsession with leather instead of textiles was bordering on paranoia. He did accept the process I had to go through to feel safer, find a bike that I felt good on instead of a bike that he told me was good enough, he suffered through my whining about the first drop so I could process it and made me pick it up and get back on when I sat in the middle of a street crying. He even kept his snickering to himself my first time on the freeway in the slow lane when the little ol' ladies were honking and passing me. It all helped, I wouldn't be riding or improving so fast if he hadn't done all that. Lots of times riders forget what it is like to be new especially if they were young and fearless when they were new. I would try more patience, erase any negative comments about they're speed etc and give them time to get excited and feel safe to try new things.

just my 2 cents

#17 ·
My hubby doesn't ride, I picked it up on my own. I've been trying to pursuade him by asking him to park my bike (gets him used to the weight/balance) and having him keep an eye out for a 'hobby' bike for me to learn wrenching (which will actually be his, in my plan). It's kind of working. He's figuring out what he likes in a bike, and seems to be deviating from the project bike idea. He keeps pointing out Guzzis and Ducatis. Best of all, he's talking about taking the BRC to get his endorsement, just for fun.

I'm just saying the issues you guys are having with getting your girls to ride might be an effect of the percent of the population that thinks bikes are nuts, not just a gender thing. My guy is no wimp- he plays ice hockey three times a week.

#20 ·
....simple, ya gotta treat her like the pillionslut she is for a day!
Next saturday morn, wake slut up by slapping her around for a few minutes, then grab her by the ear, drag her to the draler and tell her to pick one she likes. Get bike. Tell her if she likes being treated like a slut thats fine. If not tell her to learn to ride so she wont be a slut* *pillionslut* that is :lol

If that don't work, ya best look for another gf cause this one is prolly done wid ya!!! :D

#21 ·
my wife just likes being in the back of my bike, but she did say that she would take the MSF course with me. i'm hoping that she will like it and want to come riding with me. i plan on getting a 250 or 500 for a track bike, so maybe i can sweet talk her into riding. we'll see! like people have said, you gotta take it slow or they'll resist. and if they're not ready, they're not ready. don't push the issue.

#22 ·
martino said:
talk her into it? dude. if someone will want to ride they'll make it happen. it comes from within. If they dont want it, theyre damn sure not ready. dont pressure her into something shes not ready for
+1

There is no point in trying to get someone into a dangerous hobby when they are not wanting to take it up myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.