2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's Included:
  • Upper Fairing
  • Lower Fairing
  • Tail Section
  • Front Fender
  • Dzus Fasteners
Hotbodies does not currently make a windscreen for the 675, so that wasn't included.

Packaging:
Like everyone else has posted thus far, the bodywork was well packed in bubble wrap, which made un-packing much nicer (no packing peanuts to shake everywhere).

The upper fairing came pre-drilled for frame mounting points and the the dzus holes for the lower fairing. The windscreen holes were not pre-drilled. The lower fairing was pre-drilled for the dzus fasteners (also pre-installed) and 2 of the 4 mounting points to the frame. The front fender was also pre-drilled. The tail section was not drilled. Everything was also primed and, short of some sanding, looks like it's ready to be painted.

Front Fender:
The fender bolted right up with no issue at all. I did open up the pre-drilled holes a bit to allow for the button heads to sit better, but that was quick and easy to do.

Upper Fairing:
The upper fairing also mounted right up with no issues at all. Because the upper relies on only two mounting points to the frame, you need to drill the wind screen bolts and use some zip ties to hold it in place until the lower is ready to be mounted. The windscreen dimples lined right up with the stock fairing stay, I was able to drill straight off those marking and have a clean fit.

Lower Fairing:
The lower installed initially quite well. Everything lined up reasonably well with the upper. I drill the rear fairing mounts and secured it with the stock button head. The challenge become fitting the bolt into the front two fairing mounts. When I tried to push a bolt through there, I realized I was having to push the bodywork in more than I liked, which was stressing the fiberglass around the dzus holes. After a few tries, I just decided to leave the bolt out...no harm, no foul here. Everything feels just as secure without the extra bolt; I doubt I'll ever use that mounting point.

Once installed, I noticed the lower was rubbing on the stator cover quite a bit. Further investigation would show that the mold may have been off by about 1/4'' around the cover.

Clearance between the belly pan and rear tire is close...but still plenty there. This has been a complaint of mine on previous bodywork. I was quite happy to see that resolved.

Tail Section:
Up to the point, the install was going quite well. I hit my first, and only, headache with the tail. I drilled the two front mounting points and secured them. But that's it...there's no rear mounting point at all, so the tail just flops around. Other manufacturers use two bolts through the top of the tail section directly into the subframe; Hotbodies does not. I could drill through the top of the tail into the subframe, but the holes would not be supported and thus prone to cracking. One could use zip ties around the subrame from the underside, but there's really not a great spot for that either. I have yet to solve this problem, but I'm working on it. Here's a comparison between the hotbodies tail and my current Catalyst tail:

Final Fitment:
Aside from the unresolved tail section issue, the bodywork mounted up with relative ease, no cutting required. Assuming I can find a good solution for the tail, I'm pretty impressed with the installation.

Further impressions below...

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So now that it's installed, here are my impressions:

Pros:
  • Installation was pretty easy
  • No cutting required
  • Very little pushing and pulled, no swearing whatsoever
  • Once installed, it feels just as solid and secure as other bodywork I've used
  • Pre-drilled holes...made the job quick and easy.
Cons:
  • Tail section fitment...highlighted above
  • I'm a little concerned about the strength of the ears on the upper fairing. I'm noticing cracks already and I haven't even used the stuff yet. NOTE: This is a weak point for all 675 bodywork.
  • No windscreen available...not Hotbodies fault though
  • Fitment around the stator cover...highlighted above
That's all I've got for now. All in all I'm impressed with the bodywork. I've said it a few times, but the installation was easy and it feels solid on the bike. I have a few concerns about its durability in a crash...but honestly I hope I won't be able to address those concerns for a while yet. Due to prior bad experiences, I was not a Hotbodies fan before this set of bodywork...now I would consider buying another set for my 675.

Please feel free to ask questions. I'll be happy to take more pics also.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Sometimes you just have to fabricate (or have fabricated) a bracket for the tails, mainly because removing parts of the rear subframe is a fairly standard modification to save weight.

A bracket made out of regular iron stock should be fairly cheap at a competent bike shop.

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes you just have to fabricate (or have fabricated) a bracket for the tails, mainly because removing parts of the rear subframe is a fairly standard modification to save weight.

A bracket made out of regular iron stock should be fairly cheap at a competent bike shop.
Yep, a bracket will solve the problem, however I am disappointed that all the other manufacturers were able to solve the problem except Hotbodies.

For the record, the intent of the review was to provide more info on Hotbodies bodywork on the WERA board. There's a huge thread over there explaining everything. I just thought I'd pass on the info over here and a couple other boards for those that were interested.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Yep, a bracket will solve the problem, however I am disappointed that all the other manufacturers were able to solve the problem except Hotbodies.

For the record, the intent of the review was to provide more info on Hotbodies bodywork on the WERA board. There's a huge thread over there explaining everything. I just thought I'd pass on the info over here and a couple other boards for those that were interested.
I bought the hotbodies for an old SV FOR the reason that I had to make a bracket, I had chopped off the subframe right behind the seat anyway. After a bit of customizing it looked pretty cool overall.

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the hotbodies for an old SV FOR the reason that I had to make a bracket, I had chopped off the subframe right behind the seat anyway. After a bit of customizing it looked pretty cool overall.
Yup...I did something similar with old GSXR 600. Although it didn't look all that cool because the subframe was twisted before I cut it. The tail ended up being held on more by zip ties than bolts...but it passed tech, which was good enough for me :cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts