Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I installed the power commander, and no I do not have any other engine mods, and i still run the stock cans. It does deliver the power much smoother, really noticeable, at least to me who was used to the bike. But my idle seems rougher than before, and it the engine is hot and I turn it off and try and restart after a minute it does not want to start, it acts as if it has either vapor lock or is flooded. /if I wait 5 minutes the problem does not occur, it is a bit more diffucult to start than when cold but it does start.
Help?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same set up, power commander and stock cans. I have not noticed the problem.

I also can tell a big difference in the midrange power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why not put the zero map in the power commander and see of the problem goes away.

If you don't have acess to a laptop, you can unplug it and get the same effect.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
change

the change has to be from the power comander as it only started today, the day after I added the power commander. I also noticed that the idle dropped th 1000. I upped it to 1200 and the idle seems smoother, we will see about the hot starts.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
It happenned tp me before also...the starter just keeps turning. But I don't have a power commander nor have I experienced it recently. I wonder what it is?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but don't figure it is the power commander because you just added it.

Stranger things have happened, and going to the zero map is a easy way to tell for sure.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
one question for all here: Once you turn the key on do you wait for the fuel pump to finish? I wait a second or two and havent had the problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I always use the kill switch to turn the bike off. When turning the bike on I turn the key and let the electronics do their diag's and then flip the kill switch and wait for the pump to finish its prime before starting the bike. I have never had the problem you mention.
Sounds like vapor lock
Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cavi said:
okay, I installed the power commander, and no I do not have any other engine mods, and i still run the stock cans. It does deliver the power much smoother, really noticeable, at least to me who was used to the bike. But my idle seems rougher than before, and it the engine is hot and I turn it off and try and restart after a minute it does not want to start, it acts as if it has either vapor lock or is flooded. /if I wait 5 minutes the problem does not occur, it is a bit more diffucult to start than when cold but it does start.
Help?
\\

You know, it may just be a bad Power Cammander unit. I would remove it completely and see if the problem goes away, if it does, send it back and get a replacement.
Skippy

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
try

I am going to run it some more and see if the problem persists. If it does I will dissconect the power commander or try the 0 map and see what happens

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think your idle was just too low but keep us posted.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Only time I ever had any kind of engine problem was the one time that I cranked it real fast without letting the diagnostic program to finish. It did not like that at all. Once I shut it off and used the proper proceedure, it ran just like it was suppose to. I haven't had vapor lock or the mysterious fast/slow idle that some have seen. For you, I would first load the zero map, then if that doesn't change anything, disconnect the pc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FAZR6 said:
Only time I ever had any kind of engine problem was the one time that I cranked it real fast without letting the diagnostic program to finish. It did not like that at all. Once I shut it off and used the proper proceedure, it ran just like it was suppose to. I haven't had vapor lock or the mysterious fast/slow idle that some have seen. For you, I would first load the zero map, then if that doesn't change anything, disconnect the pc.

Yeah, whats the scoop on the fast/slow idle? I have ran into that a few times now. I go for a ride and an hour later when I come to a stop the idle drops really low and surges up again. It has only happened to me a few times though. I have 4,400 miles now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, after I got back from my trip, I didn't ride for about a week and a half. Got the bike all cleaned up and all but didn't start it.
Well, on the National Ride to Work day, It wouldn't start.
What exactly is vapor lock/what causes it?? Sorry for my ignorance. Finally got it to start but it was very touchy until I rode it down the road.
I did all the normal things, waited to start it and all.

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
Vapor lock is a term describing a very specific condition but is often used to describe anything that causes a hot engine to not start. TRUE vapor lock is a condition where fuel in the fuel lines vaporizes, forming a gasous bubble in the fuel line that blocks fuel flow. It is generally caused by a poorly routed fuel line that runs too close to hot engine parts. While the engine is running, the flowing fuel is not exposed to the hot areas long enough to vaporize, but once the engine is shut down, the heat causes the fuel remaining in the lines to vaporize, thereby causing the bubble that blocks fuel flow when you try to restart the hot engine. Letting the engine cool will allow the fuel vapor bubble to condense back into liquid and eliminate the problem. Generally, on fuel injected engines, simply turing on the bike's electrical system and allowing the fuel pump to pressurize the system will also force the bubble back into a liquid state.

Hope this helps.
JJ

Next week...the difference between backfiring and afterfiring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.
Sounds like it wasn't my problem though since the engine was not hot.
It had been sitting for almost two weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts