Sport Bikes banner

What type of weather do you prefer riding in?

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we here in Wisconsin have been getting cooked in 85 degree plus temperature for the last week, I got thinking. What type of weather would you rather ride in, too hot or too cold. I myself would rather ride in too cold. You can always dress for the cold.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I don't really know. There are pro's and con's to each. When I ride in the cold, I'm always worried if my tires or the road are warm enough to stick good. But you aren't sweating your brains out in the cold. When riding in the heat, I feel like I can push my tires more because I know they will stick on clean pavement. However, sometimes the heat just drains my will to even get on the bike but when I do most of the time I just cruise. Sometimes I get out on hot days and wreak (sp?) havoc but that's only when I'm dying to ride.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i agree thre are pros and cons of both.... when its like 100+ here its hard to put on a jack and pants and gloves and ahelmet so i dont feel as safe so i dont ride as hard. when its that hot i just put on a helmet and gloves and shoes, no sandals.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Jake said:
As we here in Wisconsin have been getting cooked in 85 degree plus temperature for the last week, I got thinking. What type of weather would you rather ride in, too hot or too cold. I myself would rather ride in too cold. You can always dress for the cold.
Wow. 85 degrees is nothing to complain about here. 70 is better of course :) . Personally, as one who HAS to wear gear or I'm a fraidy cat, I prefer cold cause I can put more on easier than I can take more off.

·
Registered
464 Posts
well..I get plenty of cold out here (nights are still easily below 10^ celsius), so I'd say hands down for warm weather. when I'm cold the only thing I can think about is getting home and warming up. at least the hot can be slightly remedied with a few vents etc.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Trackday VIR= 90F last year. Wiping frost off the seat is macho and everything but I'll take heat. I ride year round and two things I don't like about cold.

1.Doesn't matter how warm I am if it's low 40sF my nose runs and it's annoying. Ends up making ick on my balaclava.
2.Cold tires+cold pavement.

Heat only sucks sitting still. And superhot tires may get greasy but don't let go like cold ones. Chicks wear less when it's hot. Unrelated to the topic but it's my main motivation for loving warm weather.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I like the cold actually. If you get to hot, remove clothes. heat just sucks, 70-80 is nice. It had been like 98 and stuff here.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I'm use to riding in the hot weather, it's usuall 95+ here w/about 90% humidity most of the summer

·
Registered
300 Posts
21 natas said:
I'm use to riding in the hot weather, it's usuall 95+ here w/about 90% humidity most of the summer

I know what that is like too, I used to live in Dallas. Do you wear full gear in that shiat?

·
Where's my bike???
628 Posts
My preference for a perfect day of riding is:

70 - 80 partly cloudy.

Miles of back roads.

A day or more with no rain to get rid of the obstacles & wet corners.

No more than 3 other riders. "Not that I don't like to cruise around with a large group of riders!" Having too many people riding like fire flies is asking for trouble IMO.

As someone said before:

"It only gets too hot when you're not moving."

To answer the question, I'm down to ride whenever, where ever, with whom ever.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Never thought I'd say this (because I'm black) but I prefer the cold to the hot. Like already stated, you can always remove clothing when it gets too hot when you're in the cold. But when its hot like it is now (mid-high 90s), there's nothing you can do but sweat your ass off. And its very distracting when its that hot. Almost dread getting on the bike. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow. 85 degrees is nothing to complain about here.
When you live in wisconsin if its 85 it might as well be 100 either way i sweat my ass off.. The humidity is usually really high also which doesnt help.. So I just stick inside all day. Oh yea id rather ride in TOO COLD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts