Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today and damn near binned it on a straight away! WTF! I managed to run wide on a bloody friggin straight away!
:eek: :2eek: :eek:
So what happened? It's hot, that's what happened. Full gear (leather britches, mesh jacket, etc.) 30 miles on the super slab in 1 bazillion degree heat. Even cranking the AC up close to the ton couldn't relieve the heat (my inner :squid got antsy). Playing in the Glendora mountain twisties and having a blast. Pushing hard enough that I scrapped the sharp corners off of my right peg & exhaust can (I so love my B-12). Finally stopped to drink a bit of water and cool down but I was too late to ward off the effects of dehydration. Got back on the scoot, rounded a few corners, hit a straight section and got target locked on the "cars blocking snowplow will be towed" (yeah right, snow plows in SoCal). Next thing you know I'm riding through the dirt muttering angry things at myself.

Dehydration sucks!!!!! It makes you slow and stupid and damn near put me on the ground today.

Be extra careful with the heat out there and Drink Water, Drink Water, Drink Water!!!
 

·
I own license2ill
Joined
·
5,679 Posts
Good advice. Some thing not alot of peeps think about untill it's to late. Rember if you are thirsty it's already kicking in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
how hot does it get in California
 

·
No limit hypocrite
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
wow dude.. thats CRAZY!
I had another rider a while back on another board tell an equally scary story..

Hot as hell, full gear.. He was riding the highway, and all of a sudden, BOTH eyes slam shut with huge amounts of pain.. He could only open one eye a slit, and guided his bike off the highway, tore his helmet off, and his wife (on another bike), started dumping their water in his eyes.. Turns out that his sunscreen, combined with the heat, and relative enclosed space of his helmet, allowed the sunscreen to start vaporizing, and temporarily blinded him..
As if Cars arent enought to worry about....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,759 Posts
Man Punk, that sounds scary as hell. GLad it wasn't any worse man. Make sure to always keep drinking especially with full gear on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SnookayDCC said:
how hot does it get in California
In the Greater Metropolitan Hell Pit that is the Los Angeles Basin :pisson
80+ on the beach
90+ 10 miles inland
100+ 20 miles inland
110+ 50 miles inland
up to 120 in the deserts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Punkwood2k said:
wow dude.. thats CRAZY!
I had another rider a while back on another board tell an equally scary story..

Hot as hell, full gear.. He was riding the highway, and all of a sudden, BOTH eyes slam shut with huge amounts of pain.. He could only open one eye a slit, and guided his bike off the highway, tore his helmet off, and his wife (on another bike), started dumping their water in his eyes.. Turns out that his sunscreen, combined with the heat, and relative enclosed space of his helmet, allowed the sunscreen to start vaporizing, and temporarily blinded him..
As if Cars arent enought to worry about....
I once met a motorcop who was cruising on the super slab and caught a golf ball from the freeway side golf course with his glasses. He managed to ride it out and make it to the ER under his own power. Talk about a shiner!
 

·
No limit hypocrite
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
Hey, does anyone run with a Camelback, or something similiar to it when they ride?? I've always thought about it, but never tried it.. Would probably help with the dehydration thing.. Especially since I know that when I am into the twisties, I come out of them tired and thirsty as hell, but never even noticed it while I was riding. Too much adrenaline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
yeah tell me about it here in idaho it was 105 in a few places i was riding i damn near drink a quart of gatorade a day to keep from being dopeish just sitting in traffic i felt like i was gonna earl the other day got a huge nasty cloud of desil from the truck next to me. its nicer in the twisties around 84 or so.
 

·
They call me a ride whore
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Hey, does anyone run with a Camelback, or something similiar to it when they ride?? I've always thought about it, but never tried it.. Would probably help with the dehydration thing.. Especially since I know that when I am into the twisties, I come out of them tired and thirsty as hell, but never even noticed it while I was riding. Too much adrenaline.
I just got my Camelbak today! :D The "Hydrobak" model to be exact. It isn't very big (50oz... 1.5 liter), but it should be enough to last between gas stops. Looks like I will probably be doing this trip from south Florida to South Carolina in a couple weeks, and figured it would probably be a good idea to buy one of these to take along.



But yea, when it's hot dehydration is nothing to play around with! That heat will kill ya if your not careful, and do drink plenty of WATER, not juice or soda... water
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
I ride with one for longer trips. They are great. kinda wierd with the helmet and the angled bite piece, but it works... Totally awesome when you are sitting at a stop light, and want a drink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
how hot does it get in California
107 here on Sunday. Riding around in leathers really blows when it's that friggin hot.
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
banditoverde said:
In the Greater Metropolitan Hell Pit that is the Los Angeles Basin :pisson
80+ on the beach
90+ 10 miles inland
100+ 20 miles inland
110+ 50 miles inland
up to 120 in the deserts
Subtract about 10-15 degrees from those numbers for most of Northern CA (except Vacaville :) ). Supposed to be around 90-100 inland around here today. Leather or mesh is the question of the day especially if one heads toward the coast. 30-40 degree temp differentials aren't unusual between the coast and 30-40 miles inland.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
RayOSV said:
Subtract about 10-15 degrees from those numbers for most of Northern CA (except Vacaville :) ). Supposed to be around 90-100 inland around here today. Leather or mesh is the question of the day especially if one heads toward the coast. 30-40 degree temp differentials aren't unusual between the coast and 30-40 miles inland.
Yeah, Vacaville gets hot as fuck. I mowed my big ass lawn this morning at about nine, and it was hot as hell. I was sweating my friggin balls off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
yeah well i drink almost 2 gallons of water per day, so my problem is having to tell everyone "we've got to stop....again" and they know i gotta pee. :eek:nfloor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nik_z said:
yeah well i drink almost 2 gallons of water per day, so my problem is having to tell everyone "we've got to stop....again" and they know i gotta pee. :eek:nfloor
Just wear full leathers. You'll sweat so much you don't have to pee :bitchslap :pisson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Hey, does anyone run with a Camelback, or something similiar to it when they ride?? I've always thought about it, but never tried it.. Would probably help with the dehydration thing.. Especially since I know that when I am into the twisties, I come out of them tired and thirsty as hell, but never even noticed it while I was riding. Too much adrenaline.
Friend I ride with does, seems like it would come in handy. Although I've never seen him actually USE it! Most rides I'm on take a break every 150-200 miles or so on longer rides, more often if it's hotter out to get hydrated.

Great example of why staying hydrated is important - if you get thirsty, that's not a dehydration warning, it means you already are. Stay safe...
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top