Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Sad, RIP. The real issue is how quickly a liter bike can get up to 100+ speeds. It can be deceptive until you learn to gauge how fast things are coming up that you don't want to hit.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
My point is that anecdotes regarding speed are not specific to liter bikes. Virtually all motorcycle accidents happen at speeds achievable by all 500cc+ fully faired sportbikes.

Examples of the dangers of liter bikes center around acceleration and throttle response, not speed. Inadvertently looping the bike, spinning up the rear wheel in some cases, rapid acceleration resulting in speed differentials to traffic - *those* are examples of why not to start with liter bikes.

The example cited has none of those elements. All it says, in summary, is that someone decided to ride down an expressway at 100mph+ and ran into a tree. Not only could that happen on a wide variety of motorcycles, but it's likely that the same effect would have resulted if he were going, say, 85mph - bringing even a broader spectrum of bikes into play.

That doesn't make starting on a SS liter bike any better an idea; but if you're trying to convince people by using an example, it should be one that strengthens your position. This example doesn't strengthen the position, it weakens it.

KeS

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sad story.. lessons to be learned.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
I read the comment on the article, and there was an interesting point....it was to the tune of...

It's possible he wasn't intending to speed. one quick twitch of the wrist can put you from 50mph to 80mph...and in an attempt to reposition your body to get back up towards the tank, well there goes 100mph...

However those aren't my thoughts only relaying thoughts of another person...it could be possible that that is what happened.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You know what I don't understand? Is how so many people won't take the advice of professional riders. Most people here who post advice have driven for an excess of 10 years, which totally pwns the crap out of the knowledge that people like me have: none.
I've never ridden a motorcycle on the streets, the only riding I've ever done is at the training course, and on a dirt bike out in a small sand pit... I'm nervous as hell for the time when I get a motorcycle, I don't want to get something that I can't deal with. I want something that will be forgiving, something that doesn't increase my chances of getting into an accident by tenfold.
How hard is it for people to realize this? Already I've read a couple topics on people arguing that they want a 600cc+ SS... And there's been a few people recommending it... Yet they all know that buying a SS has so many extra dangers added into it... But for some odd reason, which I can't understand, they still want to purchase one... Another thing that I don't understand is the reasoning they use: "I'll get bored of a 500cc after a few months, or a year"
Um... I'm pretty sure that a 500cc maxes out at, what, 170mph? Which is something like 275km/h... That's WAY faster than most cars are clocked out at... and a motorcycle is WAY more dangerous going at high speeds, and at low speeds... Why throw in extra dangers if you don't have to?
Do you seriously need anything more than, or even close to, 0-60mph in less than 6 seconds? How many people here have ever maxed out a 500cc sport bike? I know I don't plan on it, ever, when I get my Ninja.
Even before I found this site (2 days ago) I said that I wouldn't get anything b***** than a 500cc bike, something a little smaller if I could find one. I was hoping for more of a 450cc, but I can't find any, and Kawi Ninja's are pretty popular, so I figured I'd go for one of those.
If someone can give me a decent argument towards this... I'd be VERY impressed, since I can't think of any reason why someone would want to start off on a beast that could take your head off (and other body parts) after accelerating for 1.2 seconds...
Please, argue my point :)

- Jesse

·
old member
13,079 Posts
You know what I don't understand? Is how so many people won't take the advice of professional riders. Most people here who post advice have driven for an excess of 10 years, which totally pwns the crap out of the knowledge that people like me have: none.
I've never ridden a motorcycle on the streets, the only riding I've ever done is at the training course, and on a dirt bike out in a small sand pit... I'm nervous as hell for the time when I get a motorcycle, I don't want to get something that I can't deal with. I want something that will be forgiving, something that doesn't increase my chances of getting into an accident by tenfold.
How hard is it for people to realize this? Already I've read a couple topics on people arguing that they want a 600cc+ SS... And there's been a few people recommending it... Yet they all know that buying a SS has so many extra dangers added into it... But for some odd reason, which I can't understand, they still want to purchase one... Another thing that I don't understand is the reasoning they use: "I'll get bored of a 500cc after a few months, or a year"
Um... I'm pretty sure that a 500cc maxes out at, what, 170mph? Which is something like 275km/h... That's WAY faster than most cars are clocked out at... and a motorcycle is WAY more dangerous going at high speeds, and at low speeds... Why throw in extra dangers if you don't have to?
Do you seriously need anything more than, or even close to, 0-60mph in less than 6 seconds? How many people here have ever maxed out a 500cc sport bike? I know I don't plan on it, ever, when I get my Ninja.
Even before I found this site (2 days ago) I said that I wouldn't get anything b***** than a 500cc bike, something a little smaller if I could find one. I was hoping for more of a 450cc, but I can't find any, and Kawi Ninja's are pretty popular, so I figured I'd go for one of those.
If someone can give me a decent argument towards this... I'd be VERY impressed, since I can't think of any reason why someone would want to start off on a beast that could take your head off (and other body parts) after accelerating for 1.2 seconds...
Please, argue my point :)

- Jesse
You pretty much nailed it except for the Ninja 500 to speed. It's probably more like 100-110 mph maybe. Most 600's will do 160, however. A 500 will out-accelerate almost all cars on the road as well.

You're the type of new rider who will learn well on a smaller bike, progress quickly, and have a long, happy life of motorcycling.

·
is a loser.
227 Posts
<<< this is my first bike. So far so good. I'm not an idiot and have a shit ton of self control. Not saying that justifies me starting out on a 919cc bike, but hey...I wanted a bike and this was the only used one I could find for my budget. I've never dropped it or even came close. I've NEVER had the rear tire loose, and I wouldn't think about going 5-10 over the speed limit(only do that in my cage). Never thought about wheelies or stuntin it or anything like that(although I hear they kick ass for stunters:boink) Rode it around the dealers parking lot for an hour and took it home. First time on a street bike. Yeah, i'll admit i definitely should've started smaller, but i'm doing just fine.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
when I came here I was planning on getting a big standard - FZ-1 or Bandit 1250. I listened, I researched, I evaluated and got the Ninja 650R - or I will be getting it tomorrow. I watched a youtube video the other day of a 'busa racing either a TL100R or an SV1000S (can't remember which), and these guys were going from 60-100 (camera was on one of their speedos) and back down to 60 in what felt like less than a second. An inexperienced rider on a 1000CC SS bike, accidentally giving the bike too much juice could easily in my estimation accidentally go from 40-100 in a couple of seconds and have absolutely no control over the bike.

listen to the voices of experience, not the testosterone pumping through your veins.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
<<< this is my first bike. So far so good. I'm not an idiot and have a shit ton of self control. Not saying that justifies me starting out on a 919cc bike, but hey...I wanted a bike and this was the only used one I could find for my budget. I've never dropped it or even came close. I've NEVER had the rear tire loose, and I wouldn't think about going 5-10 over the speed limit(only do that in my cage). Never thought about wheelies or stuntin it or anything like that(although I hear they kick ass for stunters:boink) Rode it around the dealers parking lot for an hour and took it home. First time on a street bike. Yeah, i'll admit i definitely should've started smaller, but i'm doing just fine.
How many miles you up to? Just wondering.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
Probably b/c you're still scared of the bike and being on the road with cars....

As long as you're in that phase and no quirks occur yeah you'll be "EXTRA CAUTIOUS". However, the stage that you have to be careful about is when you start feeling confident in your bike, and your abilites. That's when you start doing things that your skills are not prepared for and the true power of your bike can overwhelm you...

...and to the other poster. A 500cc won't top out at 170mph....600's don't even top at 170mph.

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
A 24-year-old man who had received his motorcycle learner's permit only five days earlier
CALLING DARWIN, DR. DARWIN!
5 days and he throws the dam thing? Freaking moron!

Yeah you can kill your self on a 500! Hell you can do a darn good job killing your self on a 200!

I started off on an 87 VFR 700, the power of a 500 and the weight of a 1500. drooped it? Sure! In font of the garage, in front of the restaurant at a stop sign i missed. Then I sort of lost my mind and picked up a 1100 GPZ....did I drop it? I damn near killed my self!
In a straight line never the less! Grabbed the front brakes too hard and wooo hooo air time!
I'm lucky I'm not dead! Thank god for my gear!

Long story short, if you have a good mentor you can start on a 600CC bike. I had a good mentor and thus was able to really ride that VFR! But if you don't have a good mentor and are prone to squidishness then well, stay way from the 600's your first year or two. Then if you survive the payments and the ride then pick up a 600 and use that 500 you have to train your friends.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
how many miles do you have? The problem is not self control though. Self control does nothing when you crank the throttle too hard due to inexperience....

and 1 hour in the dealers lot and you ride it home....wow......

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Let us know when you wreck it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I feel there should be some sort of certification for ss riders given by ss riders...I feel it would make owning and riding a ss more enjoyable and safer. Just my 2 cents, but I will say I bought my bike from a young guy who got the shit scared out of him buy his new bike.

RIP...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I feel there should be some sort of certification for ss riders given by ss riders...I feel it would make owning and riding a ss more enjoyable and safer. Just my 2 cents, but I will say I bought my bike from a young guy who got the shit scared out of him buy his new bike.

RIP...
while I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that noobs or even some experience, but "not enough" shouldn't be riding SS bikes, I don't want the government making the decision. Do you? Really??? If it was up the government they'd probably just ban the damn things. But they fear a revolt.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts