Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this bike up yesterday, a 2004 Honda CBR600RR. Considering all of the mods I believe I got a pretty decent deal at $2,100. The bike has never been on the road, it was purchased new with the intention of turning it into a track bike so it has never had a title. I did check this and had a state cop friend of mine verify it as well.

Vortex Clip ons
Sliders - need replaced
Stainless brake lines
Chain / sprockets
Spools - need replaced
Shorai Lithium Battery
Jardine Headers
Micron slip on
Sharkskinz fairings
Ohlins rear shock
Ohlins fork internals
Ohlins steering damper
K&N filter

Only thing it has to have is a new windshield, the previous owner dropped something on it a couple of days before I picked it up. I haven't decided if I am going to replace the rearsets or leave the "custom" ones on there. I also plan on replacing the sliders. I believe they are Shogun but I am not sure, can anyone verify? I would like to go with the same ones again since these seem to do the job.

Now for the pictures.

·
Registered
787 Posts
the rearsets look very unsafe and you might want to refresh the suspension and brakes if the PO has not done so recently.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rearsets look very unsafe and you might want to refresh the suspension and brakes if the PO has not done so recently.
Thanks. Brake fluid is new but I will probably go ahead and replace it before a track day. I have no idea how to refresh the suspension. :(

I'll probably go with some Chinese rearsets off of ebay. Don't really have the extra cash laying around for Vortex right now.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just sent a text to the previous owner, said the suspension felt really good to him the last time he was on it. So, I'll probably try it once before I do anything to it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Regardless of condition, you're gonna wanna get it set up for your weight, unless you're super lucky like I was and the guy you bought it from weighs exactly the same as you.
Hoping to be able to do that at the track. I'll try to rough it but I'll pay someone there to get it right.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Did it wimper when following? Or did you coax it with a VP racing gas can? :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did it wimper when following? Or did you coax it with a VP racing gas can? :D
It was so sad I just couldn't say no. It looked at me the exact same way my two rat terriers did the first time I saw them. Setting there off to the side surrounded by supermoto bikes. You could tell how sad it was, rejected by it's owner, made fun of by the other bikes for being a bit different. As soon as it revved up those first couple if times I knew it was all over. I tried to say no, honest I did.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Nice pickup! I wish I'd given the '03 RR trackbike I had for a little bit more of a chance. It really was a good bike, I just mentally psyched myself out of it by comparing it to/trying to ride it like the Duc.

+1 on replacing the rearsets. Deals can be had on either CBR forums or WERA/NESBA/etc classifieds. Some gems are literally "FS: '05 600RR Woodcraft rearsets--Used twice and lowsided. Scratched on footpeg. $75"

Winter upgrades and/or track/race bike part outs give the rest of us some ridiculously insane deals if you can deal with cosmetic issues....which can be "fixed" with a Sharpie more times than not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
nice one, like you say has the goodies on already so will save on the $$$
just take the rearsets off and get them powdercoated as it just looks like surface rust on them, they look strong and strong is good for the track

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice one, like you say has the goodies on already so will save on the $$$
just take the rearsets off and get them powdercoated as it just looks like surface rust on them, they look strong and strong is good for the track
Thanks. At the track do they not require heel guards on the rearsets?

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Thanks. At the track do they not require heel guards on the rearsets?
I've never seen them "require" them, at least down here. Not like they matter much, my feet are so long that I can't even lock in on them that well.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
All my heel guards do is hook on a part of my boot. Get in the way more than anything.
It's scary as fuck when that happens just before a corner. My girlfriend high sided on my cbr125 at the gokart track when it happened earlier this year.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know if it is because the previous owner didn't do enough coats of plasti dip or if it is because of it being done over primer but I am having one hell of a time removing it. Spent about three or four hours so far.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been playing around removing some more plastidip. Only thing I have left is the upper fairing. I also order $100 or so worth of plastidip today.

First thing I did was turn the steering damper around the right way.

Next, removed some plastic and started peeling.

I was kind of happy to find the Sharkskinz logo. It's nice to know it has quality plastics.

I also checked out the air filter. Happy to say it is a K&N and it looks great. However, I noticed that for some reason the ram air plumbing is missing. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Because it's a track bike? Mine didn't have that either. Zero fcks given.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts