Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
y the hell are hondas so expensive, while flippin through the local cycle trader, i've noticed they are 1-2 grand higher than their counter parts

·
Registered
152 Posts
fit & finish & RELIABILITY, kinda like their cars. and when push comes to shove, Honda technology dominates Motogp. plus, 2 of the 3 yrs the sp-1/2 went against the duc in world superbike, it won the world title. remember 2002? honda won motoggp, world superbike, ama superbike. in only it's 1st year, the 1000rr and its 2nd & 3rd in the ama superbike series. plus it's 2nd place in world superbike standings w/only partial, maybe even no factory support. (against the full factory ducatis) other than ama, suzuki technology sucks everywhere else in the world. they make their showroom bikes really good but when rules are opened up, they can't even hold a candle to yamaha and honda. when i buy a product, i like to know that the manufacturer puts effort into the product. but that's my opinion. btw, other than ferrari as 1st & 2nd in the driver's championship in F1, jensen button is the 1st non-ferrari in the championship, driving a honda!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
NoChickenStrips said:
fit & finish & RELIABILITY, kinda like their cars. and when push comes to shove, Honda technology dominates Motogp. plus, 2 of the 3 yrs the sp-1/2 went against the duc in world superbike, it won the world title. remember 2002? honda won motoggp, world superbike, ama superbike. in only it's 1st year, the 1000rr and its 2nd & 3rd in the ama superbike series. plus it's 2nd place in world superbike standings w/only partial, maybe even no factory support. (against the full factory ducatis) other than ama, suzuki technology sucks everywhere else in the world. they make their showroom bikes really good but when rules are opened up, they can't even hold a candle to yamaha and honda. when i buy a product, i like to know that the manufacturer puts effort into the product. but that's my opinion. btw, other than ferrari as 1st & 2nd in the driver's championship in F1, jensen button is the 1st non-ferrari in the championship, driving a honda!!!
That's what I was gonna say
:lol Man, hard to argue with that. I drive a 2002 954, I've got 25,500 miles on that fooker. Had two track days this spring around 22,000 miles. The thing was running like a champ. And it crashes VERY WELL. Very little damage on the low sides I've had through the years. Been able to pick it up and drive if off right after each crash. That alone makes it a winner in my book. Built strong, lasts long.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's just perception about honda.
They are overpriced because people are willing to pay that.
You'll find just as many yamaha/suzuki/kawi owners that swear by their bikes reliability.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
50k on my honda. reg/rectifier went bad, ft wheel bearings, other then that nothing . 5-6 trackdays, 1 crash

mainly its the fit and finish is better then most.

·
Registered
558 Posts
RACER X said:
50k on my honda. reg/rectifier went bad
Isn't that a VFR specific issue though? I have 25k on my 98 and it hasn't been an issue but ALOT of people I talk to with 5th gen vfr's have run into this problem.. haven't really heard about the issue on any other hondas.. but then again I don't read up on other hondas as much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am a big fan of Honda, but with the price problem...I always think about Suzuki products.....should I get a Suzuki instead of a Honda to save money for insurance instead..

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
They match up to there counterparts, and are more comfortable too! Try a GSXR, an R6/R1, and a CBR and tell me which you would want to ride all day! Honda has got the comfort thing down man!

·
Registered
558 Posts
fzr1rider said:
They match up to there counterparts, and are more comfortable too! Try a GSXR, an R6/R1, and a CBR and tell me which you would want to ride all day! Honda has got the comfort thing down man!
Alot of hondas seats are like plywood though.. get anything with an RR and your pretty much sitting on a 1/2 inch sheet of foam.. Honda is more considerate to the rider when designing their ergos, and a corbin does help, but their stock seats are like riding a mechanical bull..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Neverlose said:
Isn't that a VFR specific issue though? I have 25k on my 98 and it hasn't been an issue but ALOT of people I talk to with 5th gen vfr's have run into this problem.. haven't really heard about the issue on any other hondas.. but then again I don't read up on other hondas as much.

nope not a VFR specific common with the older Reg/rec styale a s they didnt have cooling fins and heat would destroy them...newer ones are more reliable from what i have seen

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i'm not complaining. i've spent less then $150 in "bad" parts over the life of the bike....so no worries from me.

having owned a zx-6r as well, w/ exposed wiring and open panels and what not the honda's are more polished and completed. where the other makes are not as "complete" IMO

·
Registered
454 Posts
RACER X said:
w/ exposed wiring and open panels and what not
very true. there is a new 04 gsxr 600 as well as an 04 gsxr 750 on campus, and I was shocked to see that between the tank and the frame you can see wires and stuff! The fit and finish on Hondas is exceptional.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Delta said:
y the hell are hondas so expensive, while flippin through the local cycle trader, i've noticed they are 1-2 grand higher than their counter parts
Because honda is better than their competitors... that is all that needs to be said

·
Registered
459 Posts
dmk said:
It's just perception about honda.
They are overpriced because people are willing to pay that.
You'll find just as many yamaha/suzuki/kawi owners that swear by their bikes reliability.
Everyone is going to swear by their bike especailly if they haven't ridden anything else. I rode a 98 gixxer, a 03 r6, and a 95 f3 before I got my bike. I liked the f3 the most so I decided to buy a honda. This is without knowing anything about bikes. I just liked the comfort, how it shifted smooth and the overall feeling when I was riding it. And everyone can swear by reliablitiy, but when I was looking for a bike, the Hondas drove as good as new compared to the other bikes I drove and these are all bike made between 90-95

·
Registered
152 Posts
as you can tell by my 1st reply, i'm a honda nut. but if you're looking for straight street cred...the r1 & zx-10 are damn nice. but i wouldnt expect it to be in as good of shape as the 1000rr after 15000 miles. if you don't plan to keep one that long, i'd easily go for another yamaha.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Why did you compare honda's bikes to cars? Honda's fit and finish on cars is absolute shit man. Reliable does not equal high fit and finish. my friends civic's rattle like there about to fall apart. They don't do it, but they sure sound like they want to. Cheap plastic interior, shitty ergos, ugh..i hate honda cars. But their bikes are pure sex.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Percieved value.
Last I checked, most of what happens in racing doesn't mean a damn thing for the "rest of us."
Reliabilty? Every Honda starts CCT rattles at 8k, you can practically set your watch by it.
As for the wiring beef, honda just wraps it in electrical tape or some cover, who cares?

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont plan on racing.....so is it worth the extra dough?... i mean for 1400 less a suzuki seems pretty cheap

1 - 20 of 34 Posts