Sport Bikes banner

Honda CBR600RR or Suzuki GSX-R600?

1K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  mikem317 
#1 ·
I'm still a newbie and just picked up a Ninja 500 to learn on. But after I get comfortable on the 500, I plan to get a new 600cc. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the CBR600RR or the Gixxer 600.

I most likely won't get a chance to really test ride either, so I am going to have to go by input and suggestions of others. So basically, can people pitch in with their pros and cons of each and/or why I should choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I'm not too crazy about the looks of the Yamaha lately. I used to love the R6, but everyone around here and their neighbor seems to have one.

I liked the Honda for a while. Love the overall look and the red and black color. Plus I trust Honda's reliability. The Gixxer was a newer interest.

Not too crazy about the Ninja 600's colors.

By the way, I like red.

#7 ·
If you just picked up the 500, then why are you even worrying about what bike to get next? Concentrate on the 500 and have fun!

By the time you're ready to upgrade, Suzuki and Honda will both have all new 600's so any opinions on the current models won't even matter.

#8 ·
the looks are with the honda.. I hear, and this is just hearsay here, that their powerband is a little whacky, and somewhat lacking power until you get into the higher ranges of the powerband..And this I have heard applies to the 600RR.. Two of my friends ride them, they both say the same thing..

#9 · (Edited)
Assuming I get proficient enough on the 500, I am thinking about going for an 2005 model at the end of this year. From what I hear, you can get better deals then, especially as they are bringing in the new model year. Just planning ahead I guess. That's just in my nature. I waited close to 3 years for a gun once :)

I did hear about the powerband issue with the RRs. Maybe that could actually be a good thing for someone new to 600s. My guess is it'll prevent you from big leaps in power unless you really want to crank the throttle open?

#10 ·
Was just wondering. I like the Honda's myself (red is nice :lol ) I'd still go with the Ninja 636 (they have a killer blue better than yamahas blue IMHO) but Im a little biased. Of those two the Honda is what I'd pic hands down. Where I live there are 10 gsxr's to every 1 sportbike and I heard the latest 600rr is a great improvement over the older 600rr's.

+1 on enjoying the 500. No rushing into things.

#16 ·
shamster said:
I did hear about the powerband issue with the RRs. Maybe that could actually be a good thing for someone new to 600s. My guess is it'll prevent you from big leaps in power unless you really want to crank the throttle open?
Well, it is a 600. they're pretty much all like that. That is one thing i like about my bike, though. i can cruise around at low rpms without having to extremely precise with the throttle.

and people always complain about the seats on the hondas. If you spend thousands on a new bike, you can spend the extra $200 for a corbin or something. its not a big deal.

#18 ·
stangszx9r said:
a buddy of mine has a 05 cbr600rr and the seat is like sitting on a board... plus.. the bike has no balls until high rpms.... why not check into the kawasaki zx6r???
This is only a half-truth. The CBR has a huge surge at 5500 RPM all the way to redline. Which is ~15,000. So I wouldn't call it "high RPM's." With that said it's a slug off-idle.

#19 ·
"Assuming I get proficient enough on the 500, I am thinking about going for an 2005 model at the end of this year."

U planning on doing 10k+ miles this season, the MSF, ERC, and a track school or two to be proficient in handling a 600 without limiting your learning curve as a new rider which is generally served better on a smaller bike like the EX?

#20 ·
I've done 10k miles this season, a few track days, etc - that aint no thang!

That said, all bets are off with reliability, etc - get the bike that fits you. Personally, I love the gixxer powerband, smooth, broad, etc. If Suzuki didn't pay so well, I'd ride a R6 race bike though.... For the street, I think you can be the fastest on a gixxer as it may require less rider input and attention to powerband.

I've never ridden a 600rr though - so if the powerband only sucks below 5500, you really should never be under 5500 rpm. However, when do you see 600rr's winning races in ama?

#21 ·
picking a particular 600cc because of supposed reliability shouldnt be a consideration. every big 4 bike in the main classes (600, liter) is going to be as close as you can get as far as reliability is concerned. The only thing you should be worrying about is...how does it feel when I sit on it?

The power will be virtually the same, reliability will be nearly identical. Just go to the dealer and sit on each one for a half hour. Move to different positions, tucked, sitting up. Do you feel like you're sitting on the bike or in it, and which do you prefer? And of course the looks and color of the bike are important for individuality. I would try out all of them and take your time, dont narrow it down before you've evaluated them all. dont forget triumph has a nice 650cc supersport that looks pretty good too, you may like it.

#24 ·
sosl0w said:
Honda's seat is like sitting on metal no matter what you do. My buddy had a 600rr and got the corbin seat to replace it. Was still hard as a rock lol.
Hard as a rock, but more ergonomically correct.

Honda will have prob. a higher resale value either in private sale or trade-in. Consensus is that Honda is more reliable but I'd love to hear insight from a mechanic on that topic. +1 on the fact that everybody and their brother has an R6 or Gixxer 600.

IMO, check out the ergos, they're very similar in performance and looks (except the questionable design on the front fairing on the Gixxer, specifically the headlight). I'd get the Honda, but I'm a little biased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.