Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a newbie and just picked up a Ninja 500 to learn on. But after I get comfortable on the 500, I plan to get a new 600cc. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the CBR600RR or the Gixxer 600.

I most likely won't get a chance to really test ride either, so I am going to have to go by input and suggestions of others. So basically, can people pitch in with their pros and cons of each and/or why I should choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
597 Posts
why did you pick those two. Just curious. Everyone and their mother rides a GSXR. Honda is way more expensive. Why those two?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too crazy about the looks of the Yamaha lately. I used to love the R6, but everyone around here and their neighbor seems to have one.

I liked the Honda for a while. Love the overall look and the red and black color. Plus I trust Honda's reliability. The Gixxer was a newer interest.

Not too crazy about the Ninja 600's colors.

By the way, I like red.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
i would go with the cbr if you can afford it, hondas are known for their great motors that last forever, you also get the benefeit of a better resale value, when you buy a new one some day.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an 04 GSXR and love the bike, but I must say I really like the looks of CBR's theyre just so nice looking plus a lot more rare compared to GSXR's.

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
If you just picked up the 500, then why are you even worrying about what bike to get next? Concentrate on the 500 and have fun!

By the time you're ready to upgrade, Suzuki and Honda will both have all new 600's so any opinions on the current models won't even matter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
the looks are with the honda.. I hear, and this is just hearsay here, that their powerband is a little whacky, and somewhat lacking power until you get into the higher ranges of the powerband..And this I have heard applies to the 600RR.. Two of my friends ride them, they both say the same thing..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Assuming I get proficient enough on the 500, I am thinking about going for an 2005 model at the end of this year. From what I hear, you can get better deals then, especially as they are bringing in the new model year. Just planning ahead I guess. That's just in my nature. I waited close to 3 years for a gun once :)

I did hear about the powerband issue with the RRs. Maybe that could actually be a good thing for someone new to 600s. My guess is it'll prevent you from big leaps in power unless you really want to crank the throttle open?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Was just wondering. I like the Honda's myself (red is nice :lol ) I'd still go with the Ninja 636 (they have a killer blue better than yamahas blue IMHO) but Im a little biased. Of those two the Honda is what I'd pic hands down. Where I live there are 10 gsxr's to every 1 sportbike and I heard the latest 600rr is a great improvement over the older 600rr's.

+1 on enjoying the 500. No rushing into things.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
can't go wrong w/either in my opinion

·
Registered
22 Posts
a buddy of mine has a 05 cbr600rr and the seat is like sitting on a board... plus.. the bike has no balls until high rpms.... why not check into the kawasaki zx6r???

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
shamster said:
I did hear about the powerband issue with the RRs. Maybe that could actually be a good thing for someone new to 600s. My guess is it'll prevent you from big leaps in power unless you really want to crank the throttle open?
Well, it is a 600. they're pretty much all like that. That is one thing i like about my bike, though. i can cruise around at low rpms without having to extremely precise with the throttle.

and people always complain about the seats on the hondas. If you spend thousands on a new bike, you can spend the extra $200 for a corbin or something. its not a big deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda's seat is like sitting on metal no matter what you do. My buddy had a 600rr and got the corbin seat to replace it. Was still hard as a rock lol.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
stangszx9r said:
a buddy of mine has a 05 cbr600rr and the seat is like sitting on a board... plus.. the bike has no balls until high rpms.... why not check into the kawasaki zx6r???
This is only a half-truth. The CBR has a huge surge at 5500 RPM all the way to redline. Which is ~15,000. So I wouldn't call it "high RPM's." With that said it's a slug off-idle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"Assuming I get proficient enough on the 500, I am thinking about going for an 2005 model at the end of this year."

U planning on doing 10k+ miles this season, the MSF, ERC, and a track school or two to be proficient in handling a 600 without limiting your learning curve as a new rider which is generally served better on a smaller bike like the EX?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've done 10k miles this season, a few track days, etc - that aint no thang!

That said, all bets are off with reliability, etc - get the bike that fits you. Personally, I love the gixxer powerband, smooth, broad, etc. If Suzuki didn't pay so well, I'd ride a R6 race bike though.... For the street, I think you can be the fastest on a gixxer as it may require less rider input and attention to powerband.

I've never ridden a 600rr though - so if the powerband only sucks below 5500, you really should never be under 5500 rpm. However, when do you see 600rr's winning races in ama?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts