Sport Bikes banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Balance & sight problems no longer an issue as Bostrom doubles up with Superbike/Formula Xtreme wins at legendary Laguna Seca course

Ben Bostrom broke out of what he considered a series-long slump this past weekend, capturing wins for American Honda in both the AMA’s Superbike and Formula Xtreme classes on Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca’s highly challenging road course.

Bostrom, who’s been suffering from some balance and sight problems the entire year due to an inner ear infection, piloted his Honda CBR1000RR better than he had all season, en-route to the double victory. The fan-favorite rider said that his successful effort was long overdue for his main sponsor, American Honda.

“Lately I’ve been bummed, feeling that I was letting Honda down and my teammates that surround me,” said Bostrom. “I’ve felt this way all season, but wasn’t able to do anything about it because of what I was dealing with.”

Bostrom explained that several weeks before Daytona he developed an ear infection. Though he kept it quiet, this led to some physical problems that didn’t at all mesh well with racing high speed motorcycles on some of the more demanding tracks on the planet.

“I just wasn’t the same guy all year,” said Bostrom. “My balance was off and my depth perception wasn’t right, which forced me to be stiff and tentative on the bike. We tested some at Brainerd and Mid Ohio recently and I was starting to feel a bit better. I pedaled my butt off on my road bike and things slowly started coming around. I got my balance back, then my eyesight cleared up. And I knew right there that’d we’d be on it for Laguna.”

The win at Laguna Seca is Bostrom’s second Laguna win of his career. In 1999, Bostrom scored the first win of his career at Laguna. He the followed that up with a double win in 2001, returning back to the States while racing the World GP circuit.

“The bike was awesome, so was the team,” said Bostrom. “And this time the rider performed well!”

In front of an estimated 90,000-plus fans, Bostrom, who also won the pole position, held off a late race charge from rival Mat Mladin to win by a half second. The win was Bostrom’s first AMA Superbike win since August of 1999 (Brainerd). Bostrom's currently in sixth place overall in this year’s AMA Superbike class standings - easily within striking distance of the top five.

“It feels good to be up there on top of the podium and I plan on staying there,” he added.

The next round for Bostrom will be July 23-25 at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.

Bostrom is sponsored by: American Honda, MotoGP Leather Suits and Gloves, Suomy, Alpinestars Boots, Parts Unlimited, Red Bull and Dunlop.

From OMS Sports

Read more at http://www.2wf.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts