Believe It or Not........
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.local10.com/news/13813150/detail.html

Destitute Man Heir To $50,000 Inheritance
51-Year-Old Man Hadn't Spoken To Family In Almost 2 Decades

POSTED: 10:12 am EDT August 3, 2007
UPDATED: 1:47 pm EDT August 3, 2007

MIAMI -- A homeless man who hadn't spoken to his family in nearly two decades was found Friday after his family made public their effort to track him down and present him with a $50,000 inheritance.

His family last saw Randy Chapman, 51, 19 years ago. At the time, he demanded $1,000 to take a test to see whether he could provide a bone marrow transplant for his brother who suffered from leukemia. He didn't match, and Chapman hadn't talked to them since.

Throughout the years, he had many run-ins with the police, but when his aunt, Pearl Hauenstein, died in 2000, she left him the money.

His cousin, Mae Lou Howard, hired a private detective to find him.

"I can't believe it," Chapman told The Miami Herald upon learning of his small fortune. "I don't even know her. I'm so grateful."

Chapman found out about the search and money while at his job as a picketer for the United Brotherhood of Carpenters union. He earns about $20 a day.

Chapman moved from Kentucky to South Florida in the late 1970s and has been arrested at least seven times since then. He was last arrested two weeks ago on trespassing charges outside a Miami public school.

"He deserves a life," Howard said. "He hasn't had anything up to now."

Chapman said Friday he was determined to turn his life around.

"I'm not going to blow it," he said.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Hopefully he'll get it together. He at least had a job.

Even if it was "as a picketer for the United Brotherhood of Carpenters union" for "about $20 a day". That's funny in a sick way. Not a carpenter. Not ever on strike for bad work conditions. Just a proxy to stand in for the union guys. For $20 a *day*. The picketers should form a union and go on strike. I can see the sign now: "Shame on UBC, Unfair to Picketers". :lol

PhilB

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
jk750 said:
He'll blow it in 6 months.
there was a special on tv about a guy who was givin $100,000 ... same type of situation... it was a documentary.

he got himself a place to live, got cleaned up, got a few vehicles, bought some vehicles for some nasty woman he was messing around with, spent a fortune on alcohol... and paid for his apartment for like a year. Gambled a lot, and was back on the streets after it was gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.