Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I got to take my friend's Hayabusa for a 20 minute ride and all I can say is WOW!! I don't know if I can find words to describe what it is like to ride that thing. It is hard to believe that a bike as powerful and heavy as it is so smooth and handles as well as it does. It was immediately comfortable and very controllable. I went through some nice corners and reduced his chickenstrips to about 3/8" and never felt like it was riding me. Contrary to many peoples beliefs it is not a bike that pulls the front off the ground all the time, in fact it is hard to do unless you really want to. He was going about 50 on it, revved it up and dumped the clutch and it actually broke the rear tire loose. The torque on that bike is mind boggling and you feel it literally pulling your arms under hard acceleration. I was going about 70mph in 3rd gear and slammed it open on a medium length straight stretch and the speedo spun up to 150mph in a matter of seconds, holy crap!! This bike is very streetable and could easily be ridden every day and even tear up corners. It is not as flickable as a 600 but no slouch either. I rode a ZX-12 Ninja before and there is no comparison as the Ninja doesn't have as much pull as the Busa and handles like total shit, it isn't as comfortable either. It was an incredible experience and I just wanted to share it with you all in case someone is considering a Busa for a sport touring bike because I would say "get one!". I personally wouldn't get one because the looks don't really appeal to me like the R1 and I want a pure sport bike because I like corners so much. :cheers

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Awesome.

Just the look of the Busa has intimidated me.

(I am awaiting my chance to try out an R1.)

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Cool!

Always nice to hear 'boot other bikes, especially from fellow FZ6ers!!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
i think the busa is ugly, and the busa will always loose speed in the corners to an R1

·
Registered
581 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
i think the busa is ugly, and the busa will always loose speed in the corners to an R1
The only part of the 'Buza I don't like is the tail section, but it has aerodynamic purpose, so you've got to live with it. I've imagined the 'Buza w. a drop-forged, Single Sided Swing Arm, like the Aprilia Futura or the Honda Interceptor. Put matching saddle-bags on it and it would be the perfect Sport-Touring bike (for me). Nothing could touch it.

Must tell you that I know a guy who wound his 'Buza up on the I-90 into Seattle for the first time. He noted 3 interesting things: 1. When he looked down, he was doing 185 after just a couple secconds. 2. When he raised his head just bit above the wind-screen, the airflow nearly ripped him clean off the bike. 3. Once he slowed back down to 90, he said riding at 'normal' speeds on 'Buza and in passenger cars was never the same. - Felt so boring, just like standing still. I'm not going to get on a 'Buza 'cause I'm sure I'll have the same reaction, and I don't want to spoil the fun I'm having on FZ6 right now. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I really like the hayabusa, even the styling (except for the strange rear, yes). I hope they continue to improve it for the next few years before I'm ready to change bikes, but I've heard that the 2006 will be the last year for it. Who knows whether this is true or not.

As of now, even if I wasn't happy with the FZ I couldn't get a busa out of fear of the insurance costs. I really don't care for the track (at least not at this point in time) so I get the feeling that the R1s and GSXR1000s of the world would not give me the best experience for what I use my bike for.

'busa with underseat or dual high mounts would be cool. :p

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
why would they get rid of it when there are so many still being sold? go to a bike show and count the busas, they will be more than half of the sport bikes.

·
Thread Killer
255 Posts
This is probably not relevant, but I got nobody else to tell about it...

I pulled up next to a 'busa a couple of days ago at a stoplight. It looked like a pretty new one. Very clean, at least. The guy had on camo shorts, a ripped up tank top, running shoes (no socks) and one of those tiny beanie helmets. He wouldn't even glance over at me. I haven't decided if he was a clown or the coolest guy I have ever seen. :nerd

The bike was definitely awesome, though. I was glad he was turning left so he didn't walk off and embarrass me.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
FZ6nIT said:
The only part of the 'Buza I don't like is the tail section, but it has aerodynamic purpose, so you've got to live with it. I've imagined the 'Buza w. a drop-forged, Single Sided Swing Arm, like the Aprilia Futura or the Honda Interceptor. Put matching saddle-bags on it and it would be the perfect Sport-Touring bike (for me). Nothing could touch it.

Yeah but, all that aerodynamic "stuff" and the rider is still the most un-aerodynamic part of the motorcycle.

FYI, Ducati's new V4 GP bike does 205 mph and it is not ugly like the busa...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretender said:
This is probably not relevant, but I got nobody else to tell about it...

I pulled up next to a 'busa a couple of days ago at a stoplight. It looked like a pretty new one. Very clean, at least. The guy had on camo shorts, a ripped up tank top, running shoes (no socks) and one of those tiny beanie helmets. He wouldn't even glance over at me. I haven't decided if he was a clown or the coolest guy I have ever seen. :nerd

The bike was definitely awesome, though. I was glad he was turning left so he didn't walk off and embarrass me.
I can't stand squids! :squid

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
squids make me laugh. the only thing we can hope for, is that they are a true squid on the inside and get scared about one little thing and stop riding.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Pretender said:
Embarrass you? Why would you ever be embarrassed by anyone or anything, especially a squid? You've got a totally slick bike in the FZ6 and you should be proud of it. It cost you a pile of money less than the Busa, it costs you less in insurance than the Busa, its more practical day to day than the Busa, gets better gas mileage than the Busa and it makes you less of a poser than most Busa riders.

Man, it pisses me off to read all these people talking about the FZ6 like it is a lesser bike. Its a damn fine ride, be proud of it!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Heavy...I couldn't agree more. You forgot to mention the FZ6 is a MUCH better looking bike too ;)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Embarrass you? Why would you ever be embarrassed by anyone or anything, especially a squid? You've got a totally slick bike in the FZ6 and you should be proud of it. It cost you a pile of money less than the Busa, it costs you less in insurance than the Busa, its more practical day to day than the Busa, gets better gas mileage than the Busa and it makes you less of a poser than most Busa riders.

Man, it pisses me off to read all these people talking about the FZ6 like it is a lesser bike. Its a damn fine ride, be proud of it!
How about the fact that the FZ6 has HALF the engine of the 'busa? You've giving up 700 cc's. It's more or less a given that you're going to get walked.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A 'Busa on the steet is about the same as a Ferrari in NYC. All that power and not a chance in hell to use it, wisely. It seems most people buy the 'Busa for status and not for riding enjoyment. I like the 600cc engines because they're cheaper on insurance, better gas mileage and IMO you can get the most out of it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
CerebralAssassin said:
A 'Busa on the steet is about the same as a Ferrari in NYC. All that power and not a chance in hell to use it, wisely. It seems most people buy the 'Busa for status and not for riding enjoyment. I like the 600cc engines because they're cheaper on insurance, better gas mileage and IMO you can get the most out of it.
Right on! I too feel that we can use the FZ6 more fully to its design intentions - on a daily basis (and in a legal fashion) - than a Busa' could ever hope for.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Any more power than the FZ6 is way way too overkill for the streets. Sure would like an R1 for the tracks, though.:fiddy

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
there should be a button for liter and liter plus bikes, city mode and highway mode. for city knock down the displacement to 500/600 cc and switch it back for highway and crusing. before i get flamed i know this really is not possible, the only thing that would work it shutting off 2 cylinders, like they do for V6 and V8 cars that get knocked down to 4.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
there should be a button for liter and liter plus bikes, city mode and highway mode. for city knock down the displacement to 500/600 cc and switch it back for highway and crusing. before i get flamed i know this really is not possible, the only thing that would work it shutting off 2 cylinders, like they do for V6 and V8 cars that get knocked down to 4.
With the current fuel injection systems it would be entirely possible. I doubt they'd shut down cyliners but it would be easy to program the FI to limit power output. They already do with with the Triumph Rocket III. I think its 1st and 2nd gears they limit the power output.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts