Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, prolly going to end up getting my first bike here and im going to be on a fairly tight gear budget. I got prices from newenough for HJC helmets for 160 bucks. Now I am just wondering is the only reason these shoeis arais etc are more xpensive is cause of like better venting/features/weight/name recognition? If I fall in a HJC will it hold up and not break or something? Or does any1 else know some decent helmets in the low to mid 200's. I've found a few barely used shoie/arai/suomy lids on ebay but don't know how that will turn out. Anyways any help would be great thanks.

·
Procrastinator
36 Posts
All of the helmets over here have to meeta minimum standard, so anything with the appropriate sticker is good to go. The really good stuff is Snell rated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got an ARAI for a bit over 200 on closeout. I was using a KBC before and the visor would flip up when I checked my blindspot, also it would fog up faster due to less ventilation and the foam was getting kinda crappy from wearing it all the time.

I think that the extra money spent on an ARAI, AGV, Shoei or suomy is money well spent.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy a used helmet, but that's me. Anyways, I suggest trying on helmets befor purchasing them online. As long as it meets requirements it should protect your noggin. The only reason some people pay more money for helmets is features, comfort, brand name and designs. I wear a KBC Racer-1 and it does the job, but I'd like to get an X-11 or Corsair because they are lighter and ventilate as well or better than my KBC. So figure out what fits you, then what features you want and then get whatever is closest to what you want that is within your price range.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve got an OGK FF4, I love it! Paid $215 for it barely used. Its one of the lightest helmets I have ever owned. It meets Snell, Bsi and ECE. I also have a Suomy Spec 1R Bostrom, the overall fit is ok...but I just love the look of the helmet. I also got it used for $250 off eBay. I would suggest you go to your local dealer and try on a bunch of different brands and note the size that fits you, then hit up eBay!

·
Registered
912 Posts
i got a KBC VR1 Euro. It cost 200 a year ago and it is DOT and SNELL approved. No complaints on it. Good venting too. I always wear it and i ride year round in AZ with temps up to 115. I wouldn't buy a used helmet.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Man you've gotta call your rents or pawn some useless shit around the house don't skimp on gear!! DO NOT buy a used helmet! Go to a bike shop and try on diffrent brands cuse even though there the same size they will fit diffrently.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Everyone else has pretty much covered the issues. Any helmet with DOT and SNELL approvals should protect you well.

The one issue that I didn't notice yet is noise. Some of the less expensive helmets have reputations of being really noisy. Ear plugs will help that and should be worn anyway.

The visor flipping up when turning your head would be the one that would worry me the most. That comes up on these boards every so often with some of the less expensive lids.

Depending on the temperatures where you live and how long your rides will be, ventillation and lower weight may be definite plusses. More $$ also usually gets you removable pads which can be used to fine-tune the fit as well as cleaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts