Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couiple of months ago I took my bike in for a check-up/oil change. Ever since then my front tire has been making a high pitch noise when I go around 50 mph or higher. It never used to make that noise. It sounds like the tire noise you can hear from 18 wheelers at night. I suppose I could just take it back the dealer, but I figure it's probably something like a brake adjustment or some other tweak. Anybody have any suggestions? Is it easy to adjust the brake if that's what it is?

·
Bike/Bass Master
779 Posts
I don't think it's brakes or chain...I've been thinking about this for a bit...why only at higher speeds ? 50+ mph. Tranny problems ? Maybe the chain but...50 mph, I think a chain noise would happen all the time or at a much slower speed. If it's the brakes, the noise would change when you apply the front brake. Keep trouble shooting...Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. Here are my answers to the questions:

-Yes, there is oil in the bike
-No, I'm not sure it is the front wheel, it just sounds like tire noise coming from the front
-They probably did adjust the chain, I'm going to check that out when I get home from work
-Yes, I still have the original Bridgestone tires, but like I said, the bike didn't make that noise before I took it in for service
-I probably notice it when I go 50+ because that when it's loud enough to hear it.

·
butt marker
1,715 Posts
I think that the batch of tires in 04 all do this after 8000 miles. Mine started right after the service too. They changed the tire pressure 3 lbs lower. That changed the profile of the tire and made the noise appear. Higher pressure reduced it, but change the tires and it will go away completely. Trust me. I went crazy trying to figure out the same problem.

·
Minnesota Bound
84 Posts
Bitchin' Post

Agree, this sounds like a common symptom of the chain being too tight, particularly the part about happening at speeds of 50+.

Earlier this summer, I brought my Yamaha FZ6 in for it's first service check (600 miles). Immediately after getting the bike back, I noticed a strange noise, a whiny, howlish kind of sound when driving at highway speeds. I thought it might be the front tire or the front suspension, I had just upped the preload on the rear. A friend mentioned that this could be caused by the chain being too tight, I ignored his comment because, of course, I had just had the bike in for service! Well, last week I went to lubricate the chain, and guess what? It was a taught as a guitar string. After buying a torque wrench and an 32 mm socket at Pep Boys, I adjusted the tension myself, and the noise went away.

I'm really surprised that something this obvious could have been overlooked, and it makes me wonder what else was skipped or mucked up. Last time I'm going to have anything done at a dealership that I can do myself. Not to name names, but the dealership name might rhyme with "Bitchin' Post" and be located in Hopkins, MN. :brick

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wondered about this. I'm on my second set of tires, different brands, and I have that howling noise at highway speeds. I was told it was the roads here and that other peoples bikes do the exact same thing. the chain does feel a little tight. i just had the tires put on in july, so that would have been the last chain adjustment.

·
Minnesota Bound
84 Posts
Feeling a little tight?

magnum said:
...the chain does feel a little tight.
It always surprises me how much free-play is correct. Manual says a couple of inches (1.77 to 2.17 inches or 45 to 55 mm). When I did the adjustment, I thought, "God, that's got to be too much!" but I measured it and it's correct. The diagram in the manual even shows the upper limit up around the bottom edge of the swing arm.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
snaber said:
It always surprises me how much free-play is correct. Manual says a couple of inches (1.77 to 2.17 inches or 45 to 55 mm). When I did the adjustment, I thought, "God, that's got to be too much!" but I measured it and it's correct. The diagram in the manual even shows the upper limit up around the bottom edge of the swing arm.

Remeber also, sitting on your bike takes up some of the slack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.