Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
high-beams: who drives with them on?

A friend of mine told me that if a cop see's you with your highbeams on during the day that they'll give you a ticket... do you'll ride with your beams high?

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
High beams are always on during the day; keep them off at night if there's oncoming traffic. Never once had a problem with police and I've passed my share of them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same here - always on during the day and most of the time at night. I have friends that are local PD and others that are CHP and none have ever said anything to me about it.

I figure ANYTHING to help the cager see and avoid hitting me is a benefit.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
775 Posts
I generally run high beams unless I am in slow stop and go traffic...I have an old battery and I am trying to minimize the load on it.

I also keep my finger ready to hit the hi/low beam swith to flash cagers when going through intersections.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
EMMM TREE said:
i keep em off, even in the day

i love the one -eyed look on my f4i
I'm sick and tired of the age-old comment, "I think you have a light out."

Plus drivers are def. more apt to see you sooner. Much safer to ride with high-beams on during the day, IMO.

·
Registered
496 Posts
highkav said:
Highbeams on unless it is dark outside. Never had any problems with cops.

That doesn't make to much sense to me?? I ride with my low beams on during the day and high beams all night at night.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That doesn't make to much sense to me?? I ride with my low beams on during the day and high beams all night at night.
It would make more sense if you look at it from the standpoint that lights aren't all that bright during the day; another reason to ride with high beams on during the day is that at night, if your high beam filament goes, then you won't be blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Something to think about is that high beam dazzles the drivers/riders coming towards you (even in daylight), so they are less able to judge your speed, so low beams are safer as they can actually see the front of the bike and the rider and are more able to judge your speed whilst still seeing you.

Also, riding/driving with full beam on really pisses off other riders/drivers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i used to constantly run only low beams, but now i never turn my high beams off, night or day, heavy traffic or not...........

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Got_1 said:
A friend of mine told me that if a cop see's you with your highbeams on during the day that they'll give you a ticket... do you'll ride with your beams high?
That would suck if they can pull you over for that. If thats the case then it's a loose loose situation for me. I got pulled over for having one of my "lights out". Just one of the many, many bull shit excuses for cops to pull you over. I had to explain to him that only one light actually lights up and the other is the high beam. He had to get out of the car to check it out. There is no happy medium for me. I get pulled over for having one out and if you can get pulled over for having high beams on then im sure i'll get nabbed for that. Especially the way my summer has been going latley. Already got pulled over 3 times, why not get pulled over for more BS :D

And i would rather piss off other people then have them not see me. If there pissed then at least they know im there.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha,, when i bought my gixxer right off the lott my mom goes "look the light doesnt even work".. one of the many people that i had to explain to, High beam-low beam.. get it..

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Got_1 said:
haha,, when i bought my gixxer right off the lott my mom goes "look the light doesnt even work".. one of the many people that i had to explain to, High beam-low beam.. get it..
I have people yelling at me in traffic letting me know i have a light out. "Dude! Your lights out!!" Like they are all proud of pointing it out :lol. I was behind a guy in a jeep and he pulls up to a stop sign and waves me to come over just so he could tell me i have a light out.

I don't mind, I mean they are just trying to help out and be nice. Thats better then the ones yelling "Wheelie!!!!" when your in the middle of traffic. I just explain the hole high-beam, low-beam thing and be on my way. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
BusaHaya402 said:
i used to constantly run only low beams, but now i never turn my high beams off, night or day, heavy traffic or not...........

same here. high beams, all the time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got_1 said:
I'd take the ticket, and see him in court. Then I would show the judge, which he should already know, that in the state issued manual it tells you you should use highbeams during the daylight hours.

I never turn mine off, I don't do any riding at night anyways. Today was the first time I ticked someone off. He bumped his brakes a few times, then later down the road was riding them. I just figured he was drunk. Anyways, he turned off, then I slowly realized it was probably because I had my highs on. It was a bit overcast, too, and that was the first time anyone has gotten irritated.

Oh well, at least I know I wasn't invisible to him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you have to be an idiot to ride with your highbeams on at night when you are going past traffic.

First of all, you are blinding them which is very rude. Second, its illegal and if you pass a cop you will get a ticket. Third, it is hard for them to see the road - they are blinded! It is much more dangerous for you.

If I see a bike coming towards me at night with his highbeams on, f-him, he's getting blasted back with my highbeams. Just cuz we ride bikes doesn't mean we are allowed to put everyone else on the road in danger.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts