Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my 2005 R6 for a while now and have come across a minor(?) problem. My right headlight only works on high beam, when I switch it down to low, nothing at all. I just swapped out the bulbs to make sure It wasn't anything stupid like that but I got no idea.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'd rather not take it in just for someone to tell me it was a 20 second job I could have done if I wasn't such an idiot

~C

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
^^^What He said.^^^

The story I heard behind the single low beam/dual high beam is this:

Back when dual headlights became all the rage, an unforseen safety issue arose. At night, a dual-lamp motorcycle nearing an intersection doesn't look like a motorcycle nearing an intersection, but rather, it looks like a car at a great distance from the intersection. (Remember, all an observer would see is two headlights...close together.) While you and I might think 'motorcycle', grandma in her Buick would think "lots of time to turn left before that car gets here".

Sooooo....assuming that folks generally ride at night using only the low beam, manufacturers began making the low beam a single bulb. Grandma sees one light and (hopefully) she will think motorcycle.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
Gaaah... and I was so lovin' my dual headlights on the tls..
Now I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get that triple-light freight train look.. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies all. I feel more stupid and more educated at the same time if that's possible ;)

~C

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
hozhead said:
:popcorn :lao Don't mean to laugh at you but its funny that you replaced bulbs not realizing everything was just fine.

First bike?
Now we can have both family/friends AND other riders telling us we have headlights out! :lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hozhead said:
:popcorn :lao Don't mean to laugh at you but its funny that you replaced bulbs not realizing everything was just fine.

First bike?
Actually Yeah, first one I've owned anyway. And I was planning on changing the bulbs out for blues anyway. Just never noticed that that side had never lit up. I've only taken it out twice for a couple quick runs because of lack of a license plate (to be remedied next thursday when I have the cash to register the damn thing).

And laughing is cool. Means the lesson sticks with ya and you have ammo for the next time your friends tell you something is FUBARd

~C

1 - 9 of 9 Posts