Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying I was pretty happy with my stock headlights, in sharp contrast to most of the folks on this board.

I got a good deal on some HIDs, went for it.

These are just replacement bulbs, so if you don't like the stock pattern, that AIN'T GONNA CHANGE. You will just get more, whiter, brighter light.

I think my package was the "older" design, with integrated ballast and starters. Coupled with them being a bit large, I didn't even try to fit both under the windshield area.

I found a great place to mount on on the left side, hard bolted, and a zip tie to ensure it doesn't rotate down and rub on the radiator hose. This is looking at the left frame spar, just under the top cover panel between the fairing and frame:

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I could have fit the right on inside the fairing, on the outside of the glove box, but I couldn't figure out a good way to get in there to bolt it in place, so it went under the windshield:

I modified the stock rubber covers on the lights to accept the rubber grommet on my new light's cables.

I removed the old bulbs, insert the new, hooked the leads into the factory light connector (that had plugged directly to the back of the stock bulb). Due to the size of the connector, it's a bit of stuff to cram into the rubber cover. They fit though.

There's 3 sets of cables that run between the ballast/starter and the bulb's pigtail. They were long enough to be able to locate the ballast a fair distance, as shown by how I mounted the left one.

The left one hides pretty well, the right one I think I'll get something to cover the cables better

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Results?

I'm pretty happy. I am not overwhelmed, but I am glad I got them. I will be doing them on my pickup truck next. They make the stock lights look sickly yellow.

The light is so much whiter, and it's brighter. My bulbs are the 6k color

I didn't have to use relays, or run wiring to the battery. Pretty simple install.

Of course, no good project goes unpunished. Went for a ride when it got dark, got about 1 mile when I saw the CHECK ENGINE light was on.

Went back home, pulled the seat (reason #37 OND) to clear the computer, so I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected, check light cleared. Good to go.

I may try adjusting them up a bit higher, since they are plenty bright and can throw pretty far. I didn't have anyone flashing me tonight, so I guess I can try them a bit higher

1 - 3 of 3 Posts