Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Been lurking for a few weeks and I finally decided to join. I am currently in the middle of taking my MSF and I have some questions for you folks. When coming to a stop, whats the best way to downshift? I am being told downshifting into lower gears, while good for engine braking places alot of wear and tear on the engine. Do you just pull in the clutch and downshift into first or do you row thru all the gears? Also they keep telling us when you get a tankslapper you actually need to brake. I thought you actually gassed it a bit to get the front up a tad to straighten out the wheel. Any input on this? Also, I am thinking of signing up for a novice trackday in October and I was wondering if that would be too soon? What do they teach you at these track days? input is greatly appreciated from you guys. This seems like a great forum for bikes. Also, anyone in the Coral Springs area of SE fla?

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

I think you'll find a wide range of choices on what method is best to downshift. I normally clutch in and downshift to the gear I want, just make sure your RPM's match good.

For the tank slapper, you first want to keep a loose grip, don't try and fight it. I'm not sure about the powering out thing.

Enjoy your stay here :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
welcome aboard, like what was said earlier, you will find many useful opinion and ideas. some that differ from others.
As for down shifting coming to a stop, I try to not use the gear box and just pull the clutch in and apply mostly the front brake.

As for the dreaded tank slapper, don't fight it, stay back of the front end and try to keep a steady throttle. Letting of the gas will only make it worse.

Good luck and have a good time on this site.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hiya! I don't row through the gears...I'd rather let the brakes do their job. For a tankslapper, keep a loose grip and try not to give the bike any inputs (I'd actually think braking would be pretty detrimental).

Trackday in October is probably too soon. In fact, they might not even let you, most places want a year experience first. Is this your first bike? Good luck, wear gear, be safe.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
The downshifting amounts to personal preference - using the motor won't cause "excessive:" wear, and can be helpful..

Tankslapper? Don't fight with the bars. and gassing it can help the bike get it straightened out again - Braking can definitely cause it to geet worse by loading the front tire more when it's dancing!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder why they teach you to brake during a tankslapper in the MSF. They teach you not to fight the bars but also to give it a little brake, wonder why. Yes it is my first bike (I can hear the groans now 'nother noob with a 600'). But it was a good deal and I got a good friend whos been riding for years to help me out and learn. I always wear full gear (Helmet, jacket, boots, pants, and gloves), even in it's-so-hot-you-wish-you-were-dead, south florida. I'll probably just head to parking lots for the first few weeks to get used to the bike and basic riding skills. Also, if anyone who wants to help me down here in s. fla I would greatly appreciate it since my other buddy is often busy. NO SQUIDDING IS A MUST!!

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
liquidsniper said:
I wonder why they teach you to brake during a tankslapper in the MSF. They teach you not to fight the bars but also to give it a little brake, wonder why.
I'm no longer current on my MSF instruction qualification, but I'm guessing that someone brought up the tankslapper, it's not normally addressed as part of the curriculum.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
liquidsniper said:
I wonder why they teach you to brake during a tankslapper in the MSF. They teach you not to fight the bars but also to give it a little brake, wonder why. Yes it is my first bike (I can hear the groans now 'nother noob with a 600'). But it was a good deal and I got a good friend whos been riding for years to help me out and learn. I always wear full gear (Helmet, jacket, boots, pants, and gloves), even in it's-so-hot-you-wish-you-were-dead, south florida. I'll probably just head to parking lots for the first few weeks to get used to the bike and basic riding skills. Also, if anyone who wants to help me down here in s. fla I would greatly appreciate it since my other buddy is often busy. NO SQUIDDING IS A MUST!!
If you have the perfect touch I guess you could use a little brake. But with all my years on a MX & streetbikes I would never look for any brakes with headshake. There is to little room for error with it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome, I personally shift down through all the gears 99% of the time. Depending on the situation, I do it at lower or higher revs and of course "blip" the throttle while doing it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually it was addressed in the curriculum. I didn't expect to find it in there either but it was. Ya, as far as correcting a tankslapper I'm probably better off not following that advice. Also, how much do steering dampers reduce the chances of getting one? I am thinking about putting one on my bike.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
A steering damper is a huge help in preventing them (it stops them before they become a slapper). And I still don't think it's in the MSF's curriculum - your local instructors added it I'll bet. The two instructors I've spoke to since my last post both say it's not in the curriculum.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I am an idiot. Someone :bitchslap me I misread the handbook. :brick

Who makes a good steering damper? I've been doing a little research on them and GPR has an adjustable one it seems like. Are the others adjustable? What would I be adjusting?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts