Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all, I just moved up here from Georgia with my fiance', Dan. We really don't know anyone up here, so I've been quite discuraged, 'cause I miss all the groups and bike nights in Ga.. And of course these crappy roads! I just wanted to say hi, and inquire on any bike nights in the area. All we have found are some draggers, and we have nothing in common with those types. Oh well Hi!

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I'm not extremely familiar with charlotte, but I do know of one place that does bike nights. Quaker Steak & Lube. A+ food and service, and a nice environment there. From what I understand, their bike nights draw a very large crowd.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:cheers

Hi. Fellow newbie in Charlotte.

Yeah, you may want to check out Quaker Steak. On a good night it draws quite a few bikes & even more cars to look at all the bikes. I've gone a few weeks, just hung out, and get tips on riding ( I'm a newb at riding as well as to this board ) from whoever's willing to talk.

Not a bad place to check out and see some of the locals. It leans more towards Harleys, cruisers, & custom choppers. They have a live band that plays classic rock & what not. But that hasn't stopped a few of us sport bike riders from going up and chillin'.

Give it a try.

Welcome to the area.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JayMax said:
:cheers

Hi. Fellow newbie in Charlotte.

Yeah, you may want to check out Quaker Steak. On a good night it draws quite a few bikes & even more cars to look at all the bikes. I've gone a few weeks, just hung out, and get tips on riding ( I'm a newb at riding as well as to this board ) from whoever's willing to talk.

Not a bad place to check out and see some of the locals. It leans more towards Harleys, cruisers, & custom choppers. They have a live band that plays classic rock & what not. But that hasn't stopped a few of us sport bike riders from going up and chillin'.

Give it a try.

Welcome to the area.
Thanks :lao Man, I though Tragik was being funny. The name of the place sounds like a gas station. Thank you guys, is there a particular night y'all go out there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey. My bad, I didn't even think. Weds nite is bike night. People start showing up in the evening. I've been there as early as 7:30pm and as late as about 10pm. At about 7:30 - 8pm is when the place is at it's peak, it starts to wind down at about 10pm and later.

Yeah, I hadn't heard of the place before I moved here, but realized it's actually a chain based on posts put here elsewhere. Seems there's one in FL that has a great bike nite.

I can't say a particular bike nite I will go to, since I tend to just follow some co-workers out there. I don't know many people in the area, so I'll go with them, and meet people thru the group.

Not sure if anyone here goes to there, but next time I am sure I am going I will shoot you a pm. :)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Jhon_750 said:
Thanks :lao Man, I though Tragik was being funny. The name of the place sounds like a gas station. Thank you guys, is there a particular night y'all go out there?
:lol Nope...wasn't kidding. ;)

The place (on the outside) looks like a old gas station/repair shop. Inside has bike's hanging from the ceiling on one side (smoking section) and cars (i think) on the other.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They've got some badass wings at that place too

·
Registered
801 Posts
Welcome to Charlotte. I just moved to Alpharetta. Actually, I live both in Charlotte and Alpharetta; depending on where the my work needs me.

Again, welcome. Maybe will run into at Quaker Steak. Hacking was there this past Wed. All in all, a pretty good time. There's a wesite for Charlotte riders as well. Oh, were you at VIR South earlier this year?

K

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
madman748 said:
Welcome to Charlotte. I just moved to Alpharetta. Actually, I live both in Charlotte and Alpharetta; depending on where the my work needs me.

Again, welcome. Maybe will run into at Quaker Steak. Hacking was there this past Wed. All in all, a pretty good time. There's a wesite for Charlotte riders as well. Oh, were you at VIR South earlier this year?

K
Yea, but not on the R6. Why?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I thought I recongnized you from your photo. How'd your fair? You were riding in the same group as my brother. You looked very confident and comfortable.

K

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good but slooooooow. It was my first track day, and as I am with anything, I start out real slow, and gradually increase speed. It is just frusterating at first.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hey welcome to Charlotte. I live in the University area. Nice to see another girl around here riding. What type of riding do you do? I've been here for about 2 years now...still trying to find descent roads. Most just street ride around town, to and from school, etc. We should get up sometime and ride.

Kristin

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MV5890 said:
Hey welcome to Charlotte. I live in the University area. Nice to see another girl around here riding. What type of riding do you do? I've been here for about 2 years now...still trying to find descent roads. Most just street ride around town, to and from school, etc. We should get up sometime and ride.

Kristin
I live in the university area too. I have not seen many chicks riding up here. I just moved up in Dec., and in Ga. I went to the mtns. at least twice a week, I just love tearing up 129 down there. As for finding decent roads up here, good luck, let me know if you do. I just ride around now, with friends or running errands. We should def. ride. I go to Ga. evey couple of weeks 'cause I have a house down there and my family, luckily I had an extra '04YZF600r that I put down there a couple months ago so I can hit the roads with my friends still.

Rosa

·
Registered
552 Posts
I rode for about 3 hours today. Something like that. Only hit up one twisty road. Rocky River Rd. and it isn't even all that twisty. I'll show it to ya sometime. I'm a slow ass though so I'll just tell you the road and then catch up with ya at the next stop sign. HAHA

You got AIM or an email I can catch you at in the meantime? It looks like the next couple days are going to be shitty. It's raining here now. Glad I got some riding in today.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ya guys shoulda tried the backroads way to Rockingham. We went this weekend taking 49 ( University Blvd ) to 73, and followed that out. Great ride. Especially when it opened up more out in the country and near some mountain park.

You'll find that a few of the roads off of 485 going towards Harris Blvd have mild little roads with slow twists. The next exit over - Harrisburgh Rd., actually turns into Pence Rd., it's a little longer than Rocky River Rd., and has a turn or two.

I myself have been checking out roads looking for a decent ride home from work. I drive thru the University city area every day. Taking Harris from work sucks, as it's too much stop & go for me. So I take a round about way, getting on 485, than taking the exits that run back into Harris. The ride is a few miles longer, but a helluva lot more enjoyable & only adds a few minutes to my ride.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Isn't Charlotte like an hour away from the mountains?
if i remember it's like 2 hours to Ashville.... :fiddy
but then again it's been a while since i lived in NC :beer

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
wow you're up early :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts