Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done this before and I started to do it a month or more ago and decided I must not know what i'm doing. I know I have to remove the top of the tripple tree. (what ever its called) its the pc that the two fork tubes run through. um i can see some allen head bolts that have it secured but even when they are removed it still doesnt just lift off. are there any other bolts im missing? something around the ignition maybe? I have to get this off so that my clip ons will slide off the fork tubes. anyone that knows PLEASE give me some detailed instruction. I'd be in your debt.

Thanks!
Chuck

·
Registered
475 Posts
You must turn the bars all the way to one side to remove the top yolk (triple tree), otherwise the ignition lock will foul on a headstock casting. Also, the stock clipons are bolted to the underside of the top yolk, so those bolts need to be removed as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turn the bars? I can't see how this makes a difference. also there apears to be "possibly" two bolts on either side of the ignition switch area/guard. it looks like they might be bolts that are placed up into the sleeves of the guard from underneath. anyone with a 7R will notice this if they look. are these bolts? if so what size?

I know there are a some people with a lot of experience with taking these bikes apart. plz help out if you can.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What you have to do is turn the bars all the way to the right and the upper will lift off. You may have to use a flathead with a little prying but it will come off. In addition to the obvious pinch bolts there are two more underneath the triple that hold the clip-on in place. That's four bolts in all two on each side. I had to tighten up my head bearing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Amish Marauder said:
turn the bars? I can't see how this makes a difference.
As was stated already, you MUST turn the bars all the way to the right to get the top tree off. This is due to the security feature of the head casting/ignition lock. Believe me, I've taken mine off several times and it's not possible unless you do this. Next, release the center nut, then the pinch bolts on the side of the tree itself. Then right under these are the pinch bolts for the clip-ons. Loosen these and (with the wheel all the way to the right) the whole assembly will slide off, with some wiggling. The clip-ons and ignition switch come with the tree. Once you get it off, you can flip it over to get to the alignment bolts (#92150 in the diagram) for the clip-ons. These are hard to get to from below, so take the whole assembly off first. The iginition switch is attached to the triple tree with rivets. This is a security feature. The heads of the rivets can be drilled off and replaced with screws if you want, but there is a connector in the wire harness that runs into the frame. Pull it out a little bit, unplug it, and you'll have the top tree/ignition switch free.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replies guys! so I feel im getting closer but I still have one problem. I did everything you guys told me to do including turning the steering to the extreme right. nothing. it does not come off. I tried prying it a bit but was worried I'd damage the aluminum. now I see this one area that might be causing my grief. please look at inclosed jpeg and tell me what you think. it looks as if there might be two more bolts holding the upper down. look like the ignition is mounted to it this way as well. I can't see up in there and i can feel a bolt but If it IS a bolt then im not sure what tool to use because it seems like its actually the down side of a bolt where the nut is, and every socket i have doesn't grab anything. what do you guys think??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Amish Marauder said:
thanks for all the replies guys! so I feel im getting closer but I still have one problem. I did everything you guys told me to do including turning the steering to the extreme right. nothing. it does not come off. I tried prying it a bit but was worried I'd damage the aluminum. now I see this one area that might be causing my grief. please look at inclosed jpeg and tell me what you think. it looks as if there might be two more bolts holding the upper down. look like the ignition is mounted to it this way as well. I can't see up in there and i can feel a bolt but If it IS a bolt then im not sure what tool to use because it seems like its actually the down side of a bolt where the nut is, and every socket i have doesn't grab anything. what do you guys think??

Those rivets hold the ignition switch in place. They will not prevent you from removing the upper triple. Did you remove the two bolts underneath the upper triple that attach the clip-ons to the upper? There is one on each side. The handle bar blocks that area in your photo.

As long as you turn all the way to the right, all four bolts (two pinch bolts and two bolts underneath triple) are removed, it will come up. Like I said before, it will come up with some prying.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, what zx7Ryder said. Those are rivets. Forget about them. It will take some wiggling and working at it and you might try actually taking the 4 bolts out all together. I suggest you don't pry it up or you're liable to crack the plastic dust cap over the head bearings or ding the aluminum triple clamp. It's a TIGHT fit even with everything loose and you'll need to wiggle it off by putting one hand under the ignition switch and the other one the other side near the gas tank, like you were standing on the side of the bike facing the triple tree. Pull really hard while wiggling it front to back. Then sit on the bike and grab both sides and wiggle it side to side. Switch it up and go back to the front-back, then the side-side. It'll come. A little WD on the fork tubes might help it along if you want. Just take your time. And remember, do all this with the bars turned to the right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The bolts that zx7Ryder is talking about in his post are shown here by the arrow, but are behind the bars and attach the clip-ons to the triple tree. They are used to align the bars, and they are a pain-in-the-ass to get to. I've removed the bars without removing these bolts. If you don't remove them, then the bars will come off WITH the triple tree, so make sure that you loosen the pinch bolts on the front of the the clip-ons to.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts